Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Equality isn't really really going to happen with Settled Status, the geographical proximity of Europe and issues surrounding enforcement though.

At least we agree we will be making the decisions fulfilling one part of the referendum mandate. EU citizens will lose their current privileged immigration status, therefore greater equality will be achieved.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was responding to a specific post comparing us to Mexico .Stop hiding behind 'all remainers' you are not representative of their view. Most remainers accept the democratic will of the majority. Where have I said all remainers are not patriotic or proud to be British?

We are one of the big boys.

You need to check your spelling, it should read 'We were one of the big boys'

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What a great read that is. Manufacturing up. Retail up. Heartwarming. It's there in black and white. Remoaners must be devastated.

I do tend to skim anything authored by Daniel Hannan MEP I'm afraid, I even heard him berating The NHS the other day.

The Cross Rail article in The NY Times was an interesting read though, certainly not devastating to me - it's always interesting reading foreign views on Brexit, I read a fair bit of The Irish press these days. This one last week from New Zealand was interesting too for example - https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-po...-cant-go-back-despite-boris-johnsons-promises

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
:lolol: this is what it boils down to. I see a club of three; US, China, EU. They will write the 21st century rules as US and UK wrote the 20th C.

Big boys as in the G7. I see the US and China battling it out for top spot in the 21st century. The EU is as likely to implode as it is to threaten their dominance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see British farmers are now getting worried apparently. They're concerned they will face the double-whammy of losing their subsidies and now face competition from super cheap food imports. Brexit-backing James Dyson and Britains biggest farmer said losing subsidy means “cattle farmers will just have to give up”.

Get over it James. Stop moaning. You've lost.....are the words to use I believe.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
More good news.....

Brexit will push up costs for banks by as much as 4 per cent and their capital requirements will rise up to 30 per cent, according to the most detailed assessment yet of what Britain’s departure from the EU means for the sector. The findings by consultants Oliver Wyman will make grim reading for its bank clients, many of which are struggling with low profitability. They come a day after HSBC became the first lender to put a price tag on Brexit, saying the immediate disruption would cost it $200m-$300m. Stuart Gulliver, chief executive of HSBC, said $1bn of revenue in its global banking and markets unit would be put “at risk” by Britain leaving the EU. But he said it planned to protect this revenue by moving up to 1,000 of its 6,000 UK investment banking jobs to France.

As ever, I'm sure Brexiteers will say this is for the best in the long run - Financial Services goes (horrible bankers), replaced by Manufacturing (some time in the far distant future, possibly). Ultimately, however, the taxes paid by FS underpin two thirds of our spending on the NHS. We'll all be poorer as a result.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see British farmers are now getting worried apparently. They're concerned they will face the double-whammy of losing their subsidies and now face competition from super cheap food imports. Brexit-backing James Dyson and Britains biggest farmer said losing subsidy means “cattle farmers will just have to give up”.

Get over it James. Stop moaning. You've lost.....are the words to use I believe.

Yeah a whining lemoaner, he has suddenly realised that he gets a big subsidy for the estate he owns.

I'd still buy a made in Europe Miele over an over an offshore manufactured Dyson any day of the week. They love him in Marlborough

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More good news.....

Brexit will push up costs for banks by as much as 4 per cent and their capital requirements will rise up to 30 per cent, according to the most detailed assessment yet of what Britain’s departure from the EU means for the sector. The findings by consultants Oliver Wyman will make grim reading for its bank clients, many of which are struggling with low profitability. They come a day after HSBC became the first lender to put a price tag on Brexit, saying the immediate disruption would cost it $200m-$300m. Stuart Gulliver, chief executive of HSBC, said $1bn of revenue in its global banking and markets unit would be put “at risk” by Britain leaving the EU. But he said it planned to protect this revenue by moving up to 1,000 of its 6,000 UK investment banking jobs to France.

As ever, I'm sure Brexiteers will say this is for the best in the long run - Financial Services goes (horrible bankers), replaced by Manufacturing (some time in the far distant future, possibly). Ultimately, however, the taxes paid by FS underpin two thirds of our spending on the NHS. We'll all be poorer as a result.

It will all be the fault of the remoaners when we'll all poorer, we all need to shut up and put our heads in the sand too. Just one problem, the tide is coming in fast

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What nonsense - I'm sure we've been told there won't be any need for Operation Stack as there won't be any traffic in either direction.

I don't recall hearing Charlie Elphicke ever saying that, but I have heard him mention Operation Stack as he has done by banging the drum for months on this issue in that we need to do an awful lot to be ready for Brexit and bring infrastructure projects forward quickly. He even authored a report himself last week - http://www.elphicke.com/downloads/ready-on-day-one--meeting-the-brexit-borders-challenge.pdf

Probably be okay though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What nonsense - I'm sure we've been told there won't be any need for Operation Stack as there won't be any traffic in either direction.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of traffic heading out of the U.K.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
At least we agree we will be making the decisions fulfilling one part of the referendum mandate. EU citizens will lose their current privileged immigration status, therefore greater equality will be achieved.

It could well end up just being FOM under another name though and registration for Settled Status basically being what Austria does currently with perhaps supposed application of the 3 month rule, that we don't enforce due to resources not being in place, de facto by another name. As I've said, the resources, administration, enforcement numbers and infrastructure aren't going to change, so the new system could be so nuanced to the current one, that really nobody would actually notice the difference. I personally find it unlikely that FOM will end in 2019 due to: A. The need of a transitional deal for several years with The EU and accepting FOM as part of it. B. Settled Status will not be up and running in 2019 and current EU nationals residing here will need to processed on top of new arrivals which will take years.

The proposals are very much in their infancy though and this a fluid situation and may quite possibly never be implemented, but the Settled Status idea at this stage just appears to be a fast track, slimmed down, preferential system for EU nationals, against the current work permit and rigorous residency system for non-EU nationals. I wouldn't call it equal, it's really doing what we could have been doing ourselves for years, but that horse bolted a long time ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here