Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
:lolol:

That is typical Westminster.Putting a clown that even Corbyn sacked in charge of a Brexit comittee,then he tries to railroad something through without consultation.

I think plenty of people would disagree with your description of Hilary Benn as "a clown that even Corbyn sacked!"

They might even think he would be a better leader than Corbyn...... now there's controversial.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sorry, genuine question, and sorry if you've already stated, but why do you want to leave the Single Market with the advantages we get from tax free trade and our largest customer with the potential that a trade tax could be put in place making our exports more expensive and less appealing and out imports also more expensive (the fall in Sterling is doing a great job at that already) causing our own inflation to rise even more?

That's ok, I have stated it before, but seeing as you missed it.
"making our own rules on business deals, ie tariffs which currently as part of the EU customs union stops the UK being able to do its own trade deals with other countries".
Obviously at the moment our hands are tied which contributes to the points made in your post.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you really think its normal to expect a committee to vote on and agree to a report they haven't seen? i wonder if the "walk out" is just dramatic license for adjournment.

No. But I don't expect MPs to just walk out. It's taking the piss out of the tax payer......but then again they are arrogant Tories so should I expect anything different?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
so what that article is saying is, should a situation occur that discriminates rights before and after a date, they will veto that deal leaving all EU citizen with no rights? does this sound to you like real or imaginary, sabre rattling policy?

What the article is saying is that there's a fair amount of disagreement on major issues but we're to forge ahead regardless.

Yoda

English & European
I wanted out but Brexit has turned half our country rabid whichever side they are on.

yoda-on-the-head-you-have-hit-the-nail.jpg

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Sorry, genuine question, and sorry if you've already stated, but why do you want to leave the Single Market with the advantages we get from tax free trade and our largest customer with the potential that a trade tax could be put in place making our exports more expensive and less appealing and out imports also more expensive (the fall in Sterling is doing a great job at that already) causing our own inflation to rise even more?

I had a conversation like this recently with a colleague of mine and his response was something like this public policy bolg he does here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/publicpolicy/what-we-do/blogs/viewsoneurope/voe40-werner.page

"The conclusion is unambiguous: it makes no difference to economic growth. Economic growth is almost entirely determined by factors and policies that are decided at home (namely the amount of bank credit created for productive purposes - sadly very small in the UK in recent decades, thus much greater economic growth is possible as soon as steps are taken to boost it). Remember that a smaller economy like Norway fared extremely well after its people rejected EU membership in a referendum in 1995 - against the dire warnings and threats from its cross-party elites and the united chorus of the heads of international organisations. Besides, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China never needed EU membership to move from developing country status to top industrialised nations within decades."

Now I don't know the author very well but he doesn't strike me as a narrow minded, ill-educated racist. Of course, other views are available.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So a question for the Remainers.
Why should the Leave voters take any notice of your "predictions", when we had months of you harping on about this "expert" said this and that, only to find out that the end of the UK was not nigh.
The "experts" changed their tune, so you now target more doom.
Why should we take any notice of you posters that were so gullible pre and post referendum.

One man's gullible is another man's realist.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. But I don't expect MPs to just walk out. It's taking the piss out of the tax payer......but then again they are arrogant Tories so should I expect anything different?

methinks you are allowing prejudice to blind rational thought. you're simply accepting on face value the negative report, it doesn't even say who left, or what reasons, or if its unusual.

What the article is saying is that there's a fair amount of disagreement on major issues but we're to forge ahead regardless.

an understatment, however similar to the leave campaigns statement of "vote leave means leaving", the EU has point blank refuse any discussion prior to the formal negotiation process. we can look forward to alot of this, there is more disagreement across EU than they or the Remain friendly media would like to project. example, one story doing the rounds is that Ireland might decide to leave too, as their economy is so entwined with the UK. far fetched, but the fact that its even being credibly suggested. its going to be a long couple of years (though too short really to do what needs to be done).

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think plenty of people would disagree with your description of Hilary Benn as "a clown that even Corbyn sacked!"

They might even think he would be a better leader than Corbyn...... now there's controversial.

No,No,No.Corbyn is superb,Benn isn't fit to tie Jeremy's laces.Jezza should be first in his dynasty,following the glorious principles of Kim.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fair enough, obviously the tune changed when the Remainers realised that the prophecies stated would happen straight away, were not going to happen.
So we have a new timetable now.
So why should we believe this new target.

If you go back, on this thread to when the campaign was at it's height, some of us remoaners(great word) were saying that the remain efforts were pathetic, and that nobody could know the full effect of leaving for a good while after exit, so, I'm not being wise after the event..
Already, the pound has lost value against major currencies, inflation is up,and large firms are exploring their options, with a view to leaving the U.K. Now, I don't know if this is all the Brexit effect, but, we have chosen by a majority to leave one of the largest, and richest trading blocks on the planet, with no new deals as yet sorted out,and a Government that doesn't inspire confidence , you can't blame some of us for being a tad pessimistic

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
That's ok, I have stated it before, but seeing as you missed it.
"making our own rules on business deals, ie tariffs which currently as part of the EU customs union stops the UK being able to do its own trade deals with other countries".
Obviously at the moment our hands are tied which contributes to the points made in your post.

And when we leave the EU on WTO tariffs, combined with the length of time to secure other trade deals around the world, Woops you've ignored the downside again, but nothing new there.

Spot on again, eh :lol:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you go back, on this thread to when the campaign was at it's height, some of us remoaners(great word) were saying that the remain efforts were pathetic, and that nobody could know the full effect of leaving for a good while after exit, so, I'm not being wise after the event..
Already, the pound has lost value against major currencies, inflation is up,and large firms are exploring their options, with a view to leaving the U.K. Now, I don't know if this is all the Brexit effect, but, we have chosen by a majority to leave one of the largest, and richest trading blocks on the planet, with no new deals as yet sorted out,and a Government that doesn't inspire confidence , you can't blame some of us for being a tad pessimistic

Fair enough. Different opinions, we shall see.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I had a conversation like this recently with a colleague of mine and his response was something like this public policy bolg he does here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/publicpolicy/what-we-do/blogs/viewsoneurope/voe40-werner.page

"The conclusion is unambiguous: it makes no difference to economic growth. Economic growth is almost entirely determined by factors and policies that are decided at home (namely the amount of bank credit created for productive purposes - sadly very small in the UK in recent decades, thus much greater economic growth is possible as soon as steps are taken to boost it). Remember that a smaller economy like Norway fared extremely well after its people rejected EU membership in a referendum in 1995 - against the dire warnings and threats from its cross-party elites and the united chorus of the heads of international organisations. Besides, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China never needed EU membership to move from developing country status to top industrialised nations within decades."

Now I don't know the author very well but he doesn't strike me as a narrow minded, ill-educated racist. Of course, other views are available.

Spot on :thumbsup:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will leaving the EU see the death of the Cornish pasty.

They are currently protected by EU legislation which means they can't be produced elsewhere. Presumably this will fall away leaving Cornish pasties to be produced anywhere, or will we introduce high tariffs on imports of foreign made Cornish pasties, leading to a food war with the EU as tariffs are placed on a tit for tat basis on (currently) protected foods.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wise words from London Mayor Sadiq Khan.At least one Remain backer is wise enough to recognise the inevitable!

khan.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Will leaving the EU see the death of the Cornish pasty.

They are currently protected by EU legislation which means they can't be produced elsewhere. Presumably this will fall away leaving Cornish pasties to be produced anywhere, or will we introduce high tariffs on imports of foreign made Cornish pasties, leading to a food war with the EU as tariffs are placed on a tit for tat basis on (currently) protected foods.

Why would someone go to the trouble of exporting cornish-type pasties to this country?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here