Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Whether the predictions come to pass or not is a guess by whoever makes it, but can we agree that there is a risk? Not being in the Euro also had risks attached, there was a long court case with the ECB who wanted all Euro denominated clearing to take place inside the Euro zone, the UK successfully argued against that at the EU general court.
There are definitely some in Europe who see financial services as a prize that is up for grabs.

Yes of course there is risk, there are risks within and outside the EU thats life, but at least acknowledge perhaps some opportunities as well, I was willing to accept having the Euro, I listened and listened and I was being told increased propserity if we joined and a missed opportunity if we didnt with the inevitable sanctions and penalties.

I was ready, I didnt even need to keep the Queens head on the notes, just let me have a slice of this propserity for me and my family, they wheeled out business leaders, big hitting politicians and experts, yes experts to convince me that the Euro was for us all and in the anti camp was the uneasy on the eye politician John Redwood, who articulated the reason why it was an incapatible political project and not to be in the interest of the UK and possibly the EU too, I couldnt be sure what did I know, but I soon found out that Redwood was clever and the others were'nt.

Yet still those business leaders, politicians and experts were wheeled out yet again for the referendum debates and still find a voice today for Remain long after the Brexit vote, to me they are charlatans, snake oil salesman without sense of their own past failings, I am no longer interested in future forecasts from Remainers and their undetermined risks.

larus

So it looks like May will announce Tuesday that she is open to leaving the customs union.

In her speech, Mrs May is expected to say that Britain must

Be prepared to leave the customs union to secure free trade deals across the world.

Regain full control of its borders even if that means ending single market membership.

No longer be bound by European Court of Justice rulings after Brexit, despite claims to the contrary.

Unite after the “division” of the referendum by ditching the terms “Leaver” and “Remainer”.

She is expected to discuss whether Britain will remain in the European single market, which allows free trade across the bloc, and customs union, which lets goods move across borders without customs checks.

Numerous government sources have told this newspaper that Mrs May will indicate Britain is prepared to be outside both, while seeking to replicate elements of the arrangements in a bespoke deal.

Earlier this week the Prime Minister said she wanted to sign a free trade deal with New Zealand and there are hopes for a similar agreement with America, India and many other countries.

“If you want to sign those kind of deals as soon as possible you can’t be in the customs union,” a Whitehall source said. The customs union effectively forbids countries from signing their own trade deals.

This is more like it. Brexit means no ECJ and and end to Open Borders. Note : this is not an end to immigration and not an end to trading with Europe as some people seem to think.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There is if you pretend to be an impartial immigration watchdog, and then cherry pick only the evidence that shows negative impacts of immigration while completely ignoring any research that shows any neutral or even positive effects of it.

They clearly have an agenda (balanced immigration) but they have provided useful factual counter-arguments to the immigration is always wonderful/positive/beneficial line believed and continuously peddled by some people. They also analyse research from many different sources including studies showing supposed neutral or beneficial effects. They have also successfully sued people who tried to make out they were right wing nutjobs.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So it looks like May will announce Tuesday that she is open to leaving the customs union.

In her speech, Mrs May is expected to say that Britain must

Be prepared to leave the customs union to secure free trade deals across the world.

Regain full control of its borders even if that means ending single market membership.

No longer be bound by European Court of Justice rulings after Brexit, despite claims to the contrary.

Unite after the “division” of the referendum by ditching the terms “Leaver” and “Remainer”.

She is expected to discuss whether Britain will remain in the European single market, which allows free trade across the bloc, and customs union, which lets goods move across borders without customs checks.

Numerous government sources have told this newspaper that Mrs May will indicate Britain is prepared to be outside both, while seeking to replicate elements of the arrangements in a bespoke deal.

Earlier this week the Prime Minister said she wanted to sign a free trade deal with New Zealand and there are hopes for a similar agreement with America, India and many other countries.

“If you want to sign those kind of deals as soon as possible you can’t be in the customs union,” a Whitehall source said. The customs union effectively forbids countries from signing their own trade deals.

This is more like it. Brexit means no ECJ and and end to Open Borders. Note : this is not an end to immigration and not an end to trading with Europe as some people seem to think.

Much in line with what she said in her conference speech last year so no real suprises, except for the markets and some hardcore remai... sorry I forgot. Time to drop the divisive labelling.

:angel:

larus

Much in line with what she said in her conference speech last year so no real suprises, except for the markets and some hardcore remai... sorry I forgot. Time to drop the divisive labelling.

:angel:

I really don't see how anyone can seriously expect us to have

1. Control of our borders (which everyone must agree was a major point of the Brexit case)
and
2. Remain (sorry - my bad) in the customs union which insists of Free Movement.

Something has to give. Either we leave the EU, accept Free Movement or the EU bands its rules.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

It also means everyone being less wealthy, but that;s what you voted for

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I really don't see how anyone can seriously expect us to have

1. Control of our borders (which everyone must agree was a major point of the Brexit case)
and
2. Remain (sorry - my bad) in the customs union which insists of Free Movement.

Something has to give. Either we leave the EU, accept Free Movement or the EU bands its rules.

3. Regain primacy of UK law and ending ECJ jurisdiction while retaining Single Market membership

4. Making our own trade deals and staying in the customs union

I don't think anyone who was serious or respected the referendum result would.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They're described as "a right wing pressure group" on their Wikipedia page I think.
Why use wiki (it's not 'their' site on there anyway) when they have their own website? On their website they describe themselves as politically neutral.

And if you read the wiki entry more carefully, you'd see your response was at best economical with the truth -

"MigrationWatch UK is an immigration and asylum research organisation and think-tank, which describes itself as independent and non-political, but which has been characterised by some commentators and academics as a right-wing pressure group".

Doubtless those commentators and academics (aka experts) who are fervently pro-immigration, and probably staunch supporters of the remain campaign!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Given he was born in 1948 when Cyprus was Cyprus and not split between Republic of Crypus and northern Cyprus who knows.
Or is he a British subject given he was born before independence.
If Brirish then the historicname has no relevence

You asked a.stupid question and looked a.pillock , I'd leave it if I were you

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Difficult is an understatement, and belies your lack of understanding of the financial services industry and the associated markets.

One of the critical reasons that the UK is a global financial hub is the legal system, which is based on common law. The UK legal system is trusted and is aligned with the US common law. Common law is the underlying law in all the major global financial markets and sets the legal framework for the governance of companies. This legal system is trusted and desired, its why many global companies list on the stock markets, in those countries, principally NY, HK and LON.

The legal system in Europe is not, it does not come close..........notwithstanding the technical architecture they could not produce a credible legal system. You are on the losing side on this one (again).

Give up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law

All well and good but don't we already own the London Stock Exchange?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ge-with-german-rival-to-create-european-titan

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Submitted to the Dail Mail and comment of the day

IMG_20170115_140528.jpg

larus

All well and good but don't we already own the London Stock Exchange?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ge-with-german-rival-to-create-european-titan

No, we don't. Germany does though. Maybe you shouldn't be commenting on a thread about Brexit if you consider yourself German :).

However, buying a company is not that same as having the infrastructure to run that from another place. What if a UK company bought the Japanese Rail Network - does that mean that it would be relocated here?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well I was going to suggest a truce,and in a true spirit of reconciliation,start calling the LOSERS runners-up.After reading that,obviously posted by some cleverer-than-thou,up-his-or-her-orifice,oxygen thief, they can do one.I hope they all sink in the corrupt cess-pit of MIFID 2(Return of the ECtopus).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well I was going to suggest a truce,and in a true spirit of reconciliation,start calling the LOSERS runners-up.After reading that,obviously posted by some cleverer-than-thou,up-his-or-her-orifice,oxygen thief, they can do one.I hope they all sink in the corrupt cess-pit of MIFID 2(Return of the ECtopus).

I see you have decided to fully support the wishes of Mrs May already and are right behind her desire that 'the victors have the responsibility to act magnanimously'

It must be a proud day in your household.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here