Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Away from Johnny foreigners milking the health service. A reality check after 34,000 posts...

View attachment 88319

We haven't left yet. :p

Project Fear update.

Immediate consequences of voting Leave.

Economic shock leading to big fall in GDP, half a million more unemployed, emergency budget, recession, house price crash, pestilence etc etc

Is there a Project Fear prediction still standing?

It saddens me so many people were scared into voting Remain on such appalling misinformation.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No no, you were absolutely ignorant of the NHS employees profile, you have been walking around with absolute rubbish bobbling about in your head.

You're still more likely to be nursed by a foreigner than be behind one in the queue.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not my conversation and forgive me for interrupting but I took Nicko31's point about currency values and share prices to be a general one - a plunging currency representing a vote of low confidence in a nation in the same way that a falling share price represents, all things being equal, the same thing in a company. The mechanics of the two measurements are different and external events can affect both of them but the underlying point, if that is what it was, seems reasonable to me..

I have no problem with you arguing that the sudden drop in Sterling was lack of market confidence and his point maybe a general one but to start thinking that share pricing and currency valuations are similar is specious nonsense. As I've already pointed out, share prices tend to rise if a company continues to do well. Currencies do not act like that, they tend to fluctuate between points. Currencies are often adjusted downwards from within as part and parcel of normal macroeconomic policies to achieve specific aims; boards of PLCs do not do the same with their share price. Share prices have a specific value at a point in time valued in the currency of the stock market they are listed on, currencies have multiple values depending on which country they are being compared against.

Capture.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Let's take Nicko31 and your assertion at face value. Low confidence represents a drop in currency and presumably the contra - high confidence = high currency values. That first graph, confidence was high until mid 2014 and it fell pretty much steadily until the beginning of 2017 and then it has started to picked up again. It begs two questions from me: What is the underlying cause for the drop in the value of Sterling because it's clear that Brexit is not the reason or certainly not the main reason (there's an argument that the graph gives some credence to that Sterling was still overvalued at Brexit) and the other question is why, if Brexit is becoming ever more uncertain in how it will finally look, is it that Sterling is picking up in value and not crashing through the floor?

And then the next graph. The FTSE All Share index is data from 600-odd UK floated PLCs and so a pretty good indication of the health of a significant part of the UK economy. If share price is affected by confidence what does that second graph tell you about market confidence for the last 5 years and where is confidence now?

Sorry but it's simply not true that a company's share price and a country's currency are analogous. They may share one or two common traits but they are most certainly very different. If you believe Nicko31's analogy then you're caught in another paradox anyway...namely that Sterling has risen in value and the FTSE has risen since the start of 2017 which would indicate increasing market confidence in the UK!

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
Everyone knows that the EU workers mostly come here to do jobs that no Brit wants to do, which is why Farages wife is German, and his girlfriend French.
Good old johnny foreigner he does the work that us Brits wont do, us Brits are a lazy useless bunch, which makes me wonder however did we cope before good old johnny arrived, it therefore sounds to me that something as successful as the British empire must have been a complete myth.
Last and for good measure lets chuck in another billion or so of tax payers money to foreign aid.. nothing quite beats helping johnny foreigner out at the expense of the British tax payer . .after all the country looks so much better when a Brit is seen begging for his daily meal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Even so it's only fair that Johnny foreigner comes along and steals all of our work, and it's only fair too that he has free access to our health service whilst us Brits are left on the shelf to rot. .

If Johnny foreigner is stealing all our work, you would expect there to be an unemployment problem. There isn't, so if you are on the shelf you either don't want a job, or are unemployable, I would guess.

You can claim rightfully that there has been an effect of suppressing wage growth in some areas, with high immigation, but not that there is no job available. If you are left on the shelf, maybe you need to work on your CV or interview technique? I can't imagine a bright spark like you is kept out of work by some unskilled worker from eastern Europe with English as a second language.
If someone is working here, and paying NI and Tax, why not let them use the services they are paying for? I know of British families that have 2 generations that have never worked, what would you say to the Pole who is paying their benefits in effect, when he gets sick?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good old johnny foreigner he does the work that us Brits wont do, us Brits are a lazy useless bunch, which makes me wonder however did we cope before good old johnny arrived, it therefore sounds to me that something as successful as the British empire must have been a complete myth.
Last and for good measure lets chuck in another billion or so of tax payers money to foreign aid.. nothing quite beats helping johnny foreigner out at the expense of the British tax payer . .after all the country looks so much better when a Brit is seen begging for his daily meal.

Oh dear.
I think you need to take a history lesson mate, I don't think you would mention Brits begging for a meal in the same paragraph as the "successful" British Empire if you had a clue of how many died of starvation in British rule India.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I could not leave this alone. You think the EU has a bloody cheek deciding things for us like working more than 48 hours a week is a health risk, or that it is outrageously undemocratic and foist laws on us, or that it takes money from us and gives little back, and yet think the British Empire was something to be proud of?
The British Empire was not built so much on the backs of hard working Brits, it was built on the enslavement and corpses of Johnny Foreigner.

I hope that this view is just ignorance on your part.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I could not leave this alone. You think the EU has a bloody cheek deciding things for us like working more than 48 hours a week is a health risk, or that it is outrageously undemocratic and foist laws on us, or that it takes money from us and gives little back, and yet think the British Empire was something to be proud of?
The British Empire was not built so much on the backs of hard working Brits, it was built on the enslavement and corpses of Johnny Foreigner.

In his defence, he is REALLY stupid.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Reminds me of this article in this Clown Shoes Shit Rag that thought that a morning's worth of "rallying against the Euro" back when Article 50 was triggered justified the headline "Pound to euro exchange rate: Sterling climbs after Brexit is triggered ...".

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/785191/pound-euro-exchange-rate

That turned out well didn't it? Oh and look! They're at it again.........

http://www.express.co.uk/finance/ci...e-sterling-forecast-economist-employment-news

Lol what sad twats, the pound "jumped" against the Euro three days ago, encouraging them to write an article forecasting a recovery "over the coming months" and now here we are 3 days later and it's tanked again.

Their knee jerk reaction to the slightest rise in the value of sterling would almost be funny if the situation wasn't so bollock-breakingly tragic.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

....... and anyone who has been watching any of the stuff about Indian independence and partition in 1947 would realise what a complete and utter b@lls-up we made of the whole thing even when we were leaving.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
....... and anyone who has been watching any of the stuff about Indian independence and partition in 1947 would realise what a complete and utter b@lls-up we made of the whole thing even when we were leaving.

Just think how badly off India and Pakistan would be if we hadn't been giving them aid the last 70 years.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009

I agree the empire wasn't something to be immensely proud of,..human enslavement a savagely suppressed work force and sheer brutality throughout ,in fact and in retrospect it shares so many parallel's with the EU,. a exaggeration you might say but given enough time and considering how the EU behave at times this could become a depressing reality.
I was merely pointing out that Britain was once successful in the sense that it was self ruling self reliant and didn't have a massive debt attached to it's name. plus johnny foreigner wasn't relied upon to do the work that us lazy Brits refuse to do. . if we coped independently back then there is no reason we cant cope independently now.:wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just think how badly off India and Pakistan would be if we hadn't been giving them aid the last 70 years.

Maybe, but our actions in the first place 70 years ago caused the savage deaths of countless innocent people.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Maybe, but our actions in the first place 70 years ago caused the savage deaths of countless innocent people.

And how many people have been saved from cholera,smallpox,typhoid,polio etc.The British Empire wasn't the three horsemen of the Apocalypse.Plus the much maligned justice and other democratic institutions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here