Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think it may take them a while to realise the power dynamic has changed. They no longer have a say in how we are governed.

It might take some a while to realise that we are a fraction of the EU's trade but they are an enormous part of ours. This means that they have the power in negotiations. No amount of spurious comparisons of us vs individual countries will hide the fact that we need trade with the EU far more than we need trade from them.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Interesting piano performance of Ode to Joy on Radio Three at the moment..

'We were aware of his choice,but didn't really care what anyone else thinks-artistic choice'.Keep digging Auntie,not far to go now.:shootself

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Haven't been on this thread for a while so apologies if fixtures. Interesting that the EU say we haven't gone far enough on the treatment of EU citizens in the U.K. Surely there is no negotiation necessary as we state how we will be treating EU residents here and if the EU are happy to match that then we move on. If the EU want to offer more to U.K citizens abroad then that's up to them. I'm not sure why we would have to agree to match the EU as isn't the whole point of leaving that we make our own rules not have to negotiate or agree to what the EU want?

You don't appear to understand how this works. If they are not happy with something then they lose less by walking away.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It might take some a while to realise that we are a fraction of the EU's trade but they are an enormous part of ours. This means that they have the power in negotiations. No amount of spurious comparisons of us vs individual countries will hide the fact that we need trade with the EU far more than we need trade from them.

Well,lets have a comparison between us and the EU then.I expect even you would find that weighting fair.We currently have a 96 billion euro deficit in trade with them,suggesting they might miss us a teen-weeny bit if they play hardball.Somebody needs to point that out to Barmier next week.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well,lets have a comparison between us and the EU then.I expect even you would find that weighting fair.We currently have a 96 billion euro deficit in trade with them,suggesting they might miss us a teen-weeny bit if they play hardball.Somebody needs to point that out to Barmier next week.

You are getting very hung up on that figure about the trade deficit. Now answer this. If trade stopped between EU and uk then who would be hurt the most.

A) the lot losing 40% of their export market
B) the lot losing 8% of their export market.

That is a simple question.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Maybe I should expand on the above.

The people losing 40% have no trade agreements with anyone else. The people with 8% have several and others in the pipeline.

Does anyone actually think they need us more than we need them?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Haven't been on this thread for a while so apologies if fixtures. Interesting that the EU say we haven't gone far enough on the treatment of EU citizens in the U.K. Surely there is no negotiation necessary as we state how we will be treating EU residents here and if the EU are happy to match that then we move on. If the EU want to offer more to U.K citizens abroad then that's up to them. I'm not sure why we would have to agree to match the EU as isn't the whole point of leaving that we make our own rules not have to negotiate or agree to what the EU want?

its fairly simple, despite all the rhetoric about not using citizens as bargining chip, thats exactly what the EU has done. they are trying to force a massive compromise, deliberatly crossing redlines, in an attempt to derail the process. alas i believe the whole thing will be abandoned in the end because of this sort of tactics, as they wont agree to anything reasonable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and no amount of spurious claims will make our trade with EU disappear either. however the point being made is that the consequence of negative impact to trade occurs to both sides. you may want to focus on the % of the total because that suits your argument, but if no sensible trade deal leads to say 10% reduction in car sales to UK, thats going to have a tangible impact on GDP of major countries in EU. (the reverse is true, but less % because of the net flow to EU)

D

Deleted member 22389

its fairly simple, despite all the rhetoric about not using citizens as bargining chip, thats exactly what the EU has done. they are trying to force a massive compromise, deliberatly crossing redlines, in an attempt to derail the process. alas i believe the whole thing will be abandoned in the end because of this sort of tactics, as they wont agree to anything reasonable.

Your right this is all done to stall, ruin us, so in the end we have no alternative but to Remain, and gets swung around by some parts of the media to make it look like we are the problem and not the other way around.

What I find most sad is that I can't believe some Remainers are happy for the EU to do this to us. We have said current EU citizens will retain all the rights they have now, so I really don't know what the EU want from us.

Last edited by a moderator:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Maybe I should expand on the above.

The people losing 40% have no trade agreements with anyone else. The people with 8% have several and others in the pipeline. Does anyone actually think they need us more than we need them?

I'm glad you said in the pipeline. How long is that pipeline of yours. I would think some of the UK deals will be completed before any of these

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All you are seeing is the EU putting their citizens first. You'd expect any organization, body, nation etc to do the same. As you point out they are also looking out for us Brits in the EU. Putting people first should be applauded.

The Poles are setting up their own judiciary system which does not fit into the ECJ's system of laws. The EU is slowly dying and we may appear callous in walking away from a dying corpse but we have to be the first to go and face the music whilst the others watch us with envy.

The union project is over folks.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your right this is all done to stall, ruin us, so in the end we have no alternative but to Remain, and gets swung around by some parts of the media to make it look like we are the problem and not the other way around.

What I find most sad is that I can't believe some Remainers are happy for the EU to do this to us. We have said current EU citizens will retain all the rights they have now, so I really don't know what the EU want from us.

Jesus wept. Is there no end to what you'll blame the EU for? Your negotiating team is woefully out of its depth, inept and inadequate and it's no ones fault but yours.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you think we have offered a poor deal?

Yes. A very poor deal. I think is wrong to strip people's rights like this, in some cases birth rights. Offer them what they currently have and put an end to their worry.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
'We were aware of his choice,but didn't really care what anyone else thinks-artistic choice'.Keep digging Auntie,not far to go now.:shootself

I'd really appreciate an explanation of what this means. The inverted comma at the beginning suggests that you might be quoting someone else, perhaps a person with sketchy knowledge of English and its word-spacing traditions. Whoever wrote it though, it doesn't make sense. Illumination please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here