Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I think if we had another YES / NO vote the result would again won by a small margin in either direction, the result would continue to be a nation tearing itself apart, neither side would be content.

What we need is a ratification vote on the final deal, ie do we go for it, or keep the status quo. Its what the Lib Dems ratherly poor communicated during the election campaign.

JC Footy Genius and others have patiently explained that asking the voting public for their views when more information is available would be an appallingly undemocratic thing to do and that anyone who suggests it is some sort of mental defective. I know, I know. It's the world we live in.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
JC Footy Genius and others have patiently explained that asking the voting public for their views when more information is available would be an appallingly undemocratic thing to do and that anyone who suggests it is some sort of mental defective. I know, I know. It's the world we live in.

Mentally defective is a bit OTT I prefer the term hypocritical shysters. :kiss:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

They got what they wanted. Now just get out of the plane, don't worry about the parachute, just get out, its a bed of feathers down there

Aug 23, 2011

if one vote is democratic, surely another vote is even more democratic. The more votes you have the higher the level of democracy surely?

Aug 23, 2011
I think if we had another YES / NO vote the result would again won by a small margin in either direction, the result would continue to be a nation tearing itself apart, neither side would be content.

What we need is a ratification vote on the final deal, ie do we go for it, or keep the status quo. Its what the Lib Dems ratherly poor communicated during the election campaign.

The trouble is i'm convinced no-one is going to be happy with the outcome. The leavers won't get a hard enough deal and the remainers will get too hard a deal so we'll end up with an even more divided nation with people blaming each other for everything

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes I think that classic from my back catalogue referred to the Lib Dems others could be added if they feel excluded though.

I guess the clue is the name - 'Democrats/Democratic'.

Liberal Democrats
Hilary Clinton and The Democrats.
Democratic Unionist Party.
German Democratic Republic
Democratic Republic of The Congo
Democratic People's Republic of Korea............................

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
How very EU like - we got the wrong answer so keep asking it until we get the right answer.

Are you sure? You're probably thinking of Denmark and Ireland. In those places, a 'no' vote led to major concessions being granted and mainly as a result of these the people voted 'yes'. To suggest that the EU simply keep repeating questions until the answers change is one of those myths.

(In addition to this, there is also some historical evidence that when people are asked about the EU in a referendum they will instinctively give a general anti-EU reply. When asked again they will think about the question on its own merits and give a more considered response that better reflects their actual view.)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
WE'RE LEAVING BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THE VOTE WENT , STOP SULKING and live with it
regards
DR
I thought you were going to reply to post 31753 for a moment but the poster following that one seems to be right - you just don't have the capacity to deal with serious questions. So carry on ranting and everyone will carry on ignoring you. Seems sensible.

Jan 30, 2008
I thought you were going to reply to post 31753 for a moment but the poster following that one seems to be right - you just don't have the capacity to deal with serious questions. So carry on ranting and everyone will carry on ignoring you. Seems sensible.
yep , you carry on waffling about things you have no input in ,cheap talk isn't going to stop us leaving the EU, thanks for your views:hilton:
regards
DR

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
yep , you carry on waffling about things you have no input in ,cheap talk isn't going to stop us leaving the EU, thanks for your views:hilton:
regards
DR

Doesn't look like you're read too much of this thread on here lately

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

if one vote is democratic, surely another vote is even more democratic. The more votes you have the higher the level of democracy surely?

I can confirm what is democratic. Parliament discussed and voted on an amendment to hold a second referendum at the end of the Brexit process. It was defeated by a large majority. Why should the public and politicians keep on voting until they come up with the result you want simply because you are still having ongoing problems coping and adjusting to the reality that the country voted to Leave The EU.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I can confirm what is democratic. Parliament discussed and voted on an amendment to hold a second referendum at the end of the Brexit process. It was defeated by a large majority. Why should the public and politicians keep on voting until they come up with the result you want simply because you are still having ongoing problems coping and adjusting to the reality that the country voted to Leave The EU.

Well it worked for the Irish..............

Aug 23, 2011

I didn't say i had any problems with the result and wasn't suggest another vote. I was postulating on why more votes wouldn't be more democratic? You must be worried that you wouldn't win a second time to be so against it :) Incidentally you could argue that the referendum isn't democratic as democracy as defined by the english oxford dictionary as

"A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives."

Therefore democracy is that government that we voted in and we shouldn't have had a referendum in the first place

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here