Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Good moaning all.

This is about the 137th time you've made this joke and it wasn't that funny the 2nd time. My point though is that I still don't understand why, when IDS and Bill Cash and all the lot of them, later joined by Farage and Banks, spent 25 years fighting and campaigning and spitting against the EU even when elections and public opinion went against them, announcing before the referendum that they would carry on the struggle if the result went the other way, this is seen as courageous, determined and plucky but when those of the opposite view even hint, while the process is still underway, that they too will struggle on, it is decried as moaning, whining and whingeing.

I asked this question before and the reply I got (from 2Prof I think) was that the Brexiters were actually being very restrained and if they said what they really thought about the people arguing against them then the mods - who are probably in league or something with the moaners - would ban them all. In the meantime, he and others claim that they are being called thickos, racists and all the rest by Remain supporters, a charge that is simply untrue.

It really does look like an attempt to shut down debate. A bit too North Korean for me I'm afraid.

I suppose as a blood-soaked moron I should really bow out.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If you want to make the argument that we should come down on dodgy deals, I am with you, but the main reason Banks want to remain in London is the lack of regulation compared to the EU Eurozone regulations.
If we were EU members and adopted their regulations, there would be little reason for anyone to leave London. If we are not EU members, and some activities are cut off to London based banks, we really can't afford to get tough with the banks.

Really? Are the Italian banks not subject to the same rules then?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This is about the 137th time you've made this joke and it wasn't that funny the 2nd time. My point though is that I still don't understand why, when IDS and Bill Cash and all the lot of them, later joined by Farage and Banks, spent 25 years fighting and campaigning and spitting against the EU even when elections and public opinion went against them, announcing before the referendum that they would carry on the struggle if the result went the other way, this is seen as courageous, determined and plucky but when those of the opposite view even hint, while the process is still underway, that they too will struggle on, it is decried as moaning, whining and whingeing.

I asked this question before and the reply I got (from 2Prof I think) was that the Brexiters were actually being very restrained and if they said what they really thought about the people arguing against them then the mods - who are probably in league or something with the moaners - would ban them all. In the meantime, he and others claim that they are being called thickos, racists and all the rest by Remain supporters, a charge that is simply untrue.

It really does look like an attempt to shut down debate. A bit too North Korean for me I'm afraid.

Wow, good moaning to you. By the way, as you tend to exaggerate (137 times) maybe you could stop coming out with the same lines over and over, you do like a moan don't you.
Cheer up, the UK has not collapsed, I think you would be happy if it does......now that WILL give you something to moan about.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think you have misread the question, he asked what you would have done, not what you wouldn't.

He asked a pointless question which no person could reasonably answer as a distraction to the obvious glaring inconsistency in his faux outrage at our dealings with Turkey.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We were led to believe that Brexit was going to be this new golden and glittering era of being in the boss-seat and picking and choosing what and who to do business with. Are Trump and that human rights horror from Turkey really the first choices and the pick of the pile?

Of course the EU will want to engage with Trump, since when do you think the EU has become the moral overlord of world trade and politics.

You suspect that the EU might punish the UK irrespective of it effecting their own peoples, you now think they will somehow flick the finger at the USA, the worlds superpower and suddenly turn their back on Turkey that the EU has used as some quasi holding station to prevent migrants coming to the EU.

Trump may want to build a wall, but razor wire was the barrier of choice along 110 miles of the EU eastern flanks to deter migrants and refugees from entering the EU whilst a 'financial barrier' is to bribe Turkey to deal with the refugee crisis again rather than letting them enter the EU, so if you are to look for moral superiority then the EU isnt the place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The "Expert" Governor of the Bank of England and his staff knew what they were doing. That is why we came out of it relatively unscathed. I don't expect it to last.

Are you not able to realise that Mark Carney et al at the Bank of England are those in a position to take measures to influence how our economy performs. They knew what the likely impact of BREXIT would be, would have known WELL IN ADVANCE what they might need to do if the BREXIT vote happened, and did it.

Let's see where we are in six month's time. Until then, I am out of here.

I'm with you on this. Let's also not forget the economy he has to work with is imbalanced, fragile and based primarily on consumer spending and services. His astute and calm handling and understanding of the post-Brexit finances has thankfully enabled the U.K. to keep its head above the water and create a temporary environment for business to continue. He can't keep on printing money though.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm with you on this. Let's also not forget the economy he has to work with is imbalanced, fragile and based primarily on consumer spending and services. His astute and calm handling and understanding of the post-Brexit finances has thankfully enabled the U.K. to keep its head above the water and create a temporary environment for business to continue. He can't keep on printing money though.

Not really Carney was completely wrong with his biased outlook and then had to backtrack to save face
I think you'll find the haven't stopped printing money since the banking crisis . Maybe you need to start worrying about Merkel as her empire slowly begins to crumble

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I'm guessing you have now guaranteed a 'Good moaning all' post will be a fixture on this thread for the foreseeable future.

a6964f1063695ae573dfb12eb3d837c27408be260324664940261fe53205004d.jpg

:D

If the Brexiteer side had lost but still kept a thread going to well over 26,000 replies, 7 months after the vote, wallowing in 100% negativity I expect they would be viewed as moaning, whining and whingeing.

Btw have you considered changing your username? :down:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm guessing you have now guaranteed a 'Good moaning all' post will be a fixture on this thread for the foreseeable future.

If the Brexiteer side had lost but still kept a thread going to well over 26,000 replies, 7 months after the vote, wallowing in 100% negativity I expect they would be viewed as moaning, whining and whingeing.

Btw have you considered changing your username? :down:

It wouldn't have happened because it would've been business as usual as far as the gravy train passengers are concerned. We wouldn't even be discussing it.
Good point about his username.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

It takes two to tangle but I'm not sure you can say that one side of the argument 'kept the thread going' when most posts come from the other. As for any negativity, in one sense that is unavoidable given the discussion is between people who think the New Britain will be great and those who think it won't be. This started within days of the referendum when Brexit voters said that the rising stock market was evidence that all was well and Remain voters countered that it wasn't. If Remain had won and the markets had risen the Remainers would have said it was evidence of good times ahead and Brexiters would have said it wasn't.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Good point about his username.

My username is fair game this week but I've no plans to change it. Like most supporters of a (traditionally) lower league football club I have a strong sense of place and I have always been proud of my roots in Brighton, Lincolnshire and England.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course the EU will want to engage with Trump, since when do you think the EU has become the moral overlord of world trade and politics.

You suspect that the EU might punish the UK irrespective of it effecting their own peoples, you now think they will somehow flick the finger at the USA, the worlds superpower and suddenly turn their back on Turkey that the EU has used as some quasi holding station to prevent migrants coming to the EU.

Trump may want to build a wall, but razor wire was the barrier of choice along 110 miles of the EU eastern flanks to deter migrants and refugees from entering the EU whilst a 'financial barrier' is to bribe Turkey to deal with the refugee crisis again rather than letting them enter the EU, so if you are to look for moral superiority then the EU isnt the place.

None of this has any direct relevance to what I posted and what you quoted?

I'm confused.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Wow, good moaning to you. By the way, as you tend to exaggerate (137 times) maybe you could stop coming out with the same lines over and over, you do like a moan don't you.
Cheer up, the UK has not collapsed, I think you would be happy if it does......now that WILL give you something to moan about.

Thank you for avoiding the point I made.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You tell me what has Mark Carney done that is absolutely unique to perhaps what he has done prior to the Brexit vote, his position is to implement anything that he and others within his team deems appropriate at any particular time ??[B][/B]

So now you want the BoE governor to somehow take the credit for the UK's leading actual growth economy in the G10, just how bad must the other national bank leaders be within the other EU member states that are currently failing and failing badly, why aren't they able to replicate Carney ??

The fundamentals are there if you cared to look, I cannot possibly know what the future has to hold, but my god there is absolutely nothing to suggest the EU is the preferred template, its a basket case and no matter how much you try to discredit the current favourable UK data and push your already flawed predictions even further upstream it no longer offers any credibility, you're done, you are just hoping for failure, utterly depressing and utterly predictable.

What I have put in bold above is exactly what I am trying to say. He/They are just doing their job, but doing it very well, and they will have pre-planned what they might have to do given any particular set of economic circumstances.

I am not wanting the BoE Governor to take the credit for our (long-term) growth, which will not have been caused by the BREXIT vote, if that is what you are trying to say, I am actually just crediting him/them with maintaining a decent position in the short-term.

I am not trying to say the EU is the preferred template in terms of financial whatever. If it is in trouble at the moment, some/most of that will be down to the BREXIT vote. I remain a remainer, recognising that the EU is far from perfect, but on the basis that I would have preferred to stay there and be part of sorting it out. Far from not being patriotic, as some people would hold that to be, I would hold that, if we had really wanted to, WE COULD BE LEADING THE REST OF EUROPE BY THE NOSE!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What I have put in bold above is exactly what I am trying to say. He/They are just doing their job, but doing it very well, and they will have pre-planned what they might have to do given any particular set of economic circumstances.

I am not wanting the BoE Governor to take the credit for our (long-term) growth, which will not have been caused by the BREXIT vote, if that is what you are trying to say, I am actually just crediting him/them with maintaining a decent position in the short-term.

I am not trying to say the EU is the preferred template in terms of financial whatever. If it is in trouble at the moment, some/most of that will be down to the BREXIT vote. I remain a remainer, recognising that the EU is far from perfect, but on the basis that I would have preferred to stay there and be part of sorting it out. Far from not being patriotic, as some people would hold that to be, I would hold that, if we had really wanted to, WE COULD BE LEADING THE REST OF EUROPE BY THE NOSE!
All fine - except for perpetuating the myth that the EU was willing and available to accept reform. It wasn't, it isn't, and never would be, IMHO.
And it would be even less likely to co-operate with suggestions for change emanating from the UK! If it ever had been open for reform, and had listened instead of ploughing on regardless and relentlessly with its very own agenda, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion now!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

we tried that, encouraging acceptance of more countries from East Europe. then last year we asked for some modest rule changes, got back some watered down "promises", which were then knocked down further as unlikely to be accepted in future treaties. fact is EU is led by those that want to see a united Europe, not settle for a trading block, so its time to leave the political union and work out a trading relationship instead.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
None of this has any direct relevance to what I posted and what you quoted?

I'm confused.

We have democratically voted to Leave, against the odds, thats a fact.

You want to somehow negate the obvious advantage of hopefully liasing with the worlds most powerful democratically elected politician and economy, and cite an immigration policy that actually if you cared to look is even less clumsey than razor wire and paying off a neighbour to halt any movement of peoples irrespective of religion or need.

For you, any engagement outside of the EU region is worthless and pointless, you cannot find any grain of advantage outside of your preferred EU region, I cannot think of you once stating the advantage of any singular member state outside of Germany anyway, not once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here