Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Oh god, not this snowflake moaning bullshit again! The EU parliament is elected you utter fool. Here are the results from the last UK vote in case you missed it whilst you were crying in your safe space about something a German said that you didn't like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)

And what about the European Commission and the Council of the European Union ? When did I, or you, get a vote on these bodies that propose and make EU law ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And what about the European Commission and the Council of the European Union ? When did I, or you, get a vote on these bodies that propose and make EU law ?

And it is the Commission (rather than the Parliament) that prepares the budget and is responsible for spending. The Parliament can suggest changes but it is a far cry from our elected representatives in the U.K. deciding on and taking responsibility for Government spending. I know which system I think more accountable and democratic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
When was the last time you voted for someone in the House of Lords?

They are next on the list.

Its possible to disagree with the process of the Lords and The EU at the same time.Just because we currently put up with one does not mean we have to put up with the other.
The opportunity to change the way Lords are appointed will come eventually, i have every reason to believe the public will support reform in the same way the majority supported kicking the undemocratic EU into touch.
Some cucks may like to keep the existing set up in the same way they like to be subservient to the undemocratic process of The EU.....but this is a group think that is out of touch and past its sell by date.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
No, you haven't read me correctly. I actually find it tedious to attempt to have a dialogue with someone who does little else than quote back small elements, out of context, whilst launching into shouty jeers. You may call it 'robust debate', I call it 'very boring'. If you will excuse me I now have some interesting people to talk with. You have a nice evening.

Yes I have.

Throughout this thread we have exchanged opposing views, mostly cordially but sometimes robustly.

You must be in the top 3 contributors, you are never tired of the debate and getting your message across.........ergo baling out now speaks volume.

Au revoir.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
...using a bent voting system maintained by the two big parties so that they can divvy out control between themseles in perpetuity. Sounds perfect.

......using a voting system in a strong democracy that is envied in many places, where they have no such democracy. It is at least better than having lists of party apparatchiks queuing up for a place in Parliament on a PR system, with no direct link between MPs and their constituents.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I expect the remain crew have now got there Tony Blair posters out seeing as he is now the remain voice piece. I couldn't think of anybody worse to have on my side.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

When you voted at the general election, the resultant Prime minister was elected to the Council, the Council then elected the leader of the Commission. Currently though, you could argue that May is on the Council unelected.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I expect the remain crew have now got there Tony Blair posters out seeing as he is now the remain voice piece. I couldn't think of anybody worse to have on my side.

It's their, not there.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sigh. Just go back to your safe place snowflake.

I think you are confused, firstly I am always happy to confront views that oppose my own, that's a good thing. I am certainly not running off anywhere like some have done on this thread recently.

Secondly, it was you that soaked your mattress following a post I made about the democratic legitimacy of the EU. You have yet to follow up with your answer to my question about what law making powers the European Parliament has?

You could answer that question or you could continue to just stink of piss.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
When you voted at the general election, the resultant Prime minister was elected to the Council, the Council then elected the leader of the Commission. Currently though, you could argue that May is on the Council unelected.

This thread has dealt with the EU's democratic legitimacy before, it's an area that even ardent Euro federalists accept is a weakness. To argue there is not marks you out as some kind of zealot.

Any debate on the matter should be about what the pro EU supporters would do to resolve it. For example the Robert Schuman institute has its view (Robert Schuman was a founding father of the EEC and a sponsor of its progress to the EU).

http://www.robert-schuman.eu/en/eur...w-do-we-solve-the-european-democratic-problem

You're fighting out a battle that has been lost long ago, so dry those baby blues and share your vision on how you would make the EU more democratic, accountable and relevant to EU citizens.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes I have.

Throughout this thread we have exchanged opposing views, mostly cordially but sometimes robustly.

You must be in the top 3 contributors, you are never tired of the debate and getting your message across.........ergo baling out now speaks volume.

Au revoir.

I am not baling out, I am simply rationing the amount of time I spend talking to someone who gives every impression of Stanley Baldwin, standing on a soapbox, hands grasping both lapels of his suit, staring in one direction only.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
......using a voting system in a strong democracy that is envied in many places, where they have no such democracy.

You're right. It's greatly admired in South Sudan I'm sure.

At the heart of the British system is a procedure entirely arranged to give power to one of two big parties, which then run internal power struggles and very British coups, often behind closed doors, to decide how the country is actually run.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

At the heart of the British system is a procedure entirely arranged to give power to one of two big parties, which then run internal power struggles and very British coups, often behind closed doors, to decide how the country is actually run.

It's down to perception I guess. I have lived in different places around the world and have many times been told of the esteem with which British democracy is held. Our system is much imitated and has bought freedom with it. I suspect you would appreciate our system more if it were lost and a generation had to fight and die for it once again.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's down to perception I guess. I have lived in different places around the world and have many times been told of the esteem with which British democracy is held. Our system is much imitated and has bought freedom with it. I suspect you would appreciate our system more if it were lost and a generation had to fight and die for it once again.

Well said that man. We the people also had the chance to change the FPTP system .. but decided no to, by a large majority, in a referendum. Not so sure we would ever get a vote in how the electoral system in the EU works though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

South Sudan? Yes, thanks, I hadn't thought of that one, but yes I'm sure that all except the war lords there would grab it with both hands if they had the chance. I'll add it to a very long list of countries that envy us. In so many cases, their citizens are very keen to come here, is it not so?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here