Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is so much info surrounding Brexit that i read something else today. We could control our boarders with EU citizens. If After 3 months they didn't have a job or a pot of cash in the bank we could deport them back home. This kind of shuts down the immigration argument. Although of the 97% EU nationals working and paying tax in this country less than 3% claim benefit.

Yes they do it in Austria, why not in the UK? Probably because its not worth it, immigrants work hard to give us a net benefit. Meanwhile, trouble down on the farm. The jobs Brits don't want to do...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40354331

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes they do it in Austria, why not in the UK? Probably because its not worth it, immigrants work hard to give us a net benefit.

its more complex than that, we dont have any mechanisms around residency or citizenship to monitor people once in the country, we dont have rules around them. so the EU rules that you must treat EU equally, leaves us unable to apply any rules around free movement. i probably havent explained that well. its a core flaw in the relationship with EU, the core legal system and approach to enforcement differ from most of Europe.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Right now Britain is being shunned, investment is continuing to dry up. Especially in financial services which whether we like it or not is our cash cow

Personally I rate Hammond, speaks a lot of common sense and isn't prepared to sit back and observe the self harm being inflicted on this country. Just hope parliament carries out its role - to act in the best interests of the country.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Right now Britain is being shunned, investment is continuing to dry up. Especially in financial services which whether we like it or not is our cash cow

this isn't true though, only this week i've read how a group of technology funds are increasing investment in UK, in spite of leaving EU. office space continues to be leased, for every story of a company complaining about brexit (usually to get something) there are stories on companies looking to take advantage or simply carrying on regardless.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Personally I rate Hammond, speaks a lot of common sense and isn't prepared to sit back and observe the self harm being inflicted on this country. Just hope parliament carries out its role - to act in the best interests of the country.

Maybe that is why we did not see him during the election!

D

Deleted member 22389

When will you be happy. Doom and gloom.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

He's a man of the people. His analogy of Brexit is spot on for most people, 'when you buy a house, you don't move all your furniture in on the first day', of course you don't, you keep it in your 2nd and 3rd houses until you're absolutely ready to inhabit the new house....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/22/philip-hammond-mocked-brexit-house-analogy-revealed-rich/

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
its more complex than that, we dont have any mechanisms around residency or citizenship to monitor people once in the country, we dont have rules around them. so the EU rules that you must treat EU equally, leaves us unable to apply any rules around free movement. i probably havent explained that well. its a core flaw in the relationship with EU, the core legal system and approach to enforcement differ from most of Europe.

Genuine question. Are you saying that if we devised residency/citizenship regulations along the lines of, say, Austria, free movement would largely cease to be, in practical terms, the problem it now is for some people?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Manufacturing demand strengthens - Manufacturing firms reported that both their total and export order books had strengthened to multi-decade highs in June, according to the CBI’s latest Industrial Trends Survey.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturing-demand-strengthens/

All the more need to keep Britain open and avoid the suicide cliff edge some desire. Some great British manufacturing stories (many European owned)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Genuine question. Are you saying that if we devised residency/citizenship regulations along the lines of, say, Austria, free movement would largely cease to be, in practical terms, the problem it now is for some people?

im saying that if there were residency (in particular) and citizen regulations then rules around them could be applied. free movement would still occur but there could be control in some areas. wouldnt sovle the "problem" for some but it would address emotive issue of benefit tourism for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here