Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was reading The Sun today whilst waiting to get my hair cut (I've never bought the Murdoch rag in my life but it was something to do). Anyway came to Kelvin Mac's page, a bit tongue cheek but many Brexiteers probably believe this.....

Post-Brexit Brit cars are promising
HAVING just bought an overpriced but incredibly basic BMW 4 series – for £41,000 you do get a door as standard – I am feeling pretty hostile towards the German car industry.
Brexit gives the UK a golden opportunity to start making our own cars once again.
If the idle, unionised French can produce excellent Renaults and Peugeots then anybody can.

Surely if EU manufacturing leaves the UK we can do a roaring trade in cars – it shouldn’t be difficult to beat lazy French and boring Germans at their game
Remember, these days the unions here only run the railways, so we won’t be producing any more of those disgraceful “Friday nighters” that destroyed our car makers in the Eighties.
If Toyota wants to bugger off from Derby I am sure there’s a clever designer/entrepreneur who can produce a great Britcar from the plant. There’s plenty of opportunity out there.

This

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 201

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was reading The Sun today whilst waiting to get my hair cut (I've never bought the Murdoch rag in my life but it was something to do). Anyway came to Kelvin Mac's page, a bit tongue cheek but many Brexiteers probably believe this.....

HAVING just bought an overpriced but incredibly basic BMW 4 series – for £41,000 you do get a door as standard – I am feeling pretty hostile towards the German car industry.
Brexit gives the UK a golden opportunity to start making our own cars once again.
If the idle, unionised French can produce excellent Renaults and Peugeots then anybody can.

Surely if EU manufacturing leaves the UK we can do a roaring trade in cars – it shouldn’t be difficult to beat lazy French and boring Germans at their game
Remember, these days the unions here only run the railways, so we won’t be producing any more of those disgraceful “Friday nighters” that destroyed our car makers in the Eighties.
If Toyota wants to bugger off from Derby I am sure there’s a clever designer/entrepreneur who can produce a great Britcar from the plant. There’s plenty of opportunity out there.

Too right, the C5 is going back into production

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or this?

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 204

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Well if UKIP are really bashing nasty immigrants,who can really blame them?See that hypocritical Chief Clown of the EU circus is getting confused:

View attachment 83094

He expects everybody to have the right to stay now,when his lot are the ones obstructing it!And if they do stay,according to the geniuses on here,they won't be able to go home on holiday-no flights allowed!:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::rolleyes:

If his lot are the ones obstructing it, why haven't the UK Government taken the first step and legislated for any EU nationals presently here have the right to stay?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If his lot are the ones obstructing it, why haven't the UK Government taken the first step and legislated for any EU nationals presently here have the right to stay?

Because it's easier to blame the EU than own up to your own lack of leadership?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i wonder if he's heard of Land Rover Jaguar. given he over paid for his basic BMW by 10k and thinks the French produce excellent cars shows he clearly knows sweet fa about cars.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Steering clear of Indian companies? :)

probably right, though you'd think as he works for a US owned newspaper he wouldnt be too squimish about ownership, as long as the things are made here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sorry, but that really is a stupid question, and one which has been answered many times already, even if the answer doesn't suit you.

We are happy for the existing EU nationals working here to stay, and welcome - but we also have a duty to our expats. If we just say, all the EU people can stay, that leaves an open goal for the EU, if they want to get nasty, to repatriate all our citizens living abroad (although Spain for one would not be keen on this), so unless the EU comes out and says, fair enough, the status quo will stand for all EU people in the UK and all UK citizens in the EU (which they wouldn't) we cannot unilaterally surrender our side of the bargaining. Simples. But sadly, apparently too difficult for some........................

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sorry, but that really is a stupid question, and one which has been answered many times already, even if the answer doesn't suit you.

We are happy for the existing EU nationals working here to stay, and welcome - but we also have a duty to our expats. If we just say, all the EU people can stay, that leaves an open goal for the EU, if they want to get nasty, to repatriate all our citizens living abroad (although Spain for one would not be keen on this), so unless the EU comes out and says, fair enough, the status quo will stand for all EU people in the UK and all UK citizens in the EU (which they wouldn't) we cannot unilaterally surrender our side of the bargaining. Simples. But sadly, apparently too difficult for some........................

So its not the EU blocking it all as you can just as easily turn it around and say that the EU are not prepared to say UK citizens can stay as they have a duty towards EU nationals in the UK but the UK Government won't legislate on the issue currently and if they guarantee UK citizens can stay the UK will deport EU nationals to please leave voters.

So it's really down to Mrs May playing hard ball.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So its not the EU blocking it all as you can just as easily turn it around and say that the EU are not prepared to say UK citizens can stay as they have a duty towards EU nationals in the UK but the UK Government won't legislate on the issue currently and if they guarantee UK citizens can stay the UK will deport EU nationals to please leave voters.

Angela Merkel says 'nein' to Theresa May's calls for early deal on rights of EU migrants and British ex-pats

Angela Merkel and Donald Tusk on Tuesday united to block Theresa May's attempt to fast-track a deal which would have created an amnesty for British ex-pats and EU migrants in the UK post-Brexit.

Mrs May had proposed that EU workers currently living in the UK be allowed to remain in exchange for an agreement which gives British expats in the European Union the same rights.

She had hoped to announce a deal within weeks but while more than 20 EU nations have signalled they are prepared to agree to a reciprocal arrangement, Mrs Merkel has rebuffed Mrs May's attempts to come to an agreement.

Her position was then backed by the president of the European Council, Mr Tusk...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ritish-voters-backed-brexit-creating-anxiety/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sigh. You really don't understand 'negotiation', do you? I give up (as far as you're concerned).

Go your own way if it makes you happy.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I suppose for some you have to keep repeating this, either because they do not take it in or they prefer to ignore this stance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sigh. You really don't understand 'negotiation', do you? I give up (as far as you're concerned).

Go your own way if it makes you happy.

I understand negotiation. And I also understand that using decent people, their livelihoods and their families as bargaining chips for a deal is below despicable. A strong leader with confidence in their negotiating ability would have immediately stated all UK based EU citizens can stay. Not having the leadership and/or negotiating ability such that you have to use humans as leverage is pretty damn low in anyone's judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here