Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It makes a pleasant change exchanging views with someone more interested in finding areas of agreement rather than scoring cheap points.

I don't think we can afford to be isolationist and Brexit gives us the opportunity to be less Eurocentric. The trade block argument was probably the major reason I grudgingly tolerated our EEC/EU membership in the past but seeing the direction of travel was only ever leading to one destination and the numerous problems ever closer union was causing a tipping point was reached. If the EU had been more about trade and raising the living standards of all EU citizens and less about political intergration absorbing power to the centre, creating a Supranational entity/state a referendum would not have been needed.

Direction of travel?

UK exports in 2016: ($bn)

India 4.5
Australia 5.4
Japan 6.6
Canada 6.3
China 18.3
US 62.3
EU 203.2

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Why would the people of Liverpool have any interest in Brighton's past?

If you had read what went before you would know that the conversation was about someones decision to turn to the LibDems and my comment that I would never vote for them. A suggestion was made that it was time to forgive them for trying to eliminate the Albion. That's something that I would never do and I wouldn't expect the people of Liverpool to forgive the Sun either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You think things would be different now ? Really ?

Yes there were individuals ( although LDC was a party collective ) BUT, as I pointed out, the party leadership didn't give a shit either. Note you didn't answer if you would shake Archers hand - after all it was 20 years ago and he's only an individual.

1) I have no reason to believe any of the current Lib Dems have an axe to grind with Brighton...or that we even register highly on their radar. So yes I do believe "things would be different now."

2) And the Archer question was ignored because it's a daft hypothetical question. I don't tend to ponder things which will never be in a position to actually happen. But if you want an answer I'd probably politely decline.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you had read what went before you would know that the conversation was about someones decision to turn to the LibDems and my comment that I would never vote for them. A suggestion was made that it was time to forgive them for trying to eliminate the Albion. That's something that I would never do and I wouldn't expect the people of Liverpool to forgive the Sun either.

I see your point. They're two very different things and I don't feel it's appropriate to link them.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I see your point. They're two very different things and I don't feel it's appropriate to link them.

You might not, but I do. To me, what the libs did was even worse as it was a deliberate action to stop us having a ground in the only location possible. The Hillsborough tragedy had far worse consequences but I do believe that nobody set out to deliberately cause them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure what it being two decades ago has to do with it. When the Lib Dems were doing their utmost to destroy the club I swore never to vote for them in my lifetime. They were attempting to wreck something that brings pleasure to my life. I'm not so forgiving as you two clearly ..... I assume you'll both shake Archers hand if you bumped into him and say "it was 20 years ago, let's live and forget". Let's not forget that people went to prison or got criminal records fighting these scum.

It's not about forgiving those who did the wrong or sucking up to them. It's about understanding that they were a small group of people in a long lineage of people. Didn't you stop support BHA when we've had bad management / owners?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Indeed you can't just boycott the Lib Dems because of actions 15-20 years ago. Maybe one day I might vote Tory, but they've got us into a right mess and will have to a lot to get us out of it

What i do know is I've only had my Lib dem MP 6 weeks and she's highly effective and has been successful in lobbying government and bringing important issues to the table. Already 19 questions in parliament.

They are certainly giving hope to a lot of people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wonder what the people of Liverpool would say if that was put to them......

Different cases altogether. And actually quite insulting to use the tragedy, death and grief of that event to try to score points on here. Have a word with yourself. Shame on you. Shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Nobody suggested forgive the members of LD involved in that. They suggested they are more interested in the entire future of the UK than one period in the history of BHA.
Again, shame on you for trying to shoe horn Hillsborough into your agenda.
Do you have a go at German people for what their forefathers took part in either willingly or under duress? It's your kind of ignorance that has got us into this mess.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

But surely this makes no sense as it wasn't lib dem policy - it was a few individuals with a local NIMBY agenda.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I wonder what the people of Liverpool would say if that was put to them......

Well I am sure that the people of that resolutely remain-voting city would regard the future of the country as being more important than anything to do with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Your comparison is flawed though. Boycotting the Sun is like refusing to visit the Goldstone Retail Park - a solid gesture but not one that materially affects anyone other than those making it. It you genuinely feel that the wellbeing of the country depends on particular policies being adopted then it is ludicrous to turn your back on them because of something people associated with one party did on a local matter 20 years ago.

Mind you, it's not the worst reason I've heard for kicking the country in the nuts lately.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Different cases altogether. And actually quite insulting to use the tragedy, death and grief of that event to try to score points on here. Have a word with yourself. Shame on you. Shame.

Says the man with an avatar of Farage just surviving an air crash as a 'bitta banter' .......

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Well I am sure that the people of that resolutely remain-voting city would regard the future of the country as being more important than anything to do with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Your comparison is flawed though. Boycotting the Sun is like refusing to visit the Goldstone Retail Park - a solid gesture but not one that materially affects anyone other than those making it. It you genuinely feel that the wellbeing of the country depends on particular policies being adopted then it is ludicrous to turn your back on them because of something people associated with one party did on a local matter 20 years ago.

Mind you, it's not the worst reason I've heard for kicking the country in the nuts lately.

I do believe that the wellbeing of the country does depend on the policies being adopted, but not by the LibDems. They have earned my lifelong enmity due to their deliberate actions to kill-off our club - and I was a LibDem voter beforehand.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I do believe that the wellbeing of the country does depend on the policies being adopted, but not by the LibDems. They have earned my lifelong enmity due to their deliberate actions to kill-off our club - and I was a LibDem voter beforehand.

Enmity shouldn't necessarily stop you voting for them.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Or chop off its arms, poke it's eyes out and clobber it round the head, for that matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here