Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thank's for that Soulman, and as a remainer, that is the only argument from the leavers that I tend to agree with.
It is stupid that we cannot make our own deals as well as being part of the EEC, but was their no way this could be pushed through the EU by our MEP's?
I honestly don't know as we used to get so little info from them, just look at the turnout for voting whenever we had to elect a new one in this country. 30% would be the average. Shows how much interest people actually took when it came to electing people to go there on our behalf to vote on rules put forward by the Commission.

Yes I tend to agree. As I have said before, whether you voted Remain or Leave there are advantages on both sides, for me though I felt in the long run that Leave outweighed remain.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The best strategy for a united Great Britain, for a positive future, to heal divisions in our lives after the EU is clearly to gloat. Well done you, I'm sure this is the best way to put the Great back.
It was just a reply to a post that was wrong on so many counts! Anyway, I'm celebrating, not gloating - very different things.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As and when he said, in other words the economy will decide I would have thought.
Er, it already does. If there weren't jobs that needed doing, people wouldn't be coming here would they?

No, he's gone from insisting immigration will be down to the tens of thousands after Brexit to admitting some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall.

Ultimately, we are at the mercy of the rest of the EU, which has absolutely no reason to give us a good deal. It's so obvious to pretty much every economic expert I've come across. I realise people like you are fed up with being told things by experts, but it doesn't mean they're not right. Brexit is going to be very bad for this country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He was saying yesterday he wants immigration tightening but already this almost certainly looks like it's not going to happen. Officially, the government is sticking to its ambition to get net migration down to the tens of thousands. But on the BBC’s Question Time on Monday night, David Davis said immigration levels will not come down consistently after Britain leaves the EU. The Brexit secretary admitted some UK industries “depend on migrants” and that means inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall.

Still, the penny appears to have finally dropped with the British government - that the EU holds all the aces, and it is not in their interests to give us a favourable deal. Whatever happens, we will be worse off under Brexit. Hopefully the British electorate will never forgive the Tories for this absolute mess, even the people who voted for Brexit and end up looking for someone to blame.

Correct. The uk has decided to leave. It simply cannot have a better deal with the EU after it's left.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It may be helpful to consider the UK's post war growth figures (compared to those in the union) for the period up until us joining, and then look at the same statistics for the period after we joined.

I am not sure over such a long and quite unique period in modern history those figures are very relevent, however as a coming together as active and preferential trading partners, absolutely thats a good thing to a point, political expansionism beyond whatever anyone could have possibly percieved not so.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
SERIOUS QUESTION TIME

on bbc breakfast they have been going around interviewing the great British public, and those of my age, approaching retirement of retired have all to a man said that by voting brexit, we will make Britain great again!

Can someone give me some clue as to when they are talking about? Assuming we have been in th EU since the early seventies, it must have been in th period after the war to the 70's. Well we were in horrendous depression until around the mid sixties, so presumably, unless they are expecting a new British Empire, they are referring to the time between say 1966 to say 1974Ish?

When did you think that Britain was actually great on the world trading stage?

An odd definition of "we" that people of that age use. What they actually mean is "the people under fifty will try and make it great for us with our triple locked pensions even though they will have to work longer and the majority did not support Brexit"

Oh well. What can we do? Suck it up and try to make it the best we can.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed, there were numerous tales of people practically on their death bed who were determined to vote for freedom for the country they love, even if it was literally the last thing they did.
The same generation who fought to keep this country free in their youth voted to make this country free once again at their end.

:rolleyes:

"free" my arse.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Er, it already does. If there weren't jobs that needed doing, people wouldn't be coming here would they?

No, he's gone from insisting immigration will be down to the tens of thousands after Brexit to admitting some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall.

Ultimately, we are at the mercy of the rest of the EU, which has absolutely no reason to give us a good deal. It's so obvious to pretty much every economic expert I've come across. I realise people like you are fed up with being told things by experts, but it doesn't mean they're not right. Brexit is going to be very bad for this country.

in" some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall"
Rise from tens of thousands, not rise from 330000 a year as it is now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
An odd definition of "we" that people of that age use. What they actually mean is "the people under fifty will try and make it great for us with our triple locked pensions even though they will have to work longer and the majority did not support Brexit"

Oh well. What can we do? Suck it up and try to make it the best we can.

The need to raise the pension age occurred while we were in the EU - it is due to demographics (an ageing population), and would happen whether or not we are in the EU, and has nothing to do with Brexit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
in" some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall"
Rise from tens of thousands, not rise from 330000 a year as it is now.
Let's deal with the facts rather than whatever you want to make up. Where has anyone said "will need to rise from tens of thousands"? That's in your head. And if there are 330000 coming here every year, there are obviously jobs to fill. Who is going to do those jobs all of a sudden?

All we know is that on the one hand, the government is saying they want immigration to be in the tens of thousands, but just last week Davis admitted some UK industries “depend on migrants”, meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall. That means it might barely change, and is hardly the cast iron promise you were looking for when you foolishly voted out. At no point has he said "we'll get immigration down to the tens of thousands AND THEN we might need immigration to rise as well as fall".

Anyway, my biggest issue with all of this is the feeble, gutless PM we now have who was a staunch remainer and has now abandoned her principles rather than standing up for them. When it all goes tits up (when our economy slumps), she'll blame Brexit despite it's paper-thin majority and the total absence of facts and multitude of lies we heard from both sides on the campaign trail.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The need to raise the pension age occurred while we were in the EU - it is due to demographics (an ageing population), and would happen whether or not we are in the EU, and has nothing to do with Brexit.

I didn't say it didn't. My point was about the use of "we"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As and when he said, in other words the economy will decide I would have thought.

You talk absolute rubbish at times. You really are a moron. The economy HAS decided hence you have migration. FFS. And I'll skip correcting your crap grammar.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Article 50 letter has been delivered. The clock is now ticking...

[tweet]847047933405093892[/tweet]

Donald Tusk @eucopresident
After nine months the UK has delivered. #Brexit

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Let's deal with the facts rather than whatever you want to make up. Where has anyone said "will need to rise from tens of thousands"? That's in your head. And if there are 330000 coming here every year, there are obviously jobs to fill. Who is going to do those jobs all of a sudden?

All we know is that on the one hand, the government is saying they want immigration to be in the tens of thousands, but just last week Davis admitted some UK industries “depend on migrants”, meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall. That means it might barely change, and is hardly the cast iron promise you were looking for when you foolishly voted out. At no point has he said "we'll get immigration down to the tens of thousands AND THEN we might need immigration to rise as well as fall".

Anyway, my biggest issue with all of this is the feeble, gutless PM we now have who was a staunch remainer and has now abandoned her principles rather than standing up for them. When it all goes tits up (when our economy slumps), she'll blame Brexit despite it's paper-thin majority and the total absence of facts and multitude of lies we heard from both sides on the campaign trail.

Ok, your opinion. These prophecies of doom were also made nearly a year ago, apparently things were going to go tit up asap....10 months later....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Which EU law is everyone most excited about not having to abide by anymore?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ok, your opinion. These prophecies of doom were also made nearly a year ago, apparently things were going to go tit up asap....10 months later....

Seriously?

One last time....

BREXIT

DIDNT

START

UNTIL

TODAY

It's going to take 10 years MINIMUM to see the full extent of the damage caused by this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here