Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
How dare the BBC suggest that freedom of movement is up for discussion! The result of the referendum demands control or it isn't what the majority voted for.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
How dare the BBC suggest that freedom of movement is up for discussion! The result of the referendum demands control or it isn't what the majority voted for.

Freedom of speech,they can moan about it when it's delivered..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The EU negotiators want to ask the UK for a special deal with the City in order to keep Eurozone stability. So much for them playing hard ball, it looks like both sides might just get a deal that's mutually beneficial. Another huge nail in the coffin of Project Fear.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-special-deal-over-access-to-city-post-brexit

More good news and I'm looking forward to the usual suspects spinning this one into a negative.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The EU negotiators want to ask the UK for a special deal with the City in order to keep Eurozone stability. So much for them playing hard ball, it looks like both sides might just get a deal that's mutually beneficial. Another huge nail in the coffin of Project Fear.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-special-deal-over-access-to-city-post-brexit

More good news and I'm looking forward to the usual suspects spinning this one into a negative.

It is an encouraging noise, but there is a long way to go yet.
What it sounds like though, is that for this to happen, we would need to adopt EU regulations for financial services, would that not be the opposite of what you guys wanted?
And of course, as we would no longer be members, we don't get to have a say in what the regulations are.
This is not really turning it into a negative for me, but have I spun it into a negative for you?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

This would run contrary to the forthcoming speech by Mrs May according to JC Footy Genius as we are not going to be subject to the ECJ. Therefore this will be undemocratic and dangerous and leavers won't accept as out is out.

Rather than looking for this being turned into a negative perhaps you should be asking if this is acceptable for leavers and why.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Encouraging news.:thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This would run contrary to the forthcoming speech by Mrs May according to JC Footy Genius as we are not going to be subject to the ECJ. Therefore this will be undemocratic and dangerous and leavers won't accept as out is out.

Rather than looking for this being turned into a negative perhaps you should be asking if this is acceptable for leavers and why.

These 'unpublished minutes' seen by The Guardian could just be shoddy journalism and totally unsubstantiated like those 'Whitehall' memos The Times published. In the article a 'source' disagrees with a statement given by a 'spokesman' who said the minutes seen by The Guardian were not accurate. It sounds just like those leaked memos seen by The Times that caused great consternation on here amongst the Brexit supporters. These pro-remain propaganda media outlets that dangerously refuse to accept the will of the democratic majority, such as The Guardian, can't be trusted with credible news remember.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What it sounds like though, is that for this to happen, we would need to adopt EU regulations for financial services, would that not be the opposite of what you guys wanted?
And of course, as we would no longer be members, we don't get to have a say in what the regulations are.
This is not really turning it into a negative for me, but have I spun it into a negative for you?

It appears to become (for me) a little headed towards the negative end of the scale,that said the words that draw my attention are "Eurozone Stability"....with the UK already threatening to leave the EU via Brexit,it would seem that we could have more of a say than was first suggested,or perhaps we could just leave them to collapse.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

And as if by magic, there they are, both posts pre-empting the deal with all sorts of assumptions based on what we have now and spinning against it vigorously. It's bizarre but I genuinely believe there are people out there who want these Brexit negotiations to fail (spoiler alert - they won't) just so they can have a pyrrhic victory in these debates.

The EU banks need access to the City, the City needs access to the EU banks regardless of whether we are in the single market or not (and my personal opinion is that it is becoming clear that we will not be in the single market) so a deal will be struck that is acceptable to both sides that respects both parties' sovereignty, financial institutions and laws. If there is one thing that is becoming increasingly clear from that article is that there are politicians outside the negotiations huffing, puffing and posturing whilst inside where the real work is being done, there appears to be sensible debate, realism and give and take on both sides.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:) I used to answer plenty but found when you had answered one, settled it, another was soon upon me, and so on. So i decided to answer less, put down my opinion, or paste articles that i agreed with. Those articles were trashed, i then got accused of not answering questions (as though they HAD to be answered) and so around it went.
At the end of the day the three main votes/referendums have gone against many on here, no matter how many questions i have answered :)

Ha! Lovely bit of re-writing your history there SM. Genuinely, hats off to that brazen slice of utter bullshit. Good effort.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you dont *need* to adopt EU regulations, especially if the point is to access markets that exist due to alternative regulation. one obstacle to banks simply uping sticks to Paris/Frankfurt is their regulators have neither the tools, experience or power to deal with modern finance. many businesses and countries come here for finance because its suited to doing business without having to adopt their domestic regulation. the point is they want to have improved access to the markets, so need to come to accomodation for their members to come to the market, not insist on rules to allow us to allow them in.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And as if by magic, there they are, both posts pre-empting the deal with all sorts of assumptions based on what we have now and spinning against it vigorously. It's bizarre but I genuinely believe there are people out there who want these Brexit negotiations to fail (spoiler alert - they won't) just so they can have a pyrrhic victory in these debates.

The EU banks access to the City, the City needs access to the EU banks regardless of whether we are in the single market or not (and my personal opinion is that it is becoming clear that we will not be in the single market) so a deal will be struck that is acceptable to both sides that respects both parties' sovereignty, financial institutions and laws. If there is one thing that is becoming increasingly clear from that article is that there are politicians outside the negotiations huffing, puffing and posturing whilst inside where the real work is being done, there appears to be sensible debate, realism and give and take on both sides.

Apart from adding a hyphen to preempt you have misused it. I am not assuming any more than the what is said in the article, I am not against this idea, vigorously or otherwise, but the article includes this "Flint suggested a new special relationship with the City could be achieved with a treaty guaranteeing “mutual recognition” of regulations."
Is loss of sovereignty over the regulations that govern the Financial sector, the UK's biggest single sector, something that is a problem for you, or is it just bendy bananas that are the problem?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
These pro-remain propaganda media outlets that dangerously refuse to accept the will of the democratic majority, such as The Guardian, can't be trusted with credible news remember.

As a Leaver and Middle/Right wing Conservative i beg to differ,slightly,and further i probably refer to The Mail even less than the Gaurdian....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
you dont *need* to adopt EU regulations, especially if the point is to access markets that exist due to alternative regulation. one obstacle to banks simply uping sticks to Paris/Frankfurt is their regulators have neither the tools, experience or power to deal with modern finance. many businesses and countries come here for finance because its suited to doing business without having to adopt their domestic regulation. the point is they want to have improved access to the markets, so need to come to accomodation for their members to come to the market, not insist on rules to allow us to allow them in.

We don't know if this deal is going to happen or not, but I can't see it getting past all the members if it gives the UK financial sector full access, without regulation or fee.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apart from adding a hyphen to preempt

Nah. I'll take my lead from the OED which spells it with a hyphen.

zxlnwx.jpg

As regards the rest of your reply, I refer you back to my previous post where I wrote that I think a deal will be struck that respects both parties' sovereignty. What that means in practice is far too early to say but let's call it a known unknown. That attempt at a parting shot with bendy bananas is risible. Do you want a sensible debate or don't you?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It appears to become (for me) a little headed towards the negative end of the scale,that said the words that draw my attention are "Eurozone Stability"....with the UK already threatening to leave the EU via Brexit,it would seem that we could have more of a say than was first suggested,or perhaps we could just leave them to collapse.....

We will always have a voice, just note a vote. It is a problem for the EU as much as it is for the UK, and an agreement is needed to be found, but it is in no way certain that one can be reached, and I am fairly sure it won't be reached without crossing at least one of the "red lines". Which according to some will mean that it is not real Brexit and is dangerous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here