Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would expect you more than anyone else to understand European culture seeing as you have lived in Germany. Admit it, Europeans can never admit their own mistakes, it's in their sodding culture, they just don't understand British culture period.

I am not quite sure what this has to do with my point other than you don't really have a proper response to it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Meh nice curves and bumps but did she vote for Brexit and what is her proposal for resolving the NI border issue.

She's a Catholic girl from Derry, I suspect her views on Brexit and the Irish border might differ to yours.

Whilst we're on the subject of Northern Irish women, I read yesterday that Arlene Foster and her friends and colleagues in The DUP did not have backing the boundary changes proposals as a requirement in the 'confidence and supply' agreement, presumably as June's General Election result projected on the new constituencies would have Sinn Fein as the largest Westminster party from Northern Ireland and coupled with the fact Tories, such as Priti Patel and John Whittingdale, would start arguing about who loses their job in neighbouring constituencies and who doesn't, that our strong and stable leader is going to do yet another u-turn and drop the boundary changes proposal and we'll stay with 650 constituencies and MP's as we have now.

I have sympathy for Mrs May on this one though, I wouldn't want to have to listen to Priti Patel whining at me either.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would expect you more than anyone else to understand European culture seeing as you have lived in Germany. Admit it, Europeans can never admit their own mistakes, it's in their sodding culture, they just don't understand British culture period.

What a moronic post. You appear to be inferring there are only two cultures in Europe - a British one and a European one, as if the Portuguese, Danish and Slovaks all mould into one convenient non-British UK culture. It's absolute drivel and represents a xenophobic attitude that is the absolute cornerstone of what some of our most dimwitted pro-Brexiteers genuinely believe.

You'll now argue that you we weren't saying that at all. But let's face it, you were: you genuinely believe - without foundation - that there is more of a difference between British and any other European country than between any two other EU member states.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

There are 28 countries in the EU. Each has its own individual identity and culture, with most attempting to work together for the common good. To suggest that there is 'British culture' and 'European culture' is ignorant and arrogant.

HT will understand the culture of the part of Germany that he lives in, but won't be so familiar with the foibles of the French, Italians or Greeks. But I'm sure he'd be interested enough to investigate these, and not just dismiss them out of hand, as you are.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What a moronic post. You appear to be inferring there are only two cultures in Europe - a British one and a European one, as if the Portuguese, Danish and Slovaks all mould into one convenient non-British UK culture. It's absolute drivel and represents a xenophobic attitude that is the absolute cornerstone of what some of our most dimwitted pro-Brexiteers genuinely believe.

You'll now argue that you we weren't saying that at all. But let's face it, you were: you genuinely believe - without foundation - that there is more of a difference between British and any other European country than between any two other EU member states.

Beat me to it.

D

Deleted member 22389

There are 28 countries in the EU. Each has its own individual identity and culture, with most attempting to work together for the common good. To suggest that there is 'British culture' and 'European culture' is ignorant and arrogant.

HT will understand the culture of the part of Germany that he lives in, but won't be so familiar with the foibles of the French, Italians or Greeks. But I'm sure he'd be interested enough to investigate these, and not just dismiss them out of hand, as you are.

My mum is Italian, so I understand exactly their culture. Even my French friend who has been in this country over 12 years admit there is a difference in culture, so my post is not ignorant or arrogant.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My mum is Italian, so I understand exactly their culture. Even my French friend who has been in this country over 12 years admit there is a difference in culture, so my post is not ignorant or arrogant.
"I'm not racist, I've got friends who are black".

The truth is, you couldn't have been more ignorant. The fact that your mum is Italian doesn't change that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
another grizzler :whistle:
regards
DR

I hate to do this but

As the result of a lot of hard work and taking opportunities when they arose
I am currently sat in a restaurant in a harbour overlooking the Mediterranean. I retired at 50 and have sufficient investments that although I'm paying 20% more for my meal tonight, it doesn't really make much difference.

That's the extent of my grizzling.

Meanwhile, there are people struggling to survive on their current income who were so naive (or stupid, I like to think naive) that they really thought Nigel and Boris would represent their interests and get them a better deal.

Wonder which group you're in?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I think everyone is aware that your mum is Italian, you've used that line so often to try to back up the idea that you are somehow the sage of all things European.

Your 'French friend' is right, there is a difference in culture. But as I said, there are enormous differences in culture all across Europe. Your friend would say the same wherever he or she went - and that includes from the north of France to the south.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
as discussed re Scotland independence, its the same thing. theres no path for a newly independent country to fast track membership, and many statements from EU officials that they would have to follow the established many year process to apply.

For sure difficult I agree and if they want then the EU will exclude them. But that doesn't read across to the Catalans want to leave the EU, they don't. And these are all man made rules, there to be changed

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Indeed an organisation that has an overriding agenda of ever closer union, obsessed with navel gazing, centralising power and creating the apparatus of statehood. Plus of course the Customs union acts as a protectionist wall limiting and restricting free trade to the outside world. As a visionary man once says 'time to raise our eyes to more distant horizons and rediscover that global vocation we once took for granted'.

What period of British history was your visionary man talking about do you think?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
if you were British you would be getting behind BREXIT, NOT GRIZZLING LIKE A BABY......... it's happening :thumbsup:
regards
DR

I am definitely British. And I won't stop "grizzling". Even after 29th March 2019 I will carry on campaigning for peace, understanding, togetherness, empathy, etc, etc. It will annoy the hell out of the xenophobic, isolationist, monolingual, monocultural Brexiteers, and the more it annoys them, the more I'll enjoy it! Fortunately the younger generation don't have the baggage of WW2 jingoism, the ill-judged superiority complex, and sense of entitlement that's rife in many of the older generation who voted to Leave. So - we might go through a painful decade or two learning that the world doesn't actually owe us a living - but sooner or later we will be back in the fold.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She's a Catholic girl from Derry, I suspect her views on Brexit and the Irish border might differ to yours.

Whilst we're on the subject of Northern Irish women, I read yesterday that Arlene Foster and her friends and colleagues in The DUP did not have backing the boundary changes proposals as a requirement in the 'confidence and supply' agreement, presumably as June's General Election result projected on the new constituencies would have Sinn Fein as the largest Westminster party from Northern Ireland and coupled with the fact Tories, such as Priti Patel and John Whittingdale, would start arguing about who loses their job in neighbouring constituencies and who doesn't, that our strong and stable leader is going to do yet another u-turn and drop the boundary changes proposal and we'll stay with 650 constituencies and MP's as we have now.
I have sympathy for Mrs May on this one though, I wouldn't want to have to listen to Priti Patel whining at me either.

Apparently if the last election had been fought on the changed boundaries the Tories would have lost more seats than Labour and only got 298 seats instead of 318, making it impossible for them to make a deal or form a coalition. Not so much a potential U turn then.. more a tactical reassessment.

Back to my favourite NI lady.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Apparently if the last election had been fought on the changed boundaries the Tories would have lost more seats than Labour and only got 298 seats instead of 318, making it impossible for them to make a deal or form a coalition. Not so much a potential U turn then.. more a tactical reassessment.

It wouldn't have been impossible - you'd only need 301 seats under the boundary changes for an overall majority, not 326 as at present. So 298 + The DUP - Sinn Fein not taking their seats = plenty. No tactical reassessment at all - just another u-turn by our weak and feeble Prime Minister.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Meanwhile, there are people struggling to survive on their current income who were so naive (or stupid, I like to think naive) that they really thought Nigel and Boris would represent their interests and get them a better deal.

All struggling to survive whilst being a member of the wonderful EU.
There are people struggling to survive who voted and said fruck that, something different please and there are people struggling to survive who voted for more of the same. And you call the first group naïve(or stupid)…….hmmm

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It wouldn't have been impossible - you'd only need 301 seats under the boundary changes for an overall majority, not 326 as at present. So 298 + The DUP - Sinn Fein not taking their seats = plenty. No tactical reassessment at all - just another u-turn by our weak and feeble Prime Minister.

Good point although they would still have lost more seats than Labour. Not a tactical reassessment then more an enforced change of plan due to not having a majority. Thought you would be pleased as Labour would support abandoning any change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here