Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very good. So, as you have obviously seen all this coming, would you care to advise those of us that didn't what you have done to protect yourself?

I know this wasn't a question for me but I am happy to advice. The horse has already bolted for some of my measures so you will not benefit unfortunately.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Anybody who is stupid enough not to see that the EU is dying,is very welcome to leave.When is QE finishing?The EU bank can't keep buying worthless debt forever,and once they stop,the bubble will burst big time.Looking forward to getting Lira,Drachma,and Pesetas again.:lolol:

wild untethered deflection. The EU is growing, if slowly.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

It's crumbling mate, we might soon get a harder Brexit by actually rejoining, your little EU utopia has lost its way, the UK will end up the voice of reason as the continent rips itself apart.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

If the EU is doing so well,they should be in a rush to get rid of us.You lot keep saying our economy is the worst in Europe so we must be dragging them down.Wonder how much it will grow from March 2019?:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the EU is doing so well,they should be in a rush to get rid of us.You lot keep saying our economy is the worst in Europe so we must be dragging them down.Wonder how much it will grow from March 2019?:lolol:

Once you have coughed up what you owe you can go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I also see that EasyJet have started moving their UK flights from their Uk company over to their new European one.

D

Deleted member 22389

I also see that EasyJet have started moving their UK flights from their Uk company over to their new European one.

Old news, we have known all along Easyjet was setting up another base in Europe alongside the UK one. Nothing has changed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Old news, we have known all along Easyjet was setting up another base in Europe alongside the UK one. Nothing has changed.

It’s not old news at all. You knew they’d applied for an Austrian license and sett up a separate EU company. What you didn’t know until a few days ago was that they have moved a large chunk of their UK flights to this new company. My flights are now run by an Austrian company and not a British one....and profits etc will now be lost...in short business is being lost as a direct result of Brexit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s not old news at all. You knew they’d applied for an Austrian license and sett up a separate EU company. What you didn’t know until a few days ago was that they have moved a large chunk of their UK flights to this new company. My flights are now run by an Austrian company and not a British one....and profits etc will now be lost...in short business is being lost as a direct result of Brexit.

And the Leavers still deny deny deny.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And the Leavers still deny deny deny.

And EasyJet are also picking up some of Alitalia and Air Berlin, but now all under their new EasyJet Euro company. Shame as this could have been excellent business for the UK. As you say, deny deny deny.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

It had always been on the cards since the vote but I heard over the weekend that my old company are now finally closing the office I worked at by the end of Q1 next year and moving the operations to their Warsaw office so as to provide 'certainty and continuity' to their primarily Dublin based clients, so as to be able to guarantee adhering to Central Bank of Ireland regulatory requirements apparently. American companies like them aren't waiting around to see if a deal on financial services can be done-or-not.

D

Deleted member 22389

The move will not effect UK jobs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You will have to explain to me. I’m no business expert but, for example, if BA lost a flight to Virgin then I’m pretty certain BA would be impacted in some way.

Out of interest which air line did you use to fly to Cloud Cuckoo Land?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Which Government do you think will benefit in new tax receipts from EasyJet moving functions and operating out of their new Austrian Company and who will lose out in tax receipts - Vienna or London?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/westminster-s-hall-of-mirrors-is-about-to-shatter-gxp2qcdt5

Politics is stuck in a hall of mirrors, where nothing is quite as it seems and nobody means exactly what they say. Theresa May is presiding over Brexit, a policy that she opposed in last year’s referendum campaign on the grounds that it would make the country poorer and less safe. Even now the prime minister cannot say whether she believes it is right for the UK to leave the EU but she is taking the country out anyway.

Damian Green, the first secretary, goes so far as to say that he would vote Remain again if there were another ballot tomorrow, yet he is de facto deputy of a government committed to breaking with the rest of Europe in a harder than necessary fashion. Philip Hammond faces calls for his sacking from Brexiteers who accuse him of being too pessimistic — but still the chancellor has endorsed a departure from the single market and the customs union that the Treasury fears will do devastating economic damage. The home secretary is sitting in a cabinet that has approved a plan which only a few months ago she was arguing could make the country more vulnerable to terrorist attack. Another cabinet member wishes the transition period would last for “50 years”.

Across Whitehall, ministers are holding their red boxes with one hand, and their noses with the other, as they see the biggest change of their lifetime unfolding on their watch, even though this is a revolution they do not believe in. No wonder the government seems so anxious and uncomfortable. “We are trapped in a box,” admits one minister. “Parliament feels frozen by the referendum but people voted for a fantasy we can’t deliver. They can only have Brexit if they’re prepared to suffer the pain.” It is an extraordinary situation. In the past, ministers have resigned from the government in principle over much less. This is not so much a constitutional mess as an ethical one, with ambiguity on all sides.

Those who have seen Mrs May privately in recent weeks describe her as stricken and stunned. On one occasion she sat in silence for almost ten minutes while the visitor she had invited to see her waited for her to lead the conversation. He left the meeting deciding she no longer wanted to be prime minister. The internal contradiction of her position must be taking an emotional as well as a political toll. According to reports in the German press, she appeared “tormented” at her dinner with Jean-Claude Juncker last week.

There is an institutional as well as a personal incongruity in Whitehall, with most senior civil servants opposed to Brexit. Even in the Department for Exiting the EU many officials believe they are masterminding a policy against the national interest. In the Commons, MPs voted for Article 50 which started a process towards an outcome a majority of them want to prevent.
Anna Soubry, the pro-European MP who resigned from the government last year, admits she is relieved at no longer being a minister. “I don’t believe the majority of people in the government want the hard Brexit they’re now pursuing,” she says.

The Brexiteers will claim this is the dreaded “elites” closing ranks against “the people” but there is of course a clash between the representative democracy of parliament and the direct democracy of a referendum. In any case, it’s not only the former Remainers who are internally torn between political expediency and economic reality. Michael Gove and Boris Johnson both campaigned for Brexit but now seem uncertain about what it should mean. They wanted to shake things up but never expected to win. Like the robbers in The Italian Job, they were “only supposed to blow the bloody doors off”.

Although friends say the foreign secretary now has the “zeal of the convert” about leaving the EU, he has always been in favour of immigration. He is also nervous about the short-term impact of Brexit. He once told me that the economy would follow the path of a Nike tick if we voted to leave, going down before soaring up. He knows that those in the poorest parts of the country who voted for Brexit to improve their lives can ill afford even this short-term dip and there is no sign of the £350 million a week he promised for the NHS. Mr Johnson’s effervescent optimism has the feel of Peter Pan telling the children to clap to keep Tinker Bell alive.

David Davis and Liam Fox may be true believers but even their dreams are slowly adjusting to the reality of Brussels negotiations. The Tory party is so dysfunctional that the Conservative voice on Radio 4’s The World At One yesterday was Suella Fernandes, who happily laid into the Confederation of British Industry as leader of the European Research Group of Tory Brexit-supporting MPs, although she is also parliamentary private secretary to Mr Hammond, who presumably takes a rather different view about Britain’s leading businesses. In the hall of mirrors, images ricochet around and identities become confused.

Labour is in its own gallery of glass. Jeremy Corbyn, an instinctive radical who has for years seen the EU as part of a capitalist conspiracy, now looks in the mirror to see himself attempting to preserve the status quo for a transitional period at least. John McDonnell has floated the idea of staying in a reformed single market, even though the left has always resisted the controls on state aid that belonging can bring. Meanwhile the Labour moderates sit meekly by while their leader takes the party in a direction with which they totally disagree. One MP told me that Mr Corbyn’s leadership was a “moral” question for him. He was so opposed to his policies on defence, national security and public spending that he did not want him to become prime minister. Yet he and many others remain on the Labour benches because they hope one day to reclaim their party.

None of this is black and white. It would be easy to accuse the Remain-supporting cabinet ministers, or the Labour moderates, of hypocrisy, but that would be a cheap hit. In both cases, decent people believe they must respect a democratic mandate, whether that is the Brexit referendum or the Labour leadership election. They are staying in their positions because they hope to make what they see as a bad situation better. Yet the profound lack of trust in politics will only be exacerbated by the perception that so many politicians are doing the opposite of what they believe.

The voters demand honesty and authenticity, yet the reality at Westminster is dissembling and ambiguity. There will be more than seven years’ bad luck when this hall of mirrors comes crashing down.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Which Government do you think will benefit in new tax receipts from EasyJet moving functions and operating out of their new Austrian Company and who will lose out in tax receipts - Vienna or London?

Taxes that pay for things don't matter, they can fuel the NHS with the mana of sovereignty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here