Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite. And who knows if any of the record self-employed are actually working at all.

This. The Torys set up a start your own business scheme basically enticing people from JSA over to the scheme with a 1k payout on production of a business plan. Most attendees ideas simply weren't viable but were waved through to get the unemployment figures down.
Essentially anyone telling their JSA supervisor that they wanted a job that could be done as a self employed person were told their JSA would stop if they didn't go through the course. They'd go through the course, fail and no be allowed back on JSA for a certain time period because they voluntarily left JSA to do this worthless course.
That does not indicate a strong job market.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Not sure this temporary / permanent customs union idea will go down with hard brexiteers, essentially means we must adopt existing and future EU regulation and prevents signing new trade deals with other countries during transition period unless I am mistaken.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I love your optimism, hope i'm proved wrong but too many turncoats for my liking.

Just for clarity, to whom do you refer to, with your choice of the term 'turncoats'?

Not any of the 17m people who voted against leaving the EU, presumably? If any number of those people wish to continue to argue against any particular aspect of Brexit, and take whatever legal steps they choose, to obstruct it, they have every right to do so.

They are certainly not 'turncoats'.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe because you want it to come in order to prove a point... more so than the interest of your own country ?

I really can't be bothered to dignify that with a response. If you even believed it and weren't just typing it because you don't have the cells to come up with a decent argument, I'd retort. What iota of difference does it make what I want anyway, according to you lot it's definitely not going to be a problem so...happy days.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not sure this temporary / permanent customs union idea will go down with hard brexiteers, essentially means we must adopt existing and future EU regulation and prevents signing new trade deals with other countries during transition period unless I am mistaken.

I thought the wish was to sign trade deals with others (presumably superior to the EU existing deals) whilst in the temporary customs union, we could then undercut the EU27 countries with grey market imports via the UK.

So the French could then buy chlorine washed chicken at knockdown prices, instead of their completely overpriced Poulet Fermiers!!

There is whole new world of trade out there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I like the idea of an invisible border. I fact I might try and sell the government one.

David Davis "Where's this border then?"
HT "There"
David Davis "Where, I can't see it."
HT "Of course you can't, its invisible."
David Davis "Brilliant, I'll buy it."

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I read in The Times this morning we've said we're not going to police the Irish border, therefore if any chlorinated chickens from The US or swine disease infected pigs from Botswana or foot and mouth suffering cows from Zambia, as part of our comprehensive free trade deals with the big wide world end up in The EU so be it.

It'll probably be okay and I'm sure David Davis and Michael Gove at DEFRA have got it all covered and The EU and Dublin will be happy with that too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I read in The Times this morning we've said we're not going to police the Irish border, therefore if any chlorinated chickens from The US or swine disease infected pigs from Botswana or foot and mouth suffering cows from Zambia, as part of our comprehensive free trade deals with the big wide world end up in The EU so be it.

It'll probably be okay and I'm sure David Davis and Michael Gove at DEFRA have got it all covered and The EU and Dublin will be happy with that too.

I wish you wouldn't be so negative

They are currently working a swine disease alarm that will detect an infected pig lorry at up to 70mph, there are automated technology solutions to all these challenges.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read in The Times this morning we've said we're not going to police the Irish border.

To be fair I think this is just part of the general police cuts though. **** all is policed these days.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Also what if they don't let us remain the customs union unless we pay a stonking great divorce fee? ??? Look at a calendar and say "there is the cliff edge, jump if you wish au revoir."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How can you police an invisible border? How will the police know where it is?

#BrexitCloudCuckooLand

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wish you wouldn't be so negative

They are currently working a swine disease alarm that will detect an infected pig lorry at up to 70mph, there are automated technology solutions to all these challenges.

I know - Cameras and recognition technology on a 500km invisible border will sort it out and friction less trade will continue exactly as before, despite leaving The EU, Single Market and Customs Union.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

if the EU impose a hard line on trade with the UK, they and the Irish will be the ones who'll have to police that hard line. they will have to do this regardless of our agreements with other countries. customs check goods coming in, not going out. we are going to be open and cooperative with the Irish, are the EU going to help or hinder?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How can you police an invisible border? How will the police know where it is?

#BrexitCloudCuckooLand

Exactly. Invisible borders and friction less trade, exactly as before but without uncontrolled mass migration, don't require policing. It'll all be fine.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Similar fears of a backdoor in the labour market were put to officials when they revealed that there would be nothing to stop EU economic migrants traveling through the Republic of Ireland into the UK under a continuation of the common travel area scheme. The government believes it can limit the impact of any such undocumented immigration through tighter checks on work permits in the UK.

hahahahahahahahahahaha yeah alright

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
if the EU impose a hard line on trade with the UK, they and the Irish will be the ones who'll have to police that hard line. they will have to do this regardless of our agreements with other countries. customs check goods coming in, not going out. we are going to be open and cooperative with the Irish, are the EU going to help or hinder?

Let us have our cake and eat it or play hard ball?

Let us have our cake and eat it of course. We're British.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
One in five unemployed people in the UK are migrants...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ficial-figures-reveal/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

...official figures have revealed for the first time.

The figures show that 317,000 migrants are unemployed, including 98,000 who were born in the EU and 219,000 born outside the EU.

The proportion of EU migrants who are unemployed is 4 per cent, while the proportion of migrants from outside the EU who are unemployed is 6.2 per cent. The overall unemployment rate of migrants is 5.3 per cent.

The number of Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK has risen by a third over the past year to a record 362,000 in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union.

Romanians and Bulgarians now make up one in six of all EU migrants living in the UK after a slight fall in the number of people coming from other European nations.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This. The Torys set up a start your own business scheme basically enticing people from JSA over to the scheme with a 1k payout on production of a business plan. Most attendees ideas simply weren't viable but were waved through to get the unemployment figures down.
Essentially anyone telling their JSA supervisor that they wanted a job that could be done as a self employed person were told their JSA would stop if they didn't go through the course. They'd go through the course, fail and no be allowed back on JSA for a certain time period because they voluntarily left JSA to do this worthless course.
That does not indicate a strong job market.

Are you talking about New Enterprise Allowance rolled out in 2011'sh, it seems a worthwhile aspiration to offer those perhaps with less access to help, financial and mentoring to be offered an opportunity to do so if they feel they can start a business.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/555836/nea-official-stats-to-june-2016.pdf

It seems that since 2011 170 000 have accessed the NEA and the criteria has been opened up to many sections, not just JSA, I am not sure the take up will skew the unemployment figures much.

Where exactly are all these fraudulent claimants that are doomed to failure, it seems many have succeeded, why would you be against opportunity to be an entrepreneur especially those that otherwise might not be able to do so.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
One in five unemployed people in the UK are migrants...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ficial-figures-reveal/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

...official figures have revealed for the first time.

The figures show that 317,000 migrants are unemployed, including 98,000 who were born in the EU and 219,000 born outside the EU.

The proportion of EU migrants who are unemployed is 4 per cent, while the proportion of migrants from outside the EU who are unemployed is 6.2 per cent. The overall unemployment rate of migrants is 5.3 per cent.

The number of Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK has risen by a third over the past year to a record 362,000 in the wake of the vote to leave the European Union.

Romanians and Bulgarians now make up one in six of all EU migrants living in the UK after a slight fall in the number of people coming from other European nations.

Are they all claiming benefits too?

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here