Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So months and months after people were saying that the UK should guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK post Brexit, Mrs May without any negotiation with the EU has offered a partial guarantee. EU citizens living here legally will be offered settled status, but dependent on the same rights being offered reciprocally to the UK citizens currently living in the EU.

So something that could have been put forward a year ago, gets an outing but effectively is not a lot given the caveat.

Well this team which we are told time and time again are the only ones able to negotiate the best possible deal for Britain announce something at the wrong EU event, which is really only for the domestic voters in an attempt to enable Mrs May to get some favourable news stories.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Why do people today feel that every human on the planet should have the right to move to where they want to be? Whether it is political beliefs, sexual orientation, war or any other reason? If you cannot support yourself when moving why should the country you choose to move to fund you? In the past the people of this country didn't have that choice and had to fight for their right to self determination and survival. What has changed?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Why do people today feel that every human on the planet should have the right to move to where they want to be?

Yeah! What absolute wankers! Wanting to leave their home country in search of a better life elsewhere.......Absolute cock-juggling thundertwunts.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So months and months after people were saying that the UK should guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in the UK post Brexit, Mrs May without any negotiation with the EU has offered a partial guarantee. EU citizens living here legally will be offered settled status, but dependent on the same rights being offered reciprocally to the UK citizens currently living in the EU.

So something that could have been put forward a year ago, gets an outing but effectively is not a lot given the caveat.

You have a short memory, the reciprocal offer she made today when she addressed the other leaders was put forward by T May last year.
Have you forgotten already that the president of the European Council wrote back in Nov 2016 and said no discussions on this issue until after article 50 has been triggered

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
One thing is almost certain the deal we get will not be a good as the one we currently have.

That is your opinion
Millions of people considered the current deal/agreement that we have which involves us handing over ever increasing sovereign powers away from Westminster, allows a EU court to have primacy over ours and stops us having full control of our borders to be a shocking state of affairs in the first place, a state of affairs that when reversed will already be a vast improvement on the current deal.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Please explain the relevance?

I think it's the fact most EU countries abstained, when one might have thought they'd back another EU member in this instance. Have we upset them recently or something?

Looks like Bulgaria, Croatia, Lithuania and Hungary were among the 15 countries worldwide who did support us though. Most Commonwealth countries voted against us too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think it's the fact most EU countries abstained, when one might have thought they'd back another EU member in this instance.

why? we have separate views on a great many matters of foreign and international affairs and there is not (yet) as single EU foreign policy. so why would we expect EU nations to support us en bloc? Canada and Switzerland also abstained, while as you note some EU nations votes where supportive. this is a obvious attempt to create an anti-Brexit from nothing - the suggestion its embarrassing doesn't even come from a source, its the beebs own correspondent's opinion. thats embarrassing journalism.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
why? we have separate views on a great many matters of foreign and international affairs and there is not (yet) as single EU foreign policy. so why would we expect EU nations to support us en bloc? Canada and Switzerland also abstained, while as you note some EU nations votes where supportive. this is a obvious attempt to create an anti-Brexit from nothing - the suggestion its embarrassing doesn't even come from a source, its the beebs own correspondent's opinion. thats embarrassing journalism.

What has that article got to do with The BBC? Here's a quoted source in the article also:

"Speaking after the vote Jagdish Koonjul, the Mauritian representative at the UN, said: “I’m elated. The results are beyond my expectations. It’s interesting that the EU didn’t support the UK."

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think it's the fact most EU countries abstained, when one might have thought they'd back another EU member in this instance. Have we upset them recently or something?

i feel slightly sorry for you tbh that you took the effort to link this to brexit, you must be in a cold dark part of Loserville to feel the need to scrape the barrel this low seeking blame to back up your belief.
On the plus side, we are leaving and at least you know that certainty.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What has that article got to do with The BBC? Here's a quoted source in the article also:

i was reading the BBC story. bottom line is there has been long standing difference of opinion on this veeeery long running saga, so to make out its related to EU is mischievous.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
i feel slightly sorry for you tbh that you took the effort to link this to brexit, you must be in a cold dark part of Loserville to feel the need to scrape the barrel this low seeking blame to back up your belief.
On the plus side, we are leaving and at least you know that certainty.

I didn't post the link to the article and it was the Mauritian UN representative who highlighted the lack of EU support here.

Thanks for your latest insult again - a charming, class and intelligent post as always from a brave keyboard warrior.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I didn't post the link to the article and it was the Mauritian UN representative who highlighted the lack of EU support here.

Thanks for your latest insult again - a charming, class and intelligent post as always from a brave keyboard warrior.

And yet when someone asked what the relevance to brexit was you jumped in and said "I think it's the fact most EU countries abstained, when one might have thought they'd back another EU member in this instance."

grow some balls chap, at least stick to your guns and back your own stance instead of distancing yourself immediately.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And yet when someone asked what the relevance to brexit was you jumped in and said "I think it's the fact most EU countries abstained, when one might have thought they'd back another EU member in this instance."

grow some balls chap, at least stick to your guns and back your own stance instead of distancing yourself immediately.

I'm not distancing myself from anything, you brave keyboard warrior you. The article was posted, the relevance was questioned, I provided an answer, and I subsequently provided a quote from the article.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm not distancing myself from anything, you brave keyboard warrior you. The article was posted, the relevance was questioned, I provided an answer, and I subsequently provided a quote from the article.

And you blamed that vote on Brexit.....:lolol: comical in your desperation

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
And you blamed that vote on Brexit.....:lolol: comical in your desperation

I didn't blame it on Brexit - the article implied it and the Mauritian official quoted in it, for whom the result was beyond his expectations, was surprised at EU member states abstentions.

With all due respect, your opinion on Brexit and most things are an insignificant irrelevance to me. Try and have a nice day though, if you can.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I didn't blame it on Brexit - the article implied it and the Mauritian official quoted in it, for whom the result was beyond his expectations, was surprised at EU member states abstentions.

With all due respect, your opinion on Brexit and most things are an insignificant irrelevance to me. Try and have a nice day though, if you can.

June 23rd chap
im going to have a great day without even trying. xx

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here