Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What's the situation with the Czech Republic and migrant quotas? Are the E.U. still bullying the country into accepting them? Where is the freedom to say no, and not be threatened? That's the E.U. all over isn't it? Don't do as you are told, and we will make your life difficult.

Goodness gracious. I just couldn't read it as it was.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What's the situation with the Czech Republic and migrant quotas, are the EU still bullying the country in to accepting it? Where is the freedom to say no and not be threatened. That's EU all over isn't it, don't do as your told, we will make your life difficult.

No idea tbh.. however, we are not discussing the Czech Republic are we. But, I think following the rules of a club you are benefiting from is sort of normal.
The UK has been forced to jump off a cliff, with no plan, with incompetent pollticians, and negotiators that the EU negotiators appear to be running rings round. Good effort.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
EU doesn't listen, EU will never change, so remainers say it is better to stay in and reform from inside, that doesn't work either. End of story. Nothing works with the EU.

I thought the whole problem was the massive change that has occurred to the organisation we voted to be in, back in the seventies?
I don't see how you can argue that it is not what it was, and that it will never change.
The problem has been that most UK governments have seemed to just let them get on with it, and then try and get a little special arrangement just for us when something doesn't suit us. We need to be of it more to influence it more, and actually talk with the leaders of the other nations and persuade them that the direction needs adjusting, or policies need reforming.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I can't see the EU agreeing a transition period unless they know what we are transitioning to, and I can't see that getting done in time, it will probably end up to be no deal if she insists on this. There are a couple of escape routes left though.
We could instead ask for an extension to membership, whilst negotiations continue, I think the EU would be able to give agreement to this as it maintains our contributions and their access to our banking system and market. Saves up problems for the future but could allow time for a GE to take place, not a snap one where all parties were making up policy on the hoof, one where each party can properly lay out what it's aims for Brexit and everything else are.

Or, Parliament could hold a no confidence vote and force a GE, would require some big balls from pro EU and the more sane Brexiteer Torys though, as they would be risking their own seats. Messier and as likely to produce more chaos as more clarity.

Only the EU can extend the 2 year period given we triggered Article 50.

Would they agree to this given they don't believe May and co know what they want and realistically able to get.

It would however solve a lot of issues albeit making a longer period of uncertainty.

No doubt the leavers dont want this as they are happy for us to crash on the rocks after a cliff edge exit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Would they agree to this given they don't believe May and co know what they want and realistically able to get.

It would however solve a lot of issues albeit making a longer period of uncertainty.

No doubt the leavers dont want this as they are happy for us to crash on the rocks after a cliff edge exit

That was a reasonable post until your childish comment at the end.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It would require the EU's agreement, however, I can't see why any member state would object, it simply maintains the status quo for a while longer with the aim of reaching a fair arrangement for everyone.
It would be far harder for any member to object to than some transitional arrangement which would need more scrutiny and is more likely to have aspects that may disadvantage some members more than others.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
EU doesn't listen, EU will never change, so remainers say it is better to stay in and reform from inside, that doesn't work either. End of story. Nothing works with the EU.

That's just not true. The UK had wrung concession after concession out of the EU. The EU can listen you're just not interested in what it has got to say.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I thought the whole problem was the massive change that has occurred to the organisation we voted to be in, back in the seventies?
I don't see how you can argue that it is not what it was, and that it will never change.
The problem has been that most UK governments have seemed to just let them get on with it, and then try and get a little special arrangement just for us when something doesn't suit us. We need to be of it more to influence it more, and actually talk with the leaders of the other nations and persuade them that the direction needs adjusting, or policies need reforming.

Easier for us just to whine and complain rather than put in the hard work. Gives the tabloids something to write about / the disaffected something blame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There it is.... It is all going wrong so it is the EU's fault.

2 years ago it was all chest puffed out, have-our-cake-and-eat-it, German car sales washed down with gallons of Prosecco and free trade deals with Donald "America-First" Trump. Now it's all going tits up its the blame game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Easier for us just to whine and complain rather than put in the hard work. Gives the tabloids something to write about / the disaffected something blame.

This. Bit like the World Cups where everything from the ball to the pitches to the distances to the climate was blamed. It took a while but judging from the posts on NSC folk have finally got a grasp of where the issues lie. Hopefully Brexit will be the same.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
2 years ago it was all chest puffed out, have-our-cake-and-eat-it, German car sales washed down with gallons of Prosecco and free trade deals with Donald "America-First" Trump. Now it's all going tits up its the blame game.

I think we're running out of ideas. Was in Rome recently, maybe the Vatican City model will work

Outside the EU
Outside the Single Market
Outside the customs union
No EU contributions
No freedom of movement or right to remain (you have to be out by 5.30pm)

Perhaps Theresa May needs to call the Pope

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think we're running out of ideas. Was in Rome recently, maybe the Vatican City model will work

Outside the EU
Outside the Single Market
Outside the customs union
No EU contributions
No freedom of movement or right to remain (you have to be out by 5.30pm)

Perhaps Theresa May needs to call the Pope

Better than that - if we can show him that 'the holy lamb of God' really did 'walk on England's pleasant pastures green' we might get him to move the whole shop over here.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Hang on a second. Are people starting to think that an organisation with 27 countries is holding more power in negotiation than a single country? THEY NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM. So this must be an error.

We were never going to get the things people said we're easy and when another senior figure from the leave campaign comes out saying we are screwed people should listen. They won't of course. I wonder if there is a tipping point at which people will realise this is screwed? When 20 per cent cuts comes they include on pensions maybe?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hang on a second. Are people starting to think that an organisation with 27 countries is holding more power in negotiation than a single country? THEY NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM. So this must be an error.

We were never going to get the things people said we're easy and when another senior figure from the leave campaign comes out saying we are screwed people should listen. They won't of course. I wonder if there is a tipping point at which people will realise this is screwed? When 20 per cent cuts comes they include on pensions maybe?

Pensioners will be protected to the bitter end, the untouchables...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here