Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder what will happen when this all turns to shit ?

I'm sure [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] and co will still be saying we have our country back.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I suppose that if the Scots did go it would be technically incorrect for the country to ever describe itself as Great Britain. It would have to be UK on Olympic shirts in future. It is an interesting irony that centuries of regarding Great Britain as a proud nation would be brought to an end with huge help from the flag-wavers of the Leave campaign.

Why should we not be Great Britain?It was a name bestowed on us by the Roman Empire,and they built a wall to keep the barbarians out.Hadrian mean anything to you?:lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I've known people working in oil exploration since the 1960's.I can also read.When are you going to start reading something factual?'Your lot'-the whinge about anything brigade.

I spoke to my nephew last night ,he works on the rigs, he said there's a lot of excitement in the industry about this find.

I'm all for fracking, can't see how we can keep up with our energy needs any other way

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Why should we not be Great Britain?It was a name bestowed on us by the Roman Empire,and they built a wall to keep the barbarians out.Hadrian mean anything to you?:lolol:

I thought it was an ancient Greek academic that first used the term 'Great' Britain to differentiate this island from the smaller one to west? The Romans just used the term 'Britain' for their territory here after the conquest, as far as I know. .

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I spoke to my nephew last night ,he works on the rigs, he said there's a lot of excitement in the industry about this find.

Well,as much of the industry is left!They still have to sell any they get ashore in an ever declining market,especially now the USA will be getting close to self-sufficiency with the neutering of the EPA.Unless a major war breaks out between the Sunni and the Shia,the North Sea is pretty much a busted flush.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Helped by all the Commonwealth citizens we appealed to, to help us rebuild a post war Britain. They turned up in their droves to do the jobs, nobody else wanted to do, but once done, we then turned against them.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Commonwealth citizens may have been here in the period up to the 1970s (when you say we 'turned against them') but it was that very period which saw our growth languishing far behind mainland countries such as France and Germany. Growth really got going when we joined the union. Are you saying it was the Commonwealth citizens that held us back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That would be reason enough to hammer us I would imagine.

Exactly what I was thinking. That wasn't the smartest comment from [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION].

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I thought it was an ancient Greek academic that first used the term 'Great' Britain to differentiate this island from the smaller one to west? The Romans just used the term 'Britain' for their territory here after the conquest, as far as I know. .

Well the Romans must have discovered this ancient greek academic (presumably teaching at the University of Sussex) and translated the name into Latin.If you look at maps from that period,Brittany is Brittania Minor,and Great Britain is Brittania Major.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sure [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] and co will still be saying we have our country back.

He was saying yesterday he wants immigration tightening but already this almost certainly looks like it's not going to happen. Officially, the government is sticking to its ambition to get net migration down to the tens of thousands. But on the BBC’s Question Time on Monday night, David Davis said immigration levels will not come down consistently after Britain leaves the EU. The Brexit secretary admitted some UK industries “depend on migrants” and that means inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall.

Still, the penny appears to have finally dropped with the British government - that the EU holds all the aces, and it is not in their interests to give us a favourable deal. Whatever happens, we will be worse off under Brexit. Hopefully the British electorate will never forgive the Tories for this absolute mess, even the people who voted for Brexit and end up looking for someone to blame.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Exactly what I was thinking. That wasn't the smartest comment from [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION].
My opinion, which is why I am glad we are getting out. Obviously you will view it differently on account of your location.
I wonder how the other countries will feel taking up the slack caused by the UK not throwing cash in. As we know the UK gets nowhere near the amount back that they put in.
Or will Germany put in the shortfall.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You make it sound like a referendum vote is a foregone conclusion,How did that work out for Remain?

I don't think I did, and I am sure the SNP would not be complacent about it's chances of winning.
I did make it sound like the UK actually leaving the EU was a foregone conclusion though, and I should not assume that we will actually get to the end of Brexit and leave, there is a long way to go and the reality of it will begin to bite.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The Commonwealth citizens may have been here in the period up to the 1970s (when you say we 'turned against them') but it was that very period which saw our growth languishing far behind mainland countries such as France and Germany. Growth really got going when we joined the union. Are you saying it was the Commonwealth citizens that held us back?

I interrupted the post by [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] and reference to 'turned against' Commonwealth citizens as being to emergence of The NF, Enoch Powell et al from the late 1960's onwards.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The fact that geographic name for the island our nation occupies is Great Britain but if the Scots leave we will only occupy part of it mean anything to you?

Perhaps we could change our name to "QuiteALotofGreatBritain" although it wouldn't look very good on an Olympic vest. "The United Kingdom of England, Wales and just for the moment a bit of Ireland" would be even clunkier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here