Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

"slant" aside it's reporting the same thing. What's your point?

(I'll overlook the numerous journalistic assumptions and the fact this is an editorial piece from a Russian owned newspaper)

The Guardian is very negative, end of. It doesn't want Brexit to be a success. Exodus, what's going to be left one office, with one person doing the final bit of paperwork before the lights go out. Bored of the scaremongering.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"slant" aside it's reporting the same thing. What's your point?

(I'll overlook the numerous journalistic assumptions and the fact this is an editorial piece from a Russian owned newspaper)
Not making any point aimed at you except that the guardian, like the other paper is biased. Also, it's my feeling that Brexit is happening so we are all now on the same side.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not making any point aimed at you except that the guardian, like the other paper is biased. Also, it's my feeling that Brexit is happening so we are all now on the same side.

Fair enough. Who is "we"? The UK and the EU?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
This will be interesting

"Paris pitches for bankers as it predicts exodus from City. In one of the most aggressive marketing initiatives yet, a delegation of French political and business leaders met representatives of about 80 banks and fund managers for a summit yesterday on the 37th floor of London’s Shard."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rive-to-woo-london-bankers-uprooted-by-brexit

I am aware Frankfurt are doing similar and Berlin has been in London eyeing up the tech scene.
Not really very interesting at all , this ''exodus'' simply wont happen http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...nts-reasonable-brexit-deal-for-city-1.2964364

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lol: at the denier thing, and the other bit too. But let's be honest, you really don't understand how business works do you? Oh, and before you do the remoaner thing ad infinitum, I have accepted the voters decision, now you have to accept the consequences.

Glad you've accepted the result - I won't bracket you with the remoaners in future! As for consequences, yes, I think it was understood by most leavers that there would be some cost involved in leaving the EU (a price worth paying, it was considered) but you must surely understand that some greedy businesses will grab the chance to raise their prices and blame it on Brexit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What has the thickness of nylon stockings got to do with anything (except, of course, the thickness of nylon stockings)?
Nylon stocking thickness has been linked with fluctuations birth rate.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This will be interesting

"Paris pitches for bankers as it predicts exodus from City. In one of the most aggressive marketing initiatives yet, a delegation of French political and business leaders met representatives of about 80 banks and fund managers for a summit yesterday on the 37th floor of London’s Shard."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rive-to-woo-london-bankers-uprooted-by-brexit

I am aware Frankfurt are doing similar and Berlin has been in London eyeing up the tech scene.

and Dublin, Warsaw, Luxembourg, Amsterdam. there's half the reason why the "exodus" will not be great, a fragmentation of business services that no one in business and finance particularly wants. and note the phrasing in the quote, its not a new, other financial centers are often trying to tempt business to their patch. plus ca change.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Fair enough. Who is "we"? The UK and the EU?
As the article specifically addresses London and possible losses of influence and as we are in the UK, then I would suggest we is the UK. Not that I don't wish to be on extremely good terms with the rest of Europe. I don't feel the guardian understands the 'we' aspect though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Nope, you are drawing in whataboutery.

The facts are we have a legitimate outcome from a referendum, which was held after the Parliament voted for it.

At best those MPs that did not vote for it would have a case not to vote in favour of the outcome referendum.

Those that did vote for it, which I understand all Lib Dems did, are now behaving dishonestly and dishonourably. As a dyed in the wool Leave supporter I thought Kier Starmer's speech on voting for Article 50 was excellent and he explained why for democratic reasons remain orientated MPs (even those from remain voting constituencies) had to vote in favour of it.

Those that didn't are not democrats........end of.

1. Most of those that voted voted to leave the EU.

2. The formal process to do so is about to start.

3. The implications of leaving will become far more apparent during the course of this process.

4. People will have different views about the net effect of these implications.

5. I can see nothing undemocratic about asking the people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them.

6. We disagree.

7. The chances of your view prevailing vastly exceed mine.

8. Precedent suggests that I will be called a hypocritical and undemocratic moron for holding my view.

The above are facts.

This is an opinion... Although there are considerable differences in cause and circumstance, I see similarities in the situation now and that in 1974. The people were asked if they wanted Labour in power. On balance they said that they did. The government refined and clarified its position during the summer and a few months later asked them again. They said, rather more strongly, that they held the same view as before. There was nothing undemocratic then and there would be nothing undemocratic now. "End of."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As the article specifically addresses London and possible losses of influence and as we are in the UK, then I would suggest we is the UK.
Actually the 'we' in question was written by you, so it's your definition we're debating. You said "Also, it's my feeling that Brexit is happening so we are all now on the same side" so it seemed pretty obvious to me that you meant we UK leavers and remainers want the best for the UK, so we are now on the same side.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Glad you've accepted the result - I won't bracket you with the remoaners in future! As for consequences, yes, I think it was understood by most leavers that there would be some cost involved in leaving the EU (a price worth paying, it was considered) but you must surely understand that some greedy businesses will grab the chance to raise their prices and blame it on Brexit.

I have to smile at some of the posters that have bleated they will be worse off etc etc, then promptly go on the UK or Abroad thread and informany us of the place/places they are going for their jollies.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This will be interesting

If they just take the honest ones,nobody will notice the difference!:lolol:
If they take the corrupt ones,like Scourfield,Mills,Goodwin,etc. they will fit in well,and the air will be fresher in the UK.Win/Win,so who cares?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
1. Most of those that voted voted to leave the EU.

2. The formal process to do so is about to start.

3. The implications of leaving will become far more apparent during the course of this process.

4. People will have different views about the net effect of these implications.

5. I can see nothing undemocratic about asking the people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them.

6. We disagree.

7. The chances of your view prevailing vastly exceed mine.

8. Precedent suggests that I will be called a hypocritical and undemocratic moron for holding my view.

The above are facts.

This is an opinion... Although there are considerable differences in cause and circumstance, I see similarities in the situation now and that in 1974. The people were asked if they wanted Labour in power. On balance they said that they did. The government refined and clarified its position during the summer and a few months later asked them again. They said, rather more strongly, that they held the same view as before. There was nothing undemocratic then and there would be nothing undemocratic now. "End of."

See absolutely nothing undemocratic in suddenly asking for another vote only after they have lost the first with the stated intention of trying to block the will of the voting majority before it can be enacted. What's the name of your guide dog?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
See absolutely nothing undemocratic in suddenly asking for another vote only after they have lost the first with the stated intention of trying to block the will of the voting majority before it can be enacted. What's the name of your guide dog?

The actual words I used were 'I can see nothing democratic about asking people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them' and I stand by those. I appreciate that you want everything done and dusted on Brexit before people have any more relevant information and I can understand why - if I had just flogged someone a misleadingly advertised motor I would really want their cash in my bank before they lifted the bonnet.

In view of your comments perhaps you would like me to adjust my label to 'blind, hypocritical and undemocratic moron'?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The actual words I used were 'I can see nothing democratic about asking people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them' and I stand by those. I appreciate that you want everything done and dusted on Brexit before people have any more relevant information and I can understand why - if I had just flogged someone a misleadingly advertised motor I would really want their cash in my bank before they lifted the bonnet.

In view of your comments perhaps you would like me to adjust my label to 'blind, hypocritical and undemocratic moron'?

Moron might be a bit too far!:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here