Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm getting 33 hours a week free child care from sept, that's helps parents get back to work. That's a good thing.

I am surprised that someone who sees no value in assisting the development of our neighbours, thinks it is great for his neighbours to assist in the costs of raising his family.
We could save 11 billion and spend it all on the NHS if we scrapped child benefit too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Exactly. The impotent threat of "the BBC's future is in doubt" screams of "you'll never work in this town again"!
Pretty pathetic really.

The Tories would love to scrap Ofcom and have Fox News UK if they could get away with it. At least Whittingdale is off the scene

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Tories would love to scrap Ofcom and have Fox News UK if they could get away with it. At least Whittingdale is off the scene

One of the biggest issues I have with Brexit is that it's in the hands of the tories. It's not as if any other party is qualified to lead us out of Europe but the Tories really are the worst possible pair of hands to see us out of the EU. No solid plan, unrealistic expectations of the deals we can get, buffoons like Boris, and endless bluff and bluster and now cheap shots at the BBC. I mean really, haven't they got bigger things to concern themselves with right now?! It's a worry.

D

Deleted member 22389

I am surprised that someone who sees no value in assisting the development of our neighbours, thinks it is great for his neighbours to assist in the costs of raising his family.
We could save 11 billion and spend it all on the NHS if we scrapped child benefit too.

My wife has paid loads of tax over the years because of her earnings, I'm certainly not going to feel guilty for taking the 33 hours a week for our daughter. We both deserve some assistance from our government. Even when my wife got laid off last year, any financial assistance we could have got was hardly worth the hassle filling in the paperwork.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
In the BBC's defence, they did let Paxman loose on the EU in May 2016. That's the last programme I can recall that was critical of the EU, and so at least entertained why Brexit could be an option.

Their editorial stance now seems to be that Brexit has moved from 'unthinkable" to "impossible to execute.".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
One of the biggest issues I have with Brexit is that it's in the hands of the tories. It's not as if any other party is qualified to lead us out of Europe but the Tories really are the worst possible pair of hands to see us out of the EU. No solid plan, unrealistic expectations of the deals we can get, buffoons like Boris, and endless bluff and bluster and now cheap shots at the BBC. I mean really, haven't they got bigger things to concern themselves with right now?! It's a worry.

I expect they have numerous plans on how to handle the negotaitions. They have also set out some clear guidelines/positions re single market, free movement customs union, ECJ. Obviously they can't show all their cards pre negotiation. They also seem to be preparing the public for a no deal scenario which suggests they are being entirely realistic. Looking at the alternatives they are the only ones capable of taking us out.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I agree fully The Brexit gang of three are with the posability of Mr Fararge the worst people you could have chosen however who else is there Labour are a complete mess as are the Lib Dems it's only the SNP seem to have a plan and that involves breaking up the union, I fear with the resent election in Northern Ireland and the gains by the Republicans Ireland will be moving towards a united Ireland, UK politics is in disarray at the very time it needs to show leadership

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thought not. Reading far too much into random statements on blackboards causing your feelings of shame seems a bit self-indulgent/OTT. Whatever floats your boat.

:shrug:

If you think I WANT to feel sad about people feeling threatened then you are delusional. Whatever turns you on though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree totally and its not just agreeing the tetms of our EU exit but its then unpicking UK legislation to reflect the agreed exit deal. I would expect a raft of legal challenges against the new UK legislation in the coming years.

Not so. Covered by upcoming legislation which will make EU laws which we have signed up to become British law. We can then piecemeal repeal any we don't like, This has been covered -no worries there. Next?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You obviously don't know he difference between an invasion, e.g. to invade and occupy a country, and a tactical manoeuvre to reach an objective.
Operation Desert storm was the latter, hence the allies didn't goahead with regime change, and occupation of the whole of Iraq.
Operation Enduring Freedom, in 2003, was an invasion, with a view to regime change and to occupy the whole of Iraq.
But then I think you probably knew this, but you just find it hard to admit you're wrong,
I would not have said Operation Desert storm was a mistake, in my original post, as it was an excellent military campaign, that achieved its aims, with a minimum of allied casualties, and it liberated Kuwait, under a UN mandate.
Operation Enduring freedom,and especially what came after, are a whole new kettle of fish.

An invasion without occupation or annexation is still an invasion,whatever sort of weird twist you put on it.The fact that Bush wasn't brave enough to change the regime does not altre the fact that Iraq was invaded.
inv.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I expect the person wanting to be safe in the UK had just witnessed the vile abuse and violence at the University rugby match.uni.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If you think I WANT to feel sad about people feeling threatened then you are delusional. Whatever turns you on though.

Shame and sadness, two very different emotions. Feeling shame suggests you feel guilty for that person's supposed sense of insecurity.

The mysteries of the mind. :mad:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Not so. Covered by upcoming legislation which will make EU laws which we have signed up to become British law. We can then piecemeal repeal any we don't like, This has been covered -no worries there. Next?

That these reference institutions for appeals etc. which we will no longer recognise means that it isn't quite so straightforward. Setting up this infrastructure, although not impossible, will take time and require significant expenditure. Not sure that I have seen any actual plans for this yet.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You seem to have a lack of understanding on EU and UK law, as EU Directives have to ratified and incorporated into UK law, so it is not a question of just making EU law UK law, it is looking at where EU law has been enacted into UK law over the last 40 odd years.

So just looking at one example of the changes required.

Directive 2009/103/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 September 2009 relating to insurance against civil liability in respect of the use of motor vehicles, and the enforcement of the obligation to insure against such liability.

What are you going to do with this, given that it is embedded into the Road Traffic Act, 1988.

Which parts of the Directive are you going to keep in respect of UK legislation, which parts are you going to keep for vehicles (including trailers and caravans) that travel to the EU.

For any of the parts that you keep, what happens in the future when the EU amends their position.

In the future if you have an accident in Germany involving a crash with a French registered vehicle in which country can you bring your claim.

Then want do you do about EU Type Approval, and the list goes on and on.

This is just one Act of Parliament that needs to be reviewed, It currently has around 200 sections most of which will need to be reviewed.

How long do you think this will take to complete.

Then multiply this by all the other legislation that needs to be reviewed and you will now get some idea of the scale of the changes and the cost involved givent that the changes will need industry and government departments experts, lawyers, etc. Plus the debate within both houses.

And don't overlook that some Acts of Parliament are interwoven with others.

I admire your confidence that all this will run smoothly without any worries.

I don't believe that to be the case, and to get all the required changes in place may well take decades.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Shame and sadness, two very different emotions. Feeling shame suggests you feel guilty for that person's supposed sense of insecurity.

The mysteries of the mind. :mad:

You're trying much too hard to be clever. If someone feels shame when their country goes in a direction that brings undeserved hardship to people from other places it doesn't mean they feel responsible for the hardship - they might even have done their best to avoid it. They are simply sad at what is being done in their name - or ashamed if you prefer.

In this context shame is the mirror image of pride - I feel pride in my country when it does good things, just as I feel pride in the Albion when it does the same. I am in no way responsible for those things either.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
An invasion without occupation or annexation is still an invasion,whatever sort of weird twist you put on it.The fact that Bush wasn't brave enough to change the regime does not altre the fact that Iraq was invaded.
View attachment 82999

Whether you consider it to be an invasion or not, is completely irrelevant, the fact is, in my original post I was alluding to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, not the liberation of Kuwait.
To term Operation Desert Shield an invasion of Iraq is to misunderstand the whole political situation at the time.
The allies only had a mandate to liberate Kuwait, and not a mandate to invade Iraq. There was a tactical manoeuvre through Iraq territory, but it was never considered to be an invasion, as such. Had it been an invasion, the allies would have chased the defeated Iraq army all the way back to Baghdad.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
You seem to have a lack of understanding on EU and UK law, as EU Directives have to ratified and incorporated into UK law, so it is not a question of just making EU law UK law, it is looking at where EU law has been enacted into UK law over the last 40 odd years.

So just looking at one example of the changes required.

Directive 2009/103/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 September 2009 relating to insurance against civil liability in respect of the use of motor vehicles, and the enforcement of the obligation to insure against such liability.

What are you going to do with this, given that it is embedded into the Road Traffic Act, 1988.

Which parts of the Directive are you going to keep in respect of UK legislation, which parts are you going to keep for vehicles (including trailers and caravans) that travel to the EU.

For any of the parts that you keep, what happens in the future when the EU amends their position.

In the future if you have an accident in Germany involving a crash with a French registered vehicle in which country can you bring your claim.

Then want do you do about EU Type Approval, and the list goes on and on.

This is just one Act of Parliament that needs to be reviewed, It currently has around 200 sections most of which will need to be reviewed.

How long do you think this will take to complete.

Then multiply this by all the other legislation that needs to be reviewed and you will now get some idea of the scale of the changes and the cost involved givent that the changes will need industry and government departments experts, lawyers, etc. Plus the debate within both houses.

And don't overlook that some Acts of Parliament are interwoven with others.

I admire your confidence that all this will run smoothly without any worries.

I don't believe that to be the case, and to get all the required changes in place may well take decades.

It should be compulsory for all those who voted out to write this 1000 times on a black board if that's not a racist statement

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here