Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

And wages are becoming worth less and less every day as a direct result of Brexit and the latest election result. We have people in full time work who are paid so little they go to food banks.

I'm sorry pal, but with each passing day the brexiteers false optimism and denial looks more and more ridiculous. In fact it becomes downright insulting to those who are going to suffer as a direct result of Brexit and the Tory government.

I have already suffered last year which had **** all to do with Brexit. A month away from not being able to pay the mortgage is how close we got, because my wife lost her job. My wife went on agency sometimes travelling an hour on the bus. We didn't give up, not with a 2.5 year old to look after, worst case scenario we would sell and live In a mobile home, which we laughed about. Wife now has a new job coming up, and I have something early in the mornings, we will be better off, that's why this doom and gloom gets on my ruddy nerves because nobody has a damn clue what is going to happen in the future, nobody, so people need to be a bit more optimistic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have already suffered last year which had **** all to do with Brexit. A month away from not being able to pay the mortgage is how close we got, because my wife lost her job. My wife went on agency sometimes travelling an hour on the bus. We didn't give up, not with a 2.5 year old to look after, worst case scenario we would sell and live In a mobile home, which we laughed about. Wife now has a new job coming up, and I have something early in the mornings, we will be better off, that's why this doom and gloom gets on my ruddy nerves because nobody has a damn clue what is going to happen in the future, nobody, so people need a bit more optimistic.

I would expect you to have a little more empathy with those that are suffering RIGHT NOW as a direct result of Brexit then. But oh no, not you. Just because your situation wasn't linked to Brexit it doesn't mean nobody else has problems which are.

You make a great point that nobody knows what's going to happen in the future, nobody. Spot on. And that uncertainty is precisely what is causing huge economic problems for most of the UK. That is a DIRECT result of Brexit and of May's monumental **** up of an election.

Optimism and hope are things dreamers cling onto while real people go about trying to fix things.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have already suffered last year which had **** all to do with Brexit. A month away from not being able to pay the mortgage is how close we got, because my wife lost her job. My wife went on agency sometimes travelling an hour on the bus. We didn't give up, not with a 2.5 year old to look after, worst case scenario we would sell and live In a mobile home, which we laughed about. Wife now has a new job coming up, and I have something early in the mornings, we will be better off, that's why this doom and gloom gets on my ruddy nerves because nobody has a damn clue what is going to happen in the future, nobody, so people need to be a bit more optimistic.

The issue is, as you put it, no one has a damn clue. Don't you find it quite disturbing that a first world nation has no idea or plans or strategy or even a government at the moment?

I think people have every right to question the future direction and prosperity of the UK. And just because you cannot see a positive outcome it doesn't necessarily mark you down as a pessimist.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

As an aside you say it had **** all to do with Brexit but do not say how or why your wife lost her job so we only have your word that it was unrelated. The usual way in which people lose a job is through redundancy or closure, neither of which companies doing economically well tend to do. Also you have suffered through Brexit. If the uncertainty wasn't there from the vote the pound would be stronger and your money would go further, crucial when you have lost an income I would have thought.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I only said it was plausible .. as likely to occur as all the apocalyptic scenarios suggested by others.

I thought you weren't a fan of referendums.

I don't think there will be an apocalypse, just a steady and unnecessary relative fall in living standards and opportunities; a narrowing of horizons and smaller lives for those that follow us.

I thought you were a fan of referendums.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think there will be an apocalypse, just a steady and unnecessary relative fall in living standards and opportunities; a narrowing of horizons and smaller lives for those that follow us.

I thought you were a fan of referendums.

I'm starting to see a slight change in tone from some of the more keen Brexiteers on here. There was once a cock-sure and rabid defence of their decision and the future. As the country is slowly sliding away economically, with a government who seem incapable of making any decisions or even understanding their own laws and people let alone those of the 27 nations they now face in negotiations, maybe they're finally waking up to the reality?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Apparently the feeling of the nation was changing and a referendum was held. That change in feeling was (just) born out.

Only a fool would deny the feeling of the nation is changing again and therefore, following the logic of the first referendum, a second referendum is now required.

Why, just a few posts ago on here someone said they regret voting leave. Sensible chap. It's only the head in the sand, right wing hardcore that are bricking it and wetting the bed over a second referendum.

I predict we won't need one anyway, we are going to get a gelatinous Brexit. If it gets that far.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apparently the feeling of the nation was changing and a referendum was held. That change in feeling was (just) born out.

Only a fool would deny the feeling of the nation is changing again and therefore, following the logic of the first referendum, a second referendum is now required.

so therefore we get to have a referendum every year or two as the mood towards the EU changes?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
so therefore we get to have a referendum every year or two as the mood towards the EU changes?

Who is suggesting that? I'm talking about a second ref to correct the mistake. Better yet, just correct it without another idiotic referendum.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Why, just a few posts ago on here someone said they regret voting leave. Sensible chap. It's only the head in the sand, right wing hardcore that are bricking it and wetting the bed over a second referendum.

I predict we won't need one anyway, we are going to get a gelatinous Brexit. If it gets that far.

The mood of the nation is firming up behind getting on with Brexit.. See my post from yesterday with the latest YouGov poll.

YouGov poll shows 70% agree that UK should now leave the EU.

yougov2-1024x543.png

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Who is suggesting that? I'm talking about a second ref to correct the mistake. Better yet, just correct it without another idiotic referendum.

you did! ah, you want to "correct the mistake" because you disagree with the result, not following logic at all.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
The mood of the nation is firming up behind getting on with Brexit..
If only there was some process whereby Theresa May could put that idea to the electorate and then get a clear mandate from the British people. If only.

The Brexit chaos of the last 12 months clearly stems from twisting 52/48 result into strong mandate to leave when it obviously meant 'Don't know'.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If only there was some process whereby Theresa May could put that idea to the electorate and then get a clear mandate from the British people. If only.

The Brexit chaos of the last 12 months clearly stems from twisting 52/48 result into strong mandate to leave when it obviously meant 'Don't know'.

Well said, Bravo.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

you're choosing to ignore concepts of democracy because results doesn't suit your view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here