Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Perhaps one should still well clear of the lower orders in case one catches something nasty. 1901 club member?

Down in the lower order I'm afraid, though must admit give me a piglets pie over anything they serve up in Westerspoins

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm confused. The argument that FOM has suppressed wages is one the remainers have always said wasn't true. They have also suggested that by leaving the laws to protect pay levels would be dismantled by the Tories to the benefit of big business. Now you, as a remainer, are suggesting wages will need to go up, somewhat backing up the leavers argument of wage suppression !

I'm suggesting that Tim Martin, who was a big advocate of Brexit like others such as farmers, is now facing a potential staff shortage, as some farmers currently are, that he didn't envisage or want and is now potentially having to raise wages to attract staff, which among other things, is perhaps what's behind his more cautious outlook for the future in his remarks on Wetherspoon's results today, as well as his anti-EU rant. I increasingly get the impression from Mr Martin that he wasn't wanting to do this when he voted 'leave' in June of last year.

He has no issue at all with FOM or immigration and suggested we merely put restrictions on new EU countries joining the bloc after we've left, which we would have done anyway had we remained. I've seen him state many a time in Wetherspoon's News his desire that FOM basically carries on. He even went as far as to suggest, by way of an explanation, that after we've left it's simply no different to after Ireland became independent in the 1920's - people can still come and work here exactly as before. Despite all leave voters knowing exactly what they were voting for, I'm suggesting that what he campaigned for in his pubs, voted for and wanted and what actually happens might well be mutually exclusive. We'll see.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm confused. The argument that FOM has suppressed wages is one the remainers have always said wasn't true. They have also suggested that by leaving the laws to protect pay levels would be dismantled by the Tories to the benefit of big business. Now you, as a remainer, are suggesting wages will need to go up, somewhat backing up the leavers argument of wage suppression !

Good old supply and demand, reduce the availability of cheap EU labour = increasing pressure on wages especially at the bottom end. Not that the pro EU I'm all right jack give a monkies about the less fortunate.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Good old supply and demand, reduce the availability of cheap EU labour = increasing pressure on wages especially at the bottom end. Not that the pro EU I'm all right jack give a monkies about the less fortunate.

Does the anti-EU I'm alright Jack Mr Martin give a monkies about the less fortunate at the bottom end?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I'm suggesting that Tim Martin, who was a big advocate of Brexit like others such as farmers, is now facing a potential staff shortage, as some farmers currently are, that he didn't envisage or want and is now potentially having to raise wages to attract staff, which among other things, is perhaps what's behind his more cautious outlook for the future in his remarks on Wetherspoon's results today, as well as his anti-EU rant. I increasingly get the impression from Mr Martin that he wasn't wanting to do this when he voted 'leave' in June of last year.

He has no issue at all with FOM or immigration and suggested we merely put restrictions on new EU countries joining the bloc after we've left, which we would have done anyway had we remained. I've seen him state many a time in Wetherspoon's News his desire that FOM basically carries on. He even went as far as to suggest, by way of an explanation, that after we've left it's simply no different to after Ireland became independent in the 1920's - people can still come and work here exactly as before. Despite all leave voters knowing exactly what they were voting for, I'm suggesting that what he campaigned for in his pubs, voted for and wanted and what actually happens might well be mutually exclusive. We'll see.

So are you saying that immigration was all about CHEAP Labour after all?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Of course he does they are a substantial proportion of his customer base.

Not in The 'spoons I drink in - it's just because it's cheap, well located and has convenient opening hours compared to other pubs, particularly if you're on shift work. Is it like that in the 'spoons you drink in though?

What do you think might happen to The Wetherspoon's business model if prices go up, and for customers on fixed incomes such as pensioners? Will they still drink in 'spoons?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So are you saying that immigration was all about CHEAP Labour after all?

No, not all. Some business models do rely on lower waged, flexible workers though, such as those operated by some who voted for Brexit like Mr. Martin and many NFU members.

You might be better off directing questions like this to Mr Martin directly though, I'm merely a Wetherspoon's customer, not it's spokesman.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not in The 'spoons I drink in - it's just because it's cheap, well located and has convenient opening hours compared to other pubs, particularly if you're on shift work. Is it like that in the 'spoons you drink in though?

What do you think might happen to The Wetherspoon's business model if prices go up, and for customers on fixed incomes such as pensioners? Will they still drink in 'spoons?

Yeah right .. the less fortunate don't drink in the cheapest pubs. As you have pointed out before predicting the future is a muggs game.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
No, not all. Some business models do rely on lower waged, flexible workers though, such as those operated by some who voted for Brexit like Mr. Martin and many NFU members.

You might be better off directing questions like this to Mr Martin directly though, I'm merely a Wetherspoon's customer, not it's spokesman.

But you did though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yeah right .. the less fortunate don't drink in the cheapest pubs. As you have pointed out before predicting the future is a muggs game.

I see the less fortunate drinking in other places to Wetherspoon's - far worse places too that sell something at next-to-nothing. It's a stereotype to say 'substantial proportion' though these days - 'spoons has all sorts and with prices such as Guinness at £3.29, free- cloud wi-fi, prompt and friendly service, modern clean toilets, checked on an hourly basis, convenient central locations, the revolutionary Wetherpoon's app for even more convenient table service, a family friendly orientated dining experience - JD Wetherspoon's really does have it all. :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Do the farmers drink in Wetherspoons?Did the Guardian get it wrong again?Does Tim Martin post on NSC?:rolleyes:

grauniad.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Do the farmers drink in Wetherspoons?Did the Guardian get it wrong again?Does Tim Martin post on NSC?:rolleyes:

A lot of farmers didn't listen to The NFU though. :rolleyes:

I don't read The Guardian but I do read Tim Martin - I can't recall him mentioning NSC.

larus

How's the 'parity vs Euro' panic going? Pounds has a rather good week and when interest rates do go up slightly (which will a good sign and not a bad sign - just to enlighten the economic illiterate snowflakes), then expect to see it strengthen further. This increase in the pound will also have an impact to inflation.

* waits for the posts saying that exporters will suffer now :lol:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Many business's benefit from immigration/cheap labour that's not rocket science.If you're a boss you'll look to get the cheapest staff as possible and that's why Immigration isn't a great thing in the long term as many migrants have little to spend and when they do they'll send the money home.
10 years nearly of austerity cuts and 5 million immigrants here working during a boom boom boom economy....Yes it's a great thing when the government is potless.This country is potless because it is partially owned by foreigners who invest and take the rest out of the country and also we give billions away to overseas projects and more just to keep our reputation in tact.

This country is and has been drained of all its recourses !!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see the less fortunate drinking in other places to Wetherspoon's - far worse places too that sell something at next-to-nothing. It's a stereotype to say 'substantial proportion' though these days - 'spoons has all sorts and with prices such as Guinness at £3.29, free- cloud wi-fi, prompt and friendly service, modern clean toilets, checked on an hourly basis, convenient central locations, the revolutionary Wetherpoon's app for even more convenient table service, a family friendly orientated dining experience - JD Wetherspoon's really does have it all. :thumbsup:

Student union bars? How can a 'substantial proportion' be stereotyping, it's a vague unquantifiable term. Agree JD's is a national treasure :thumbsup:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

OK, I've just made a detour to my local Spoons and I can't find any people from outside the UK behind the bar. Are they perhaps all locked up in the kitchen (sorry, microwave room)?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
How's the 'parity vs Euro' panic going? Pounds has a rather good week and when interest rates do go up slightly (which will a good sign and not a bad sign - just to enlighten the economic illiterate snowflakes), then expect to see it strengthen further. This increase in the pound will also have an impact to inflation.

* waits for the posts saying that exporters will suffer now [emoji38]
I am genuinely surprised by the sudden bounce back of the £. I really do not see what has changed so dramatically to cause it but I welcome it all the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here