Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm still convinced vast swathes of the public don't really understand Brexit or its consequences, when they do it will be too late

The hard reality of a hard Brexit is creeping up fast and not going away

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/business/airbus-boss-warns-hard-brexit-105193

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy-idUKKBN1930MQ

Meanwhile inflation up, growth down, investment drying up. There is still time for a softening of our stance, the demands of the DUP are the perfect excuse for Tories

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The fact that half of UKIP supporters in 2015 (virtually all of whom would have ticked Leave in 2016) voted Labour rather than Tory last week suggests that large numbers of Leave voters aren't that bothered anyway. It is very easy to be misled by the ultras (plenty of them on here) who just listen to their own echoes. If Leave box tickers were really concerned about it the heavy Brexit Tory Party would have romped home last week.

The fact that half of UKIP supporters in 2015 (virtually all of whom would have ticked Leave in 2016) voted Labour rather than Tory last week suggests that large numbers of Leave voters aren't that bothered anyway. It is very easy to be misled by the ultras (plenty of them on here) who just listen to their own echoes. If Leave box tickers were really concerned about it the heavy Brexit Tory Party would have romped home last week.
Labour are the party of Brexit now, they always were, but Corbyn held his true views back until this election.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No nurses, tories privatise everything, rich get richer, poor get poorer, welcome to "great" Britain

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It'll free up work opportunities for our own British trained Nurses, except, there is a reduction in British students training to be nurses since the Tories stopped their bursaries

Plus with morale in The NHS at an all time low, newly qualified young British nurses can go abroad where they'll be wanted as well. There was a BMA survey done earlier in the year, when recruitment was at 100 nurses a month from The EU, rather the 46 it's dropped further to now - Over 40% of all foreign staff within The NHS were considering leaving.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Plus with morale in The NHS at an all time low, newly qualified young British nurses can go abroad where they'll be wanted as well. There was a BMA survey done earlier in the year, when recruitment was at 100 nurses a month form The EU, rather the 46 it's dropped further to now - Over 40% of all foreign staff within The NHS were considering leaving.

I was recently in Hospital for a few days (7)two short spells, two different Hospitals, three different wards. In all that time, only 3 nurses who were on the wards were British, there were a couple of Germans, a couple of Phillipinos, loads of Southern Irish and 3from the Caribbean. They were all excellent though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is a real worry.

I wonder how the Brexiteers can spin it.

No need to spin it at all.
Just read a different news source that gives you more facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40248366#comp-comments-button

"The NMC has also drawn attention to the introduction of English language tests, which were brought in for EU nurses for the first time in January 2016 - they were already in use for non-EU nurses.
It normally takes a few months from being tested to making it on to the register so officials believe this could have also played a role in the drop in numbers"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I was recently in Hospital for a few days (7)two short spells, two different Hospitals, three different wards. In all that time, only 3 nurses who were on the wards were British, there were a couple of Germans, a couple of Phillipinos, loads of Southern Irish and 3from the Caribbean. They were all excellent though.

Last August Grantham A&E closed overnight due to staff shortages and despite Jeremy Hunt's very best efforts, it's still closed overnight. Birthplace of Thatcher no less. It's tragic what we're doing to ourselves.

D

Deleted member 22389

"The NMC has also drawn attention to the introduction of English language tests, which were brought in for EU nurses for the first time in January 2016 - they were already in use for non-EU nurses.
It normally takes a few months from being tested to making it on to the register so officials believe this could have also played a role in the drop in numbers"

I knew there would be another reason for this, like always.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Well spun. The Health Foundation has made it quite clear that the main cause is the referendum result.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

"Could" - at a near 100% drop surely they should have a better idea?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

My aunt was in Southampton University Hospital earlier this year for six weeks. I ended up visiting her a dozen times and got to know the nurses and doctors on her ward really well. All bar a couple were non-Brits (Portuguese, Spanish, Polish). They were all fantastic. The type of Brexit that May wants will kill the NHS....which is, of course, what the Tory right wing wants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here