Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The EU are simply being obstructive
If I go and live and work in the USA I don’t expect to be covered by British Law and for it to take precedence over US law for my personal benefit. I adhere to the laws of the land. Do Europeans travel to live all over the world and expect the ECJ to be tucked in their back pocket? I don’t believe they think they are that self entitled.
And why is he moaning that “Britain could simply change its laws later, creating uncertainty”
Of course we can change our laws, that’s what democratic countries do. We will be able to do more of it when we are out as well.
I do like it though when Barnier says a free trade agreement will be negotiated, just wish it was reported more and highlighted more, it might calm down some of the ultras who seem close to self combustion.

A free trade agreement is available but don't expect it for free just because we've got the Queen

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
People voted for Brexit for all sorts of reasons, some of them terrible.

Yours sincerely, Hypocritical Moron or something.

But i don’t believe that most of them who were voting or arguing against the EU though were using it as a cover because they simply have a deep distrust of foreigners as you like to claim

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just a cunning plan to do what is best for the country, or are you fearful utopia doesn't exist after all?

When parliament voted only a few weeks ago to not have a second referendum some argued in the chamber that not only was it undemocratic to do it all over again but it was also not in the best interests of the country either. Seems democracy has a cunning plan as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just a cunning plan to do what is best for the country, or are you fearful utopia doesn't exist after all?

A cunning plan to try to satisfy the 80% of Westminster luvvies who are fanatical Europhiles lock, stock and barrel, perhaps. When you've got a chance of getting on it, a gravy train is hard to resist.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Only people getting their knickers in a twist are brexiteers seeing their dream starting to fall apart and freaking out at the very mention of a second referendum
Don't know why. Acknowledgement of reality I'm guessing and a realisation that the government is incompetent

BTW I do not loathe myself or country. I've served it. Your contribution?

Keep your hair on Dave, are you on drugs? Something seems to be stopping you understanding what is written.
I simply said I could imagine self loathers being upset if someone said “ we have got our sovereignty back”. I presume you dont get upset like a child if you ever hear anyone say it, therefore it doesn’t apply to you, no need to be so defensive all of a sudden.
No one has accused you of loathing your country. Stop being such a drama queen and inventing your own little victim card, now thats cleared up you can readjust your panties now, and calm yourself down.
I just saw the news 5 minutes ago……no dreams are falling apart,nothing on it at all about remaining in The EU, you seem to have imagined it…….we are still leaving…….happy days.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I just saw the news 5 minutes ago……no dreams are falling apart,nothing on it at all about remaining in The EU, you seem to have imagined it…….we are still leaving…….happy days.

You might want to look a bit further afield than The Express and The Sun for your "news".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So imports of carrots, onions, potatoes [sic], cheddar, bacon and butter will be levied under WTO rules increasing their costs to consumers. As I don't purchase any of these imports this is not a problem for me. In fact, this could be good news for UK producers and more environmentally friendly. CAP and EU tarriffs already inflate prices and do little for food quality. We might even use the opportunity to develop more favourable terms with African producers and real trade-not-aid. I would expect a short-term rise in food prices while we seek better terms with other countries. Bit of a non-story this one.

it entirely ignores the option of no tariffs. we dont have to apply tariffs. tariffs are a tool of protectionism and those that advocate leaving the EU to gain a more free market also advocate removal of tariffs.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A cunning plan to try to satisfy the 80% of Westminster luvvies who are fanatical Europhiles lock, stock and barrel, perhaps. When you've got a chance of getting on it, a gravy train is hard to resist.

Ratification vote from the public not parliament. We've gone down the pleb route, let the people have the final say. If its a good deal and I'm sure it will be with our skilled band of negotiators, I'll go for it

Anyway back to the grind, bring on the Great Repeal Bill. First amendment please..

We'll start with Incorporating the European Charter of Fundamental Rights into UK law; we need to limit the scope of so-called “Henry VIII powers”, unless as we want to allow the governments to alter legislation with minimal parliamentary scrutiny.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Keep your hair on Dave, are you on drugs? Something seems to be stopping you understanding what is written.
I simply said I could imagine self loathers being upset if someone said “ we have got our sovereignty back”. I presume you dont get upset like a child if you ever hear anyone say it, therefore it doesn’t apply to you, no need to be so defensive all of a sudden.
No one has accused you of loathing your country. Stop being such a drama queen and inventing your own little victim card, now thats cleared up you can readjust your panties now, and calm yourself down.

Im fine. Im not being defensive, im not getting my knickers in a twist. Im not a self loather... whatever the feck that is. Some ridiculous term made up by people like you. Yes im sure we will leave. Its the terms we leave, and the damage to the country that is the issue.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why expose what your opening gambits are. I'm glad your not a union negotiater as you would blub out all the terms we want months before we would need too and lose what edge we have

This has long been a defence of leave voters. It really does show an utter ignorance of how negotiations work. For a start, the EU will already have an excellent idea of what we will be asking for and how we will attempt to get it. Do you honestly think they are sitting in the EP gnawing their thumbs and sweating over what May will try to bring to the table? They will have every angle already figured out.
May spouting empty rhetoric such as "we are going to be tough and get the deal we want" really does us no favours at all. Laughable.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Im fine. Im not being defensive, im not getting my knickers in a twist. Im not a self loather... whatever the feck that is. Some ridiculous term made up by people like you. Yes im sure we will leave. Its the terms we leave, and the damage to the country that is the issue.

I wouldn't bother defending yourself to Pasta. Look at his posts, he has spent months on here telling anyone that doesn't agree with him that they are wetting themselves. He hasn't no valid points. He's a spent force on this topic.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Do we have a list of areas where potentially huge issues have been raised and people expect being proud to be British solves them?

So far we have

Big pharma saying effect on life saving drugs http://www.abpi.org.uk/media-centre...nt_Association_Pharma_Letter_12_July_2017.pdf
Irish border
Border controls for good in Dover
Euratom
Airlines
Food
Agriculture
Financial transactions

What else will be solved by buying a bulldog and getting a union flag tattoo on my chest?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The day famously upset some people, perhaps including you. Was it V-signs and things?

I don't like people who promote drug abuse,anyway.His foul and abusive language in front of small children that day marks him down as thinking he is above morality,as well as his famously quoted 'I am above the law'.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Do we have a list of areas where potentially huge issues have been raised and people expect being proud to be British solves them?

So far we have

Big pharma saying effect on life saving drugs http://www.abpi.org.uk/media-centre...nt_Association_Pharma_Letter_12_July_2017.pdf
Irish border
Border controls for good in Dover
Euratom
Airlines
Food
Agriculture
Financial transactions

What else will be solved by buying a bulldog and getting a union flag tattoo on my chest?

Perhaps you could have a brain cell tattoo,as well,to make you a bit more than a half-wit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
it entirely ignores the option of no tariffs. we dont have to apply tariffs. tariffs are a tool of protectionism and those that advocate leaving the EU to gain a more free market also advocate removal of tariffs.

If you are advocating the general withdrawal of tariffs you might like to bear in mind the views of leading Leave campaigner, Cardiff academic and member of Economists for Brexit Prof Patrick Minford who has pointed out that doing so risks the 'possible elimination of British manufacturing'. Agriculture might take a similar hit. Minford said that this should not concern us. It doesn't seem to concern you and, as you say, 'those that advocate leaving the EU'.

It may well concern people who work in British manufacturing of course.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you are advocating the general withdrawal of tariffs you might like to bear in mind the views of leading Leave campaigner, Cardiff academic and member of Economists for Brexit Prof Patrick Minford who has pointed out that doing so risks the 'possible elimination of British manufacturing'. Agriculture might take a similar hit. Minford said that this should not concern us. It doesn't seem to concern you and, as you say, 'those that advocate leaving the EU'.

It may well concern people who work in British manufacturing of course.

Only a million jobs in automotive manufacturing. Have we still got the old molds for the Austin Metro?

D

Deleted member 22389

Only a million jobs in automotive manufacturing. Have we still got the old molds for the Austin Metro?

There are other jobs in manufacturing, but still keep harping back to the automotive industry and brexit. Ever worked in manufacturing before?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Top European trade chief, Hungarian foreign minister Péter Szijjártó, admits the EU is in a “very, very unfavourable position” and will be forced to agree a mutually beneficial Brexit deal with Britain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here