Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We are Brexiting. Fact. I accept that as a Remain voter.

I fear for what the future country will look like. With a weak pound; little access to the single market and therefore not much of an attraction for significant investment; a burgeoning elderly demographic; rising prices in the shops and falling wages, it's not going to be pretty. In fact it's going to be awful.

However, too many people keep repeating the hyperbole that we should just be more confident in our country and stop doing it down. Unfortunately, they don't provide any hard data to prove that this is going to be the land of milk and honey that they predict.

Unfortunately, until people actually see the writing on the wall, until they can actually walk up and touch the wet paint of the letters, they won't believe it. When they can, they'll know, by which time, it will be too late.

Our only hope is to get rid of May and her ideologues and negotiate a soft Brexit. However, politics today is about saving the Tory party, not about running the country for the good of the majority.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Stephen Clarke, Economic Analyst at the Resolution Foundation, said:

“Today’s figures confirm the big picture trend that the UK labour market is great at creating jobs, but terrible at raising people’s pay.

“The scale of the pay squeeze over the last decade is so vast that people today are earning no more than they did back in February 2006, despite the economy being 4.4 per cent bigger per person since then.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Stephen Clarke, Economic Analyst at the Resolution Foundation, said:

“Today’s figures confirm the big picture trend that the UK labour market is great at creating jobs, but terrible at raising people’s pay.

“The scale of the pay squeeze over the last decade is so vast that people today are earning no more than they did back in February 2006, despite the economy being 4.4 per cent bigger per person since then.”

You cannot come on here with your facts.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The charts say a lot. It is your fault that you are unwilling to listen.

When has any prediction by the OECD,or any other alphabet soup of Pessi-mystic Meg economist proved accurate.Might as well follow what this failure says:

mystic clegg.jpg

Just sorting through the post after the holiday,and there's one from our MP telling us there's a bin strike on in Birmingham!On the ball,this new breed of Labour MP.Jess Phillips must of been stuck so far up Corbin's backside she didn't notice the smell.:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When has any prediction by the OECD,or any other alphabet soup of Pessi-mystic Meg economist proved accurate.Might as well follow what this failure says:

View attachment 90309

Just sorting through the post after the holiday,and there's one from our MP telling us there's a bin strike on in Birmingham!On the ball,this new breed of Labour MP.Jess Phillips must of been stuck so far up Corbin's backside she didn't notice the smell.:lolol:

I'm sorry but that was genuinely a load of gibberish. What point are you striving to articulate?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mr Verhofstad was very clear on this point if we simply decided to change our mind and stay.

"if Britain is changing its mind, it will find an open door. I do not disagree with him but, like in Alice in Wonderland, not all doors are now the same. It will be a brand new door with a new Europe: a Europe without rebates, without complexity, with real power and with unity"
Hard facts which remainers like to pretend don't exist #27..................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've seen no figures regarding those of us who voted in 1975 and again in 2016. I'd estimate only about 25% of those who voted in '75 were still alive in June '16. Probably barely 20% of those voting last year were alive and eligible to vote in 1975.
It would be interesting to know how many voted the same way in both. I was a "yes" voter in '75, convinced it was the sensible thing to do. It's a long time ago but I remember feeling much the same sort of arrogance so many of the remainers display today. We were lied to then as we are lied to by the remain side again now.
Proud to be an 'out' voter, then and now.

The muck and abuse hurled at the 'No' voters was just as vicious then as it is now. Fortunately, this time we stood up to the bullying by the establishment.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I fear for what the future country will look like. With a weak pound; little access to the single market and therefore not much of an attraction for significant investment; a burgeoning elderly demographic; rising prices in the shops and falling wages, it's not going to be pretty. In fact it's going to be awful.

However, too many people keep repeating the hyperbole that we should just be more confident in our country and stop doing it down. Unfortunately, they don't provide any hard data to prove that this is going to be the land of milk and honey that they predict.

Unfortunately, until people actually see the writing on the wall, until they can actually walk up and touch the wet paint of the letters, they won't believe it. When they can, they'll know, by which time, it will be too late.

Our only hope is to get rid of May and her ideologues and negotiate a soft Brexit. However, politics today is about saving the Tory party, not about running the country for the good of the majority.

If you don't like ideologues, then I suggest you emigrate -because if May were to lose an election, then . .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

You sum it up well, its my kids future that I fear for.

As for getting rid of May, the question is to replace with what? Right now she's trying to stop the Tories party from complete disintegration in the middle of a critical negiotation with the EU

We have a united 27 on one side and a dis-united 1 on the other. What a complete mess we're become...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If you don't like ideologues, then I suggest you emigrate -because if May were to lose an election, then . .

If May were to lose an election what? You assume that Corbyn would win a majority. I've no time for Corbyn and I believe that his party are misguided by their performance at the last GE.

However, a government seeking to pass a broad set of legislation based upon a manifesto is different to a committee led by David Davis driving us towards the Brexit that the Tory right demand.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Proud to be an 'out' voter, then and now.

The muck and abuse hurled at the 'No' voters was just as vicious then as it is now. Fortunately, this time we stood up to the bullying by the establishment.

Generation snowflake.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

View attachment 90309

The charts you seem so fond of bear little or no resemblance whatsoever to what the real position will be,when the true figures are known,in 2018.They are almost as accurate as my prediction that Christine Lagarde (head of the IMF) would receive a prison sentence after being found guilty of massive fraud.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The charts you seem so fond of bear little or no resemblance whatsoever to what the real position will be,when the true figures are known,in 2018.They are almost as accurate as my prediction that Christine Lagarde (head of the IMF) would receive a prison sentence after being found guilty of massive fraud.

You realise you are now quoting and replying to yourself.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I see our "government" has allocated £50m to an as yet undisclosed private firm to take on the task of preparing a system to register EU citizens.

A typical vile Tory move. The pigs come snorting around the trough and the Tory's start handing out cash to the already rich and jobs for the boys. Sickening

Just out of interest, how many programmers, project managers etc do you think the government has hidden in cupboards to be able to take on this work ? Outsourcing isn't just a Tory hobby, Labour did an awful lot of it too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've seen no figures regarding those of us who voted in 1975 and again in 2016. I'd estimate only about 25% of those who voted in '75 were still alive in June '16. Probably barely 20% of those voting last year were alive and eligible to vote in 1975.
It would be interesting to know how many voted the same way in both. I was a "yes" voter in '75, convinced it was the sensible thing to do. It's a long time ago but I remember feeling much the same sort of arrogance so many of the remainers display today. We were lied to then as we are lied to by the remain side again now.
In the last eighteen months or so I've watched a couple of bits of film of people I despised then. People whose politics I would still despise today. Yet, on the subject of The EU I find leading Labour figures of the time making brilliant speeches warning of the terrible dangers posed by The Common Market. Peter Shore, Barbara Castle, even Tony Benn; politicians I loathed, were so visionary and wise on this subject.
I feel rather ashamed of my 21 year old self, but then even Mrs T. was fooled then. 23rd June last year I was able to even the score.

I was 26/27 in 1975 voting yes, and only 67 when I voted Remain last year. I'm fairly sure there a lot more than 25% of us still alive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

View attachment 90309

You can look for yourself...

http://oecdinsights.org/2014/02/12/how-accurate-are-oecd-forecasts/

OECD appears to be better at predicting upturns than downturns, getting 90% of it's upturn predictions right and 46% of downturns right. But that 46% is driven by the fact that in the past the OECD has been too optimistic. It has failed because it has got the scale of the downturns it predicted wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You can look for yourself...

http://oecdinsights.org/2014/02/12/how-accurate-are-oecd-forecasts/

OECD appears to be better at predicting upturns than downturns, getting 90% of it's upturn predictions right and 46% of downturns right. But that 46% is driven by the fact that in the past the OECD has been too optimistic. It has failed because it has got the scale of the downturns it predicted wrong.
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/920284472070803457

[tweet]920284472070803457[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here