Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Yoda

English & European
in" some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall"
Rise from tens of thousands, not rise from 330000 a year as it is now.

The only trouble with that figure is that about half of it is from outside the EU. People we HAVE control over. If our bloody government did something about that figure and people, we could've controlled it might not have been as bad as some people believe. Immigration was one of the biggest reasons people voted leave.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
in" some UK industries “depend on migrants” - meaning inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall"
Rise from tens of thousands, not rise from 330000 a year as it is now.

EU net migration is 165,000 or thereabouts. Where does your 330,000 come from?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Manfred Weber‏Verified account
@ManfredWeber

Follow
More
EU has done everything to keep the British. From now on, only the interests of the remaining 440 million Europeans count for us. #BrexitDay

Absolutely....we have rejected Europe and want to go on our own....all this bullocks about remaining in a tariff free/ duty free trade zone without the EU rules is just fanciful in the extreme.

Still, we have our country back and I can eat my cornetto although I feel very guilty about it

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The only trouble with that figure is that about half of it is from outside the EU. People we HAVE control over. If our bloody government did something about that figure and people, we could've controlled it might not have been as bad as some people believe. Immigration was one of the biggest reasons people voted leave.

Exactly...bloody fuzzy wuzzies

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't understand May mentioning twitter, as if tweeting by an MP is actually going to have an affect on the talks.

The excuses are already coming out.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Which EU law is everyone most excited about not having to abide by anymore?

Definitely the one limiting the power of vacuum cleaners.

I can never get my house dust free with the shackles the EU places on my vacuum cleaner.

Not only have we got our country back, I will have my house back too.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Seriously?

One last time....

BREXIT

DIDNT

START

UNTIL

TODAY

It's going to take 10 years MINIMUM to see the full extent of the damage caused by this.

I mean you're obviously correct but that hasn't prevented 731 pages of BED WETTING on here and every single bad thing to happen to the UK since the referendum to blame Brexit somehow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What's your point? Love Europe - loathe The EU.
It's probably that we are moving away from Europe so that our own parliament can take control. You know, the one where 75% of seats are a forgone conclusion, the electoral boundaries are uneven and unfair, and where the upper chamber still contains unelected toff peers and the whole thing is overseen by an unelected head of state.

And you can't see the irony?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hoperfully,the negotiators will have this on the door of their workroom so they can honour their own words!

treaty.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Do we still have to buy flymo lawn mowers anymore? I thought that was a EU edict that we all have to have hover mowers that don't cut very well!

Is there a good old English mower I should be buying?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As the pound falls back against the dollar and there is the corresponding rise in the globally influenced FTSE,

pound risen against dollar since early trades, and against the euro too. #fickelcurrencytraders

Yoda

English & European
Definitely the one limiting the power of vacuum cleaners.

I can never get my house dust free with the shackles the EU places on my vacuum cleaner.

Not only have we got our country back, I will have my house back too.

Get yourself a decent vacuum like I did a few months ago then. My floors are cleaner now than when I used the old higher wattage one we used to have.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Statement by the European Council* (Art. 50) on the UK notification

Today, the European Council received a letter from the British Prime Minister, Theresa May, notifying the United Kingdom's intention to leave the European Union. This notification follows the referendum of 23 June 2016 and starts the withdrawal process under Article 50 of the Treaty. We regret that the United Kingdom will leave the European Union, but we are ready for the process that we now will have to follow.
For the European Union, the first step will now be the adoption of guidelines for the negotiations by the European Council. These guidelines will set out the overall positions and principles in light of which the Union, represented by the European Commission, will negotiate with the United Kingdom.
In these negotiations the Union will act as one and preserve its interests. Our first priority will be to minimise the uncertainty caused by the decision of the United Kingdom for our citizens, businesses and Member States. Therefore, we will start by focusing on all key arrangements for an orderly withdrawal.
We will approach these talks constructively and strive to find an agreement. In the future, we hope to have the United Kingdom as a close partner.
President Tusk has convened the European Council on 29 April 2017.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_STATEMENT-17-793_en.htm?locale=en

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Manfred Weber‏Verified account
@ManfredWeber

Follow
More
EU has done everything to keep the British. From now on, only the interests of the remaining 440 million Europeans count for us. #BrexitDay

Herr Weber must have forgotten the non-concessions that Cameron received in Feb 2016. they had a chance to offer alternative to ever closer integration, roll back from some areas, but declined. they didn't take the risk of us leaving seriously, so here we are.

on the positive, if the EU will genuinely work for the interest of the remaining 440m EU citizens, there will be a mutually beneficial agreement. we'll see in the next two years if they are interested in the citizens of the EU or the political project of the EU.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Commonwealth citizens may have been here in the period up to the 1970s (when you say we 'turned against them') but it was that very period which saw our growth languishing far behind mainland countries such as France and Germany. Growth really got going when we joined the union. Are you saying it was the Commonwealth citizens that held us back?

I interrupted the post by [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] and reference to 'turned against' Commonwealth citizens as being to emergence of The NF, Enoch Powell et al from the late 1960's onwards.

Yes your interpretation was right. No the Commonwealth citizens didn't hold us back but helped us rebuild. Germany did build but was divided so only West Germany made any progress. Once the two Germanies were reunited, their growth took off. Unity will always benefit more than division.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Get yourself a decent vacuum like I did a few months ago then. My floors are cleaner now than when I used the old higher wattage one we used to have.

I think I will wait thanks.

James Dyson (Great British Engineering Legend) will develop a post EU vacuum cleaner capable of cleaning like no other vacuum cleaner before, I suspect he has already got a prototype lined up. He wanted out of the EU so we can make our country great gain too. Admittedly this vacuum cleaner will be manufactured in Malaysia, after he moved the manufacturing away from the UK (he does want to make our country great gain too, hones), but so be it, we have got our country back.

Thank God we voted out, the children will thank us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here