Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Oh well, give you more money for the increasingly inflated food and fuel.

So are you blaming the poor weather in Spain which has been well documented down to Brexit. This is hitting most fresh food prices due to shortages which again have been well documented.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So to summarise...

1. You feel that many people were 'deluded and sucked in' by believing those who said that the economy would suffer an immediate hit.

2. You were cleverer than that, and believed that it would not suffer in the short term.

3. Your considered reason for coming to this view and disagreeing with most economists was that, er, you knew what you wanted.

That's no explanation but I suppose we can't expect much better.

Maybe you could expect better if you could get it into your brain that i voted out because i think that the UK will be better off without the corrupt money pit aka the EU and other reasons put forward by the leave campaigns, sorry if this and my answers do not satisfy you.
If you have to keep banging on expecting me to alter my opinion, the way i voted and why i voted, then you carry on. Maybe just accept that the majority wanted /voted out and try as you might to talk down this country and our economic situation at the moment (which happens to be in a lot better shape than you and the other doomomngers predicted and swallowed) the country is still breathing.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Maybe you could expect better if you could get it into your brain that i voted out because i think that the UK will be better off without the corrupt money pit aka the EU and other reasons put forward by the leave campaigns, sorry if this and my answers do not satisfy you.
If you have to keep banging on expecting me to alter my opinion, the way i voted and why i voted, then you carry on. Maybe just accept that the majority wanted /voted out and try as you might to talk down this country and our economic situation at the moment (which happens to be in a lot better shape than you and the other doomomngers predicted and swallowed) the country is still breathing.

And been growing to boot when LI and others stated we would now be in recession

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
2% inflation is the Bank of England target. They set policy in order to try to get to 2%

Interesting view. Most governments would set an inflation target of 2% if they already had inflation of 4% as, inflation is a BAD THING. bear in mind we had inflation at only 0.3% only 9 months ago. I think you need to realise that the bank of England 2% inflation " Target" is in fact aspirational.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you think that Canada might be worried that the EU might collapse, maybe others will be wanting a deal with the little old UK.

Maybe to sell to us, but, what do we have left to sell ? we hardly manufacture anything anymore, most of our economy is service industry/ financial services based. Our infrastructure was sold off years ago to fund tax cuts. The cupboard is bare, especially now Rolls Royce have been slapped down for bribery and can't "compete" with other multinationals. There is no magic bullet, there is no magic trade deal in the offing as we have nothing to sell.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Maybe to sell to us, but, what do we have left to sell ? we hardly manufacture anything anymore, most of our economy is service industry/ financial services based. Our infrastructure was sold off years ago to fund tax cuts. The cupboard is bare, especially now Rolls Royce have been slapped down for bribery and can't "compete" with other multinationals. There is no magic bullet, there is no magic trade deal in the offing as we have nothing to sell.

I'm sure its not as bad as you would like it to be. Maybe having some belief in UK PLC would be plus instead of your constant put downs

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Interesting view. Most governments would set an inflation target of 2% if they already had inflation of 4% as, inflation is a BAD THING. bear in mind we had inflation at only 0.3% only 9 months ago. I think you need to realise that the bank of England 2% inflation " Target" is in fact aspirational.

Not necessarily. Central banks are as wary of deflation as they are of inflation. The former is a particular risk at and around zero inflation rates. A target of lower inflation is more likely in times of high inflation. Take a look at the economic history of Japan over the last couple of decades and you will see the risks of deflationary pressures. The optimum inflation rate is not necessary zero anymore than the optimum exchange rate is 'as high as possible.' Economists try to predict the optimum and politicians and pundits misuse their analysis for their own ends.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Brexit thread has sprung back into life after a brief lull. We're just over 1500 views away from the big one million.

Never in the field of straw clutching and insults was so much viewed by so many.

Indeed, I just dropped back in to the thread after a long time away and have found the same points being made basis the same misuse of economics...think I will head out again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm sure its not as bad as you would like it to be. Maybe having some belief in UK PLC would be plus instead of your constant put downs

Hilarious ! It's as bad as it is because it's as bad as it is not because I mentioned it ! I'll just be more positive then and the manufacturing industry will perk up straight away... tell you what, I'll try and lay some golden eggs too while I'm at it. :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not necessarily. Central banks are as wary of deflation as they are of inflation. The former is a particular risk at and around zero inflation rates. A target of lower inflation is more likely in times of high inflation. Take a look at the economic history of Japan over the last couple of decades and you will see the risks of deflationary pressures. The optimum inflation rate is not necessary zero anymore than the optimum exchange rate is 'as high as possible.' Economists try to predict the optimum and politicians and pundits misuse their analysis for their own ends.

I think you will find that low inflation is always preferable than high, if we bumped along at 1% that would be more than enough given the slide in earnings over the last 10 years.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

You completely miss the point! I KNOW you want to leave the EU and I know the reasons you give but that was not what I was asking.

I'll have another go.

You criticised people who accepted the predictions of a short term economic hit as delusional and said that, before the referendum, you were of the opinion that there would not be a short term economic hit. I simply asked what the basis of your pre-referendum prediction was. It was a simple question but to put it another way: why were you able to make a prediction about the short term effect on the economy that most other people, leavers and remainers alike, were unable to?

Your reply - along the lines of "I know what I wanted and I wanted to leave" - is no reply at all. I am not querying or even arguing with your determination to Leave. You've told us what party you support and what you think about the EU and many other things. I am not alluding to any of that. I am asking you a very straightforward question on a specific point that had been raised by... you.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hilarious ! It's as bad as it is because it's as bad as it is not because I mentioned it ! I'll just be more positive then and the manufacturing industry will perk up straight away... tell you what, I'll try and lay some golden eggs too while I'm at it. :facepalm:

That's the spirit, nice to see the doomongers have not got to you, they are waiting with bated breath for things to go belly up, been waiting since June poor lambs.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You completely miss the point! I KNOW you want to leave the EU and I know the reasons you give but that was not what I was asking.

I'll have another go.

You criticised people who accepted the predictions of a short term economic hit as delusional and said that, before the referendum, you were of the opinion that there would not be a short term economic hit. I simply asked what the basis of your pre-referendum prediction was. It was a simple question but to put it another way: why were you able to make a prediction about the short term effect on the economy that most other people, leavers and remainers alike, were unable to?

Your reply - along the lines of "I know what I wanted and I wanted to leave" - is no reply at all. I am not querying or even arguing with your determination to Leave. You've told us what party you support and what you think about the EU and many other things. I am not alluding to any of that. I am asking you a very straightforward question on a specific point that had been raised by... you.

I'll tell you what, you put down what you would like me to answer..... put it on this post and then post it. I shall give it the thumbs up and agree.
Here you go i am Psychic

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Do you think that Canada might be worried that the EU might collapse, maybe others will be wanting a deal with the little old UK.

More of the same from you I'm afraid.

I passed on the report that having signed a deal with the EU the Canadians are now likely to sign a deal with post-exit UK. According to the Canadians it won't be as good a deal for Britain as the EU one, but it will nevertheless, be a deal.

Your reaction to that is to ask if the Canadians might be worried that the EU would collapse. I don't understand. Your comment may or may not be complete dipstickery but what on earth has it got to do with the post you were responding to?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
More of the same from you I'm afraid.

I passed on the report that having signed a deal with the EU the Canadians are now likely to sign a deal with post-exit UK. According to the Canadians it won't be as good a deal for Britain as the EU one, but it will nevertheless, be a deal.

Your reaction to that is to ask if the Canadians might be worried that the EU would collapse. I don't understand. Your comment may or may not be complete dipstickery but what on earth has it got to do with the post you were responding to?

Jeez, you quoted "
Not quite as beneficial obviously because, as a Canadian source pointed out, the size of the UK economy compared to that of the EU means that the potential benefits to Canada are much less and that will affect what they will be able to offer London."

I merely stated that i think Canada are wanting to deal with us (as might others) quickly, because they MIGHT feel that the EU is not that steady. My opinion if that is ok with you.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'll tell you what, you put down what you would like me to answer..... put it on this post and then post it. I shall give it the thumbs up and agree.

How about: "You know, that old Herr Tubthumper might have a point. I am a bit prone to accusing people of being things like delusional suckers and then refusing to answer a simple question about it."

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
How about: "You know, that old Herr Tubthumper might have a point. I am a bit prone to accusing people of being things like delusional suckers and then refusing to answer a simple question about it."

I have answered it, not to your liking, tell me what you want me to write......i'll do it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's the spirit, nice to see the doomongers have not got to you, they are waiting with bated breath for things to go belly up, been waiting since June poor lambs.

Excellent, Straight out of the Boris Johnson school of fluster and bluster and piff paff. It will be a "Titanic " future !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here