Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...utline-of-eu-u-k-ties-post-brexit-paper-shows

Germany is working on proposals for the European Union’s future relations with the U.K. that include calls for a “comprehensive free-trade accord” with the British government, according to a draft paper prepared by the Foreign Ministry in Berlin.

With EU leaders due to discuss Brexit at a summit in Brussels on Thursday, the document lays out the most detailed German position yet for “future formal negotiations” about the U.K.’s relationship with Europe once it leaves the bloc in 2019, without opening the door to such talks yet.

The four-page document, dated Oct. 11, urges the EU avoid a piecemeal approach if and when talks with the U.K. get under way. It proposes instead a broad partnership that includes “at a minimum” the fields of foreign and security policy; fighting terrorism; cooperation on criminal justice; agriculture and fisheries; energy; transport, and especially air transport; research and digital issues.

“We share the U.K.’s desire to secure a close partnership with the Union after its exit that covers economic and trade relations”

All sounds eminently sensible.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We are Brexiting. Fact. I accept that as a Remain voter.

I fear for what the future country will look like. With a weak pound; little access to the single market and therefore not much of an attraction for significant investment; a burgeoning elderly demographic; rising prices in the shops and falling wages, it's not going to be pretty. In fact it's going to be awful.

However, too many people keep repeating the hyperbole that we should just be more confident in our country and stop doing it down. Unfortunately, they don't provide any hard data to prove that this is going to be the land of milk and honey that they predict.

Unfortunately, until people actually see the writing on the wall, until they can actually walk up and touch the wet paint of the letters, they won't believe it. When they can, they'll know, by which time, it will be too late.

Our only hope is to get rid of May and her ideologues and negotiate a soft Brexit. However, politics today is about saving the Tory party, not about running the country for the good of the majority.

Mmmmm ...

How do you know how much access we will have? All your fears appear to flow from suggesting you know the outcome of the negotiations, which is as silly as someone saying they know it will be guaranteed sunny uplands. Yet another Remain contributer to this thread who doesn't understand what a fact is.

Hyperbole ... oh the irony. How can anyone provide hard data about the future?

Irony overload.
Get rid and replace them with Corbyn/McDonnell for economic stability ?! :lolol::facepalm::wozza: Can you define what you mean by 'Soft' Brexit? Politics today is about delivering Brexit in the teeth of numerous elements and vested interests intent on undermining or blocking it. Both main parties are manouvering for their own self interests. Majority? https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...rties-do-you-trust-most-on-the-eu-and-brexit/

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mmmmm ...

How do you know how much access we will have? All your fears appear to flow from suggesting you know the outcome of the negotiations, which is as silly as someone saying they know it will be guaranteed sunny uplands. Yet another Remain contributer to this thread who doesn't understand what a fact is.

Hyperbole ... oh the irony. How can anyone provide hard data about the future?

Irony overload.
Get rid and replace them with Corbyn/McDonnell for economic stability ?! :lolol::facepalm::wozza: Can you define what you mean by 'Soft' Brexit? Politics today is about delivering Brexit in the teeth of numerous elements and vested interests intent on undermining or blocking it. Both main parties are manouvering for their own self interests. Majority? https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questio...rties-do-you-trust-most-on-the-eu-and-brexit/

Oh dear. I don't think you know what irony means. Nevermind.

It's true that I do not know how much access we will have. I can only draw my conclusions from the rhetoric of those leading the charge, and that doesn't look very promising does it?

As for your last comment, I'm not sure where you've been able to find any evidence that I am proposing that Corbyn would bring economic stability, but then again, why let evidence get in the way of your post? You often have not in the past.

As for majorities, consider this. Just 36% of the electorate voted Leave in the EU referendum with no plan on the table as to what Leave would look like, and now a minority government is at the negotiating table pursuing a hard Brexit approach on everyone's behalf.

Hey, at least we've got our country back.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...utline-of-eu-u-k-ties-post-brexit-paper-shows

Germany is working on proposals for the European Union’s future relations with the U.K. that include calls for a “comprehensive free-trade accord” with the British government, according to a draft paper prepared by the Foreign Ministry in Berlin.

With EU leaders due to discuss Brexit at a summit in Brussels on Thursday, the document lays out the most detailed German position yet for “future formal negotiations” about the U.K.’s relationship with Europe once it leaves the bloc in 2019, without opening the door to such talks yet.

The four-page document, dated Oct. 11, urges the EU avoid a piecemeal approach if and when talks with the U.K. get under way. It proposes instead a broad partnership that includes “at a minimum” the fields of foreign and security policy; fighting terrorism; cooperation on criminal justice; agriculture and fisheries; energy; transport, and especially air transport; research and digital issues.

“We share the U.K.’s desire to secure a close partnership with the Union after its exit that covers economic and trade relations”

All sounds eminently sensible.

Rather too sensible to be coming out of Europe.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Amazing performance from May today at PMQ's.. Never has any Prime Minister sounded so far out of their depth.. Still quoting Tory economics have saved the country despite almost every economic indicator showing the opposite.

Corbyn tore her to bits today.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Oh dear. I don't think you know what irony means. Nevermind.

It's true that I do not know how much access we will have. I can only draw my conclusions from the rhetoric of those leading the charge, and that doesn't look very promising does it?

As for your last comment, I'm not sure where you've been able to find any evidence that I am proposing that Corbyn would bring economic stability, but then again, why let evidence get in the way of your post? You often have not in the past.

As for majorities, consider this. Just 36% of the electorate voted Leave in the EU referendum with no plan on the table as to what Leave would look like, and now a minority government is at the negotiating table pursuing a hard Brexit approach on everyone's behalf.

Hey, at least we've got our country back.

I thought it Ironic that someone moaning about hyperbole indulges in it himself.

Not a fact or certainty after all then. So perhaps it might turn out OK? You can have a guess but basing it on the rhetoric during predictably difficult negotatiotions is a bit thin.

When you said replace May and her ideologues I thought you meant change of government as there is no way the Tory party membership would vote for a Remain 'Soft' Brexit leadership candidate. I thought you knew this. Feel free to link to a post you need more evidence for.

Consider this, the largest democratic vote for anything in the UK's entire history voted to leave the EU. Now can you define what you mean by Soft Brexit and now 'hard' Brexit as my suspicion is one means proritising everything Remainers want and the other means leaving the EU.

Not yet we haven't.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Amazing performance from May today at PMQ's.. Never has any Prime Minister sounded so far out of their depth.. Still quoting Tory economics have saved the country despite almost every economic indicator showing the opposite.

Corbyn tore her to bits today.

All started OK but after 6 mins things go to sh1t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC0vze7XVWQ

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I thought it Ironic that someone moaning about hyperbole indulges in it himself.

Not a fact or certainty after all then. So perhaps it might turn out OK? You can have a guess but basing it on the rhetoric during predictably difficult negotatiotions is a bit thin.

When you said replace May and her ideologues I thought you meant change of government as there is no way the Tory party membership would vote for a Remain 'Soft' Brexit leadership candidate. I thought you knew this. Feel free to link to a post you need more evidence for.

Consider this, the largest democratic vote for anything in the UK's entire history voted to leave the EU. Now can you define what you mean by Soft Brexit and now 'hard' Brexit as my suspicion is one means proritising everything Remainers want and the other means leaving the EU.

Not yet we haven't.

I really think that this is clutching at straws, akin to the bloke on Question Time a couple of weeks ago who said it was an "overwhelming majority", which it wasn't particularly.

The vote to Remain was pretty big as well, in other words. Maybe even the second biggest number of people who have ever voted for something in this country...... and yes, I know they lost, but trying to imply that the vast majority of people in this country are champing at the bit waiting to get out of the EU is a bit rich.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Rather too sensible to be coming out of Europe.

Don't think you've quite got the hang of this.The Germans aren't coming out of the EU,we are.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just seen the mad jock Ian Blackford on telly,complaining about Scotland and the North suffering from Breakfast.He's got about as much clue as the remainers on here :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Don't think you've quite got the hang of this.The Germans aren't coming out of the EU,we are.

No don't think you have got the hang of it, as I was referring to the article. We are coming out, end of, so unsure why there is a continuing argument about it.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

Maybe you were trying to be funny or ironic in your Two Professors hat - you have failed on both counts.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I really think that this is clutching at straws, akin to the bloke on Question Time a couple of weeks ago who said it was an "overwhelming majority", which it wasn't particularly.

The vote to Remain was pretty big as well, in other words. Maybe even the second biggest number of people who have ever voted for something in this country...... and yes, I know they lost, but trying to imply that the vast majority of people in this country are champing at the bit waiting to get out of the EU is a bit rich.

Any richer than the point I was replying to? (Nope) 'Just 36% of the electorate voted Leave in the EU referendum' Both statements are true but have a different emphasis.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Not yet we haven't.

Another error strewn post from you. No hyperbole in my posts, just observations of what is happening.

Will it turn out OK? Not on current evidence, given that 27 EU members are refusing to allow negotiations to more forward due to basic requirements and reassurances that they are seeking.

As for the Tory party membership being united behind one Brexit vision, you obviously must walk around with your eyes shut and your ears covered. I'd imagine you do, you voted leave after all, and so chose to ignore the compelling evidence that we should remain.

There is only so long you can go on ignoring both the economic facts and the ongoing forecasts for significant slowdown in growth. This is not some temporary resetting, it's a long-term reality.

Your suspicions are entirely unfounded. Brexit is going to happen. Our relationship with the EU has changed and we are not at their table, and most likely never will be whilst I am alive. However, we need to build a relationship with our closest - and one of the largest - economic blocs because it is in our interests to do so. That's economics 101.

As we want a trade deal, perhaps the attitude should be a little less arrogant. This deal is less important to the EU than it is to us. Yes they would like it I'm sure, but they are far better positioned to weather any storm, so the boot is very much on their foot.

So, let's march on towards Brexit, but with the honesty that we will be a poorer country - financially - because of it.

The naivety of ideological Brexiters like you astounds me.

D

Deleted member 22389

Another error strewn post from you. No hyperbole in my posts, just observations of what is happening.

Will it turn out OK? Not on current evidence, given that 27 EU members are refusing to allow negotiations to more forward due to basic requirements and reassurances that they are seeking.

As for the Tory party membership being united behind one Brexit vision, you obviously must walk around with your eyes shut and your ears covered. I'd imagine you do, you voted leave after all, and so chose to ignore the compelling evidence that we should remain.

There is only so long you can go on ignoring both the economic facts and the ongoing forecasts for significant slowdown in growth. This is not some temporary resetting, it's a long-term reality.

Your suspicions are entirely unfounded. Brexit is going to happen. Our relationship with the EU has changed and we are not at their table, and most likely never will be whilst I am alive. However, we need to build a relationship with our closest - and one of the largest - economic blocs because it is in our interests to do so. That's economics 101.

As we want a trade deal, perhaps the attitude should be a little less arrogant. This deal is less important to the EU than it is to us. Yes they would like it I'm sure, but they are far better positioned to weather any storm, so the boot is very much on their foot.

So, let's march on towards Brexit, but with the honesty that we will be a poorer country - financially - because of it.

The naivety of ideological Brexiters like you astounds me.

We really have no idea how the EU genuinely feel because we are all getting mixed messages. In the end I'm 100% positive everything will come together, like most things in life.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here