Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Our governments showing zero support to British manufacturing over the years, mass immigration, cheap goods imported from China, advances in technology, the way we shop looking for the cheapest product, and the 2008 banking crisis have all contributed to the job situation we see today, long before Brexit, and that is the same for every single young person across EU. Just my opinion.

Rubbish. UK youth unemployment is 12.3% and it's just 6.7% in Germany. So it's not the same at all.

D

Deleted member 22389

Rubbish. UK youth unemployment is 12.3% and it's just 6.7% in Germany. So it's not the same at all.

Might not be in Germany, but then in Germany they manufacture more than we do which might explain your figures. Italy and other countries are just as bad or worse for youth unemployment. We can't even manufacture a bit of fing sandpaper in this country. We have Finance, we have the service industry, we just need more manufacturing again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Might not be in Germany, but then in Germany they manufacture more than we do which might explain your figures. Italy and other countries are just as bad or worse for youth unemployment. We can't even manufacture a bit of fing sandpaper in this country. We have Finance, we have the service industry, we just need more manufacturing again.

I totally agree. So why don't you do it? This is a genuine question....why dont successive governments of the U.K. invest in more manufacturing?

D

Deleted member 22389

I totally agree. So why don't you do it? This is a genuine question....why dont successive governments of the U.K. invest in more manufacturing?

Because none of our past and present politicians have the slightest clue how to go about it. Manufacturing jobs would create better employment opportunities for all. It was in the 90's when I was a college when they started selling off the machines and turning the rooms in to new media suites. Happened when I was Brighton College of Technology in Brighton, and over at Northbrook college in Worthing where I was doing evening classes. The same happened in schools. I was lucky enough to get training from the very last of what I would call old school manual machinists.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And I felt the same about those that voted in 1975 - they tried to dictate my future. Regardless, people will still be able to live and work elsewhere - the opportunity isn't being shut - it will be subject to some rules - like it was when I wanted to work in Australia. I was still able and did work in Australia.

It's best for some people below a certain intelligence level that their future is dictated. Look at the almighty mess created when they're give a choice.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Negotiations are going well ...

Divisions over the UK’s Brexit divorce bill were laid bare on Tuesday as British negotiators pushed back against a mooted €75bn (£66bn) Brexit charge.

On the second day of detailed Brexit negotiations, the British team peppered the Brussels side with questions over how to pay for unwinding 44 years of the UK’s European Union membership.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...r-britains-brexit-divorce-bill-mooted-at-66bn

Britain has warned the EU that it could return boatloads of radioactive waste back to the continent if the Brexit talks fail to deliver an agreement on nuclear regulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-radioactive-waste-to-eu-without-nuclear-deal

Oh Jesus facking wept. You think the best start to a negotiation is "we're not paying a penny and if we don't get what we want we'll ship all the radioactive shit back to the mainland".

It's be funny if so much wasn't at stake. This is going very badly indeed.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's best for some people below a certain intelligence level that their future is dictated. Look at the almighty mess created when they're give a choice.

I'm glad we agree. The intelligent have at last managed to fix a mistake the less intelligent ( or gulliable ) made in 1975.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Our governments showing zero support to British manufacturing over the years, mass immigration, cheap goods imported from China, advances in technology, the way we shop looking for the cheapest product, and the 2008 banking crisis have all contributed to the job situation we see today, long before Brexit, and that is the same for every single young person across EU. Just my opinion.

The emphasis on OUR Government. The move away from manufacturing was nothing to do with the EU. Thatcher started it by de regulating the City while at the same time failing to support or actually closing down traditional industries. Globalisation and the internet did the rest. As soon as something can be made cheaper elsewhere it is.

If you think that turning the UK in to some sort of European Singapore but with limited seasonal labour and no trade deals to back sales is going to bring back manufacturing you're sadly mistaken. If negotiations go badly then exports will fall and so will the limited amount of manufacturing jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Because none of our past and present politicians have the slightest clue how to go about it. Manufacturing jobs would create better employment opportunities for all. It was in the 90's when I was a college when they started selling off the machines and turning the rooms in to new media suites. Happened when I was Brighton College of Technology in Brighton, and over at Northbrook college in Worthing where I was doing evening classes. The same happened in schools. I was lucky enough to get training from the very last of what I would call old school manual machinists.

For many years I was involved in Apprentice training for electrical and mechanical engineers the duming down of training and qualifications from the 1980s through to the 2010s was shameful.

Successive governments tried to modernise the curriculum's to better reflect the changing world while at the same time opening up the education providers and awarding bodies to the free market.

The old awarding bodies such as City and Guilds were being replaced by newer more flexible options module based the idea being employers could pick from huge lists subjects to be studied that provided the students with credits towards a recognised qualification and provide employers with skilled craft persons that were tailor made to there requirements.

All good so far but and there is always a but these changes were all taking place a background of other changes:

1. The steady decline in the British manufacturing base.
2. The evolving of Technical colleges and Polytechnics into new universities
3. The need for these new training providers to ensure enough students to maintain income
4. Training providers unable to deliver the vast options the new courses required
5. Training providers opting for courses that provide biggest returns for least investment
6. A national obsession to go to University at any cost when Apprentiships would have been better options
7. A series of government led very lowly paid very poorly delivered 1 year work experiences under the guise of Apprentiships

These changes were not handled very well by governments of all colours, employers were not geeting the qualified staff they needed, colleges stopped providing these courses, Awarding bodies came and went while others continually remodelled themselves.

We have endured a period of 30 years of ever declining quality of the training offered and that of the trainers providing it, no wonder many employers looked to craftsmen from other countries without them our industries would have ground to a halt.

However dispite all of this 30 years on there is some light at the end of the tunnel the much criticised NVQ system and the assessors emploed to monitor it are finally starting to show positive results, Some of the old awarding bodies have managed to modernise such as City and Guilds and agin now offer technical certification of a high standard.

The colleges are variable very variable and their ability to provide the course content changes year on year and the quality of those delivery the training is even more variable and it is here much work still needs to be done if we are to turn this sorry state of affairs round.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I do worry about the bloody difficult woman not being able to get us a deal and as a result then crashing us out without one.

I have more optimism in Davies if his hands arn't too tied, and above all I want a 'jobs first' outcome.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If we end up without any deal I would expect the main causes will either be EU (French) intransigence or the opponents of Brexit in Parliament overplaying their hand.

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
There was a very high level of correlation between education levels and the way you voted in the Referendum - the more educated you were, the more likely you were to have voted Remain.

Yes it was an interesting correlation. One reason why I regularly visit this thread is to try and get my head around the stupidity that must have been involved for someone to actually go into a voting booth and vote to become poorer. I get no perspective talking to the expat community here because we're all graduates (a requirement of Japanese immigration) who have experienced what its like living as a foreigner in an inward looking xenophobic island nation. As such we are all staunch remainers to a man. I actually have a little bit more time for the racists than I do for the demonstrably thick or worse, the ones that actually have a few brain cells but have managed to fill those cells up with misinformation and lies.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If we end up without any deal I would expect the main causes will either be EU (French) intransigence or the opponents of Brexit in Parliament overplaying their hand.

Not the Brexiteers fault and overplaying their hand and assuming everything would be okay and would happen according to them/it wasn't our fault and we would would have gotten away with too if it wasn't for those pesky Johnny Foreigners/remoaners?

I always like to get my excuses in early when I'm wrong about something, good to see you are too finally. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not the Brexiteers fault and overplaying their hand and assuming everything would be okay and would happen according to them/it wasn't our fault and we would would have gotten away with too if it wasn't for those pesky Johnny Foreigners/remoaners?

I always like to get my excuses in early when I'm wrong about something, good to see you are too finally. :thumbsup:

I believe a deal will be done but I am willing to admit I could be wrong and all the Remainers who told me the EU would be completely unreasonable and intransigent to punish us could be right.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Pathetic. We don't know what the deal is yet and already you're blaming foreigners or anti-Brexit MP's. Truly pathetic.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes it was an interesting correlation. One reason why I regularly visit this thread is to try and get my head around the stupidity that must have been involved for someone to actually go into a voting booth and vote to become poorer. I get no perspective talking to the expat community here because we're all graduates (a requirement of Japanese immigration) who have experienced what its like living as a foreigner in an inward looking xenophobic island nation. As such we are all staunch remainers to a man. I actually have a little bit more time for the racists than I do for the demonstrably thick or worse, the ones that actually have a few brain cells but have managed to fill those cells up with misinformation and lies.

You believe Japan to be an inward looking xenophobic nation but choose to live there anyway, and you have time for racists……….and you call us stupid......righto ???

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I'm sorry but how the hell else is anyone supposed to read what you stated. You literally said if a deal fails it will be the fault of EU particularly the French and anti Brexit MP's. That is what you typed, what then did you mean?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here