Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, but we are hearing about the intent of our negotiations, I am wondering how you would feel about having a court that is not the ECJ, but is in effect, and not having EU law automatically become EU law, but instead have a vote on every piece in Parliament and no doubt pass it all anyway, like the Swiss do?

We are hearing lots of stories and interpretations of stories from sources with numerous agendas. Probably best to wait for some cast iron facts before reaching a judgment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You still haven't got over that have you?I'm sure you could understand it if you looked at a map.Can you get out of your front door without sat-nav?Perhaps you should take a holiday to Turkey and the locals could show you the border.
Sits back and waits for the usual 'Your punctuation is worse than a year one child and I'm going to thcream and thcream until you say the BBC is wonderful and you are all racists and nazis :tantrum:'.

Is Turkey joining the EU?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We are hearing lots of stories and interpretations of stories from sources with numerous agendas. Probably best to wait for some cast iron facts before reaching a judgment.

It is just that previously you have advocated that Brexit must include no ECJ, I am wondering if another court, either the EFTA one or another yet to be formed, was replicating the job of the ECJ, i.e. making judgements for or against the UK based on the shared aspects of EU and UK law, would that still constitute a real Brexit for you?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You still haven't got over that have you?I'm sure you could understand it if you looked at a map.Can you get out of your front door without sat-nav?Perhaps you should take a holiday to Turkey and the locals could show you the border.
Sits back and waits for the usual 'Your punctuation is worse than a year one child and I'm going to thcream and thcream until you say the BBC is wonderful and you are all racists and nazis :tantrum:'.

Your second paragraph means nothing to me. The first is odd. If you are still claiming that it is correct to say that the EU border may move from Greece to Syria then I have to say you are talking utter gibberish. The Senior Propagandists of the Leave campaign should have said that it may move from Greece to Turkey but, no, they couldn't resist throwing a warzone into the equation. They probably thought that some poor saps would believe them. Difficult to comprehend, but yes, they really did think that people would believe them. Can you credit it?

(Incidentally, it was wrong even to say that Turkey was set to join the EU but that's another story.)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What is it actually like on your planet? I'd love to know.

In the meantime, the data shows that while we are growing, comparative to other economies, we are under-performing.

How can an avid Remainer that I presume was an advocate of 'project fear' conclude that currently our economy is under-performing, comparatively you must be in utter shock at its resilience.

It is a desperate attempt for anyone to cite one quarters growth against other EU member states as a reliable indicator no matter which way it swings (unless its the extremes of recession or boom), a longer set of data is bound to give a clearer trend.

If you currently choose this particular short term data as your own personal indicator of Brexit, I can only guess this wasnt used when we were topping the G7 league in Q4 2016.

Although we would all prefer greater growth, to assess the UK's one quarter growth of 0.3% as some clarification of a Brexit induced failure then it's worth noting that in Q2, Belgium @ 0.4%, Italy 0.4%, Denmark 0.5%, France 0.5%, , Portugal 0.2% is hardly an endorsement of the virtues of Remain either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Is Turkey joining the EU?

Just a poster bringing up a bit of an argument from some while back.Turkey was on fast track to join the EU,and it was mentioned that if they joined,then the EU's border would have a war zone on it (Syria).But for some reason best known to himself,he decided that Turkey didn't have a border with Syria,and all Leavers were racist for saying it had.:shrug:.Perhaps he has finally run out of things to whinge about,or is trying to distract attention from the fact he questioned me about another posters question,and hasn't said if he is that poster's alter ego.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If only you numbskulls had taken that tack before you entered the polling station!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Just a poster bringing up a bit of an argument from some while back.Turkey was on fast track to join the EU,and it was mentioned that if they joined,then the EU's border would have a war zone on it (Syria).But for some reason best known to himself,he decided that Turkey didn't have a border with Syria,and all Leavers were racist for saying it had.:shrug:.Perhaps he has finally run out of things to whinge about,or is trying to distract attention from the fact he questioned me about another posters question,and hasn't said if he is that poster's alter ego.

You're either a dribbling idiot or someone making a daft attempt at a wind-up. Perhaps you could tell me where I say that Turkey doesn't have a border with Syria.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
How can an avid Remainer that I presume was an advocate of 'project fear' conclude that currently our economy is under-performing, comparatively you must be in utter shock at its resilience.

It is a desperate attempt for anyone to cite one quarters growth against other EU member states as a reliable indicator no matter which way it swings (unless its the extremes of recession or boom), a longer set of data is bound to give a clearer trend.

If you currently choose this particular short term data as your own personal indicator of Brexit, I can only guess this wasnt used when we were topping the G7 league in Q4 2016.

Although we would all prefer greater growth, to assess the UK's one quarter growth of 0.3% as some clarification of a Brexit induced failure then it's worth noting that in Q2, Belgium @ 0.4%, Italy 0.4%, Denmark 0.5%, France 0.5%, , Portugal 0.2% is hardly an endorsement of the virtues of Remain either.

So for the purpos of this argument did all remain voters believe the economy would crash the day after the vote? Is this the complete opposite of whether people believed the 350 million. I could lost any number of reasons for voting remain. And these are actually real reasons.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So for the purpos of this argument did all remain voters believe the economy would crash the day after the vote? Is this the complete opposite of whether people believed the 350 million. I could lost any number of reasons for voting remain. And these are actually real reasons.

They seemed to on here but have been changing tack like the wind ever since

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
My view - come and chuck this in my face if wrong.

Economy will go to crap when we leave. So far we have been sheltered thanks to the tanking pound and interest rate cut. People have not yet adjusted their spending despite the annual difference between pay rises and inflation being bad. This can only go on for so long before it comes crashing down.

I worry about our crucial public services which rely on skill foreign labour. The applications to work in NHS have nosedived and applications to train as nurses the same. This will come crashing down.

I liked being part of something big and having the option to move around and work where I want. I wanted my kids to share these opportunities. This will have to change.

I liked a peaceful Northern Ireland. Growing up my dad was in the navy and I remember well how he had to conceal all evidence of his job for fear of being a target. Anything that puts this at risk is a bad idea.

I like clean beaches, safe fire proof clothes and household materials and i liked that our government could not do whatever they fancied whether labour or Tory. I liked the checks and balances that kept us centre.

I like that my kids have friends at school from all different background and serveral countries. They are 8,7 and 7 and they understand many different cultures from Europe and further afield. His best friend at school is a Slovakian lad whose parents have faced some terrible abuse since the vote which they never heard pre vote. The geek chap from work says the same. Him and his wife want to start a family but can't be sure re their rights so don't want to risk it.

I could go on and on. So many of these things have nothing to do with the economy.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So for the purpos of this argument did all remain voters believe the economy would crash the day after the vote? Is this the complete opposite of whether people believed the 350 million..

Remainers are the ones that believed the country would allocate to the NHS more than we actually paid to The EU.(they still believe in the figures and bang on about it all the time) Remainers must have believed therefore that £0.00 was available to give to other funding after we Leave. They are clearly a bit gullible so yes its more than likely they believed the untrue scare stories that the economy would crash immediately.

Have you found that mechanism yet that can control the numbers of EU nationals(workers and non workers) from entering the country in the first place, like you claim we don’t bother using, you went a bit quiet on that …..yet again.
Think I will have to put you down as talking out of your arse, or the simplified version….. a liar.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I believe everyone with a deep distrust of foreigners argues against the EU. Would that be fair? If it is then it is just a question of "how many". Estimates vary is about all one could say.

Of course thats fair, who would think anything different
The chap from Lincoln though believes most people arguing against The EU have a deep distrust of foreigners...

They are very different statements.
One refers to the viewpoints of established bigots and one says most people are bigots anyway........the latter version is in itself a bigoted viewpoint

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More softening of Brexit in the latest papers the government have published and totally contradicts what Theresa May said in January. Strong and Stable.....lol. Arse and elbow more like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here