Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That's bollox I - and many other leavers (including some I know personally) - voted leave knowing full well it was a lie, almost as big a lie as, or at least equal to, Project Fear. Do you seriously think that remainers are the only people who have a built-in lie detector? - very naïve if you do.

Your tone suggests you think it was me who said that the £350m lie clinched victory for the Leave campaign. It wasn't. It was the director of the Leave campaign. I am surprised that you feel you know more about the Leave campaign than he does. Perhaps you should drop him a note sorting him out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In a few years we will have an immigration system fit for purpose again. It is one of the main reason why I voted leave.

We will just exchange nationals from the EU to nations we want trade deals with.

India have already told us what they want.

Well, quite.

I'd imagine the chap (he knows ALL about immigration, as he lived in Luton, you know?) above is going to be VERY disappointed in the next few years, when immigration simply changes skin tone, rather than dropping in numbers.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory. I accept that to leave is the default position and I understand why you want the 23 June vote preserved in aspic but to me it seems reasonable to take heed of changes in the public mood should they happen.

There were lies told on both sides.
Most people voting Leave did so for reasons other than a vacuous promise to spend all £350m saved on extra funding for the NHS.

I can only repeat that it was the view of the Leave campaign's director that this lie tipped his campaign over the line. I am sure you know a lot about the campaign as it affected you but I'm also certain that Dominic Cummins has a wider and deeper knowledge of the subject.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, quite.

I'd imagine the chap (he knows ALL about immigration, as he lived in Luton, you know?) above is going to be VERY disappointed in the next few years, when immigration simply changes skin tone, rather than dropping in numbers.

Quite. Immigration is NECESSARY. The hilarious irony being that now, we're simply going to get more non-EU immigrants.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It is indeed over simplification BUT it was a simplification that was used for years by the main parties towards those of us that wanted out of the EU. They kept saying well vote for an anti-EU party - problem being that all the main parties that would ever have a chance of a sniff of power had exactly the same pro-EU policies so I might as well have voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party for all the good it would do my belief in getting out of the EU.

Fair point.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
For some reason, some remainers seem to believe they know what other people were thinking. They actually believe we voted for the £350M a day (or whatever the fictional figure was) for the NHS!

Oh lor. How many times must it be pointed out that it was not a remainer who said that the £350m lie tipped the result in favour of Leave. It was the director of the Leave campaign. Please note: Dominic Cummins is not a remainer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

He is not alone, I have older members of my own family pumped on on Daily Express propaganda a year ago that are now taking a more humble tone and admitting to were duped (though yesterday - we literally were)

At least now the governments wings have been clipped and hopefully we will get a fairer Brexit that better reflects the views of the nation, not just that of the right wing hard line Brexiteers

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quite. Immigration is NECESSARY. The hilarious irony being that now, we're simply going to get more non-EU immigrants.

The even more hilarious factor is we already have more non-EU immigrants than EU, even before the vote.

Immigration is necessary, esp in agriculture, today's students are too posh or too soft to pick

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well, quite.

Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nigeria, India - The Commonwealth is full of people who'd love to move here given the chance. Just like all 80 Million Turks were who were all heading for a Job Centre Plus near you, when they joined The EU.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Yes. We voted for that. See under "Control of our borders".

So from your response to my previous post, you don't think it is going to cost anything to customs check every vehicle that comes in to the country? And "control of our borders" is about Border Police as well.

It is not a Leave/Remain argument to make a point like this. It is just a statement of fact.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So from your response to my previous post, you don't think it is going to cost anything to customs check every vehicle that comes in to the country? And "control of our borders" is about Border Police as well.

It is not a Leave/Remain argument to make a point like this. It is just a statement of fact.

300 Million+ potential checks a year just at Dover alone I read. Welcome to Kent, the Garden of England and permanent home to Operation Stack.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No, not at all. My family name is Feiler. Im from a Jewish family. What is anti semitic about it? The truth?

So were Leon Trotsky and Karl Marx,so what?Perhaps you belong to the Livingstone school?Anti-Zionist,pretending not to be anti-semitic?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
To be honest, I don't know enough about the career of either of them to comment properly, but would probably rate them closer to Mandela than Farage.

I don't think there is mush doubt that Apartheid was/is wrong.

Israeli freedom fighters/terrorists were fighting for their own state, but what has resulted from it over the years is the current Israeli/Palestinian situation. I don't know enough about the stances of individuals within that to approve or disapprove of them.

The view of Farage is one formed from my own interest in politics in my own country over the years, and actually having come across him a couple of times in the region for which he is an MEP. I can justify my view on him - certainly to myself.

When did Mandela live here,then?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
WE ARE STILL LEAVING!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::O:O:O:O:O:O

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Seeing as there's not time to negotiate within the specified time I gather there may be a forced UK 2nd referendum as part of the negotiations. The Tories will easily pander to it. It will appease the government and about 70% of the public second time round.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So were Leon Trotsky and Karl Marx,so what?Perhaps you belong to the Livingstone school?Anti-Zionist,pretending not to be anti-semitic?

Facinating. Would you like to return to the question. What was anti semitic about Begin, and Shameer being from Poland, and Russia, in Palestine, fighting Palestinians, not being a good comparison to Mandela.
Im not pretending to be anything. I come from a Jewish family. I have no issues with Jews, or any other faith for that matter. If I did, then yes, you could say anti semitic, but yet again, you let your user name down with stupidity.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here