Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There is no problem and I'm surprised that you think there is. It's quite obvious that the EU are against us agreeing any sort of deal through their (non) negotiating approach so we just need to get on with it. The only regret is that our misguided belief that we could somehow agree a deal with a brick wall would succeed. We lost a good few months there.

That is pure comic genius that post. 10/10. The old Iraqi Information Minister in 2003 couldn't have done better than that. :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not according to the remoaners, we didn't!
Yes, very many times the refrain had been 'they didn't know what they were voting for, therefore we should hold a second referendum' . Which of course is EU speak for 'let's keep voting until we get the result we want'.

*See France, Ireland, Denmark etc.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
That is pure comic genius that post. 10/10. The old Iraqi Information Minister in 2003 couldn't have done better than that. :lolol:

There's nothing remotely funny about this, but it's the inevitable direction we're traveling. We voted to leave but I blame the EU for this situation. Seeing them in this light makes me even more determined to get out of their clutches. They've chosen a path whereby everyone suffers and for no other reason than to shore-up their own corrupt organisation. Shame on them.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not according to the remoaners, we didn't!

A friend of mine voted leave and expected the Norway option. He certainly knew what he was voting for and I can clearly remember him telling me in the pub before the Wales game in The Euro's last year. Another friend of mine, who it's best not to speak to Brexit about anymore as when I asked him about Northern Ireland he told me 'Do you really think I give a **** about Northern Ireland?', voted leave because 'we couldn't carry on as we were'. Strange that 2 leave voting friends of mine had such differing views on what they were voting for. I accept they're an isolated exception of course.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Of couse, in the case of Ireland, nobody knew what they were voting for, as is being nicely demonstrated here.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There's nothing remotely funny about this, but it's the inevitable direction we're traveling. We voted to leave but I blame the EU for this situation. Seeing them in this light makes me even more determined to get out of their clutches. They've chosen a path whereby everyone suffers and for no other reason than to shore-up their own corrupt organisation. Shame on them.

Yanis Varoufakis said this would happen. The ECJ red line stance really worked well for Mrs May. Never mind.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yanis Varoufakis said this would happen. The ECJ red line stance really worked well for Mrs May. Never mind.

Varoufakis badly let down the Greek people by not pushing to pull out of the Euro and going back to the drachma. They are now suffering massively with a vastly overvalued currency that only favours the Germans. It's worse than during the war.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of couse, in the case of Ireland, nobody knew what they were voting for, as is being nicely demonstrated here.

i think its fair to say no one outside NI really gave it much thought. the problem is that the EU are insisting we cant discuss trade at this stage, but we must agree arrangements with Irish border, which must cover how to handle trade. you cant get around that unless you effectively agree an open ended outcome. that is what UK have proposed: we'll have a open border with Ireland, details on how this will work to be discussed later as required by EU schedule. for some reason that escapes me, this isn't acceptable. maybe they dont want Irish citizens to have greater freedoms than other EU members?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Varoufakis badly let down the Greek people by not pushing to pull out of the Euro and going back to the drachma. They are now suffering massively with a vastly overvalued currency that only favours the Germans. It's worse than during the war.

Crashing out the Euro and The EU without a deal and everything that entailed would have been far worse. Still, no deal is better than a bad deal for us, so we'll be fine.

How long do you think the case at The International Court of Justice will be when no deal happens?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Crashing out the Euro and The EU without a deal and everything that entailed would have been far worse. Still, no deal is better than a bad deal for us, so we'll be fine.

How long do you think the case at The International Court of Justice will be when no deal happens?

Nothing could be worse for most Greeks than what they have today. What case at the ICJ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why? All we need to do is start preparing seriously for no deal. This entire process has been mismanaged by us as we should have started with that assumption as soon as we saw what the EU were asking for. Even if we had agreed on the divorce bill and the continuing role of the ECJ in deciding on EU nationals in the UK this had to be a deal breaker.

Do what you want. My future is now in the hands of the EU.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes, very many times the refrain had been 'they didn't know what they were voting for, therefore we should hold a second referendum' . Which of course is EU speak for 'let's keep voting until we get the result we want'.

*See France, Ireland, Denmark etc.

I'll Google later but I'm fairly familiar with the Danish referendums. What exactly is your objection to them? The Danish voted against being included in a developing policy of the EU and as a result were granted the exemptions they wanted. They confirmed their acceptance of these concessions in the second referendum. What, again, is your objection?

(I can't remember much about the Irish one but I believe it centred on what they saw as an assault on their neutrality. As I recall, they were similarly granted a special opt out.)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Nothing could be worse for most Greeks than what they have today. What case at the ICJ?

I beg to differ on the chaos Greeks would have faced had they jettisoned out of The EU and The Eurozone and all it's various institutions. It's why Varoufakis pulled back from the cliff edge, it'd have been far worse than now and the consequences far worse than what happened in Argentina at the turn of the century.

The case at The ICJ? It'll be the big one post a no deal Brexit - The UK vs the EU - as international lawyers argue for years over whether Boris Johnson was right to suggest the EU can go whistle etc.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Probably something to do with that god-awful Miller woman again? Not that she was ever trying to stop Brexit or anything...................

This will be that God awful ‘Miller woman’ who tried to protect the sovereignty of parliament? How odd you should find that distasteful when so many arguments claimed that sovereignty was what the referendum was about.

The EU never tried to change our sovereignty, but May tried in order to push through an unopposed Brexit bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why on earth do we continue to put up with having this incompetent negotiating team, packed with and led by Remoaners, being bullied by the EU.

Isn't it about time that the dream team of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove, who so successfully led the Brexit campaign, stepped up and led us to the promised land ???

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This will be that God awful ‘Miller woman’ who tried to protect the sovereignty of parliament? How odd you should find that distasteful when so many arguments claimed that sovereignty was what the referendum was about.

That same god-awful woman who despised the opinion of 17 million of her fellow citizens, and had enough money to throw her weight about, costing the taxpayer a lot of money in the process. Yes, that's the one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here