Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most of you know about my deep love for the citizens of Brexit capital Stoke.... I was made aware of this yesterday http://www.sot2021.com

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always thought 'leave' would win. Trump and Corbyn - no.

There is a flip side because I can remember consistent cake and eat it stances on this thread - if your memory has gone selective, fine.

The Taoiseach said what he said today - interrupt it how you like, but you only have to listen to Johnathan Powell talking consistently on the issue of Northern Ireland to see there needs to be major row backs from the current red-line stance to avoid serious problems there.

The election has backfired spectacularly on the Conservatives and their arrogance has come home to roost and their failings are now all too apparent. The fact that Priti Patel comes out and says the Government's Brexit stance is 'very 'clear' and trots out 'The FOM ending in 2019'.....................it's laughable. If you think it can succeed fine, I see enough non-economic damage being done to believe it never will.

Apart from a few Tories and a handful of other types I cannot think of anyone else who sees a hard Brexit as the way forward. Everyone from the Taoiseach, arts bodies, science bodies, virtually every single industry, business and economic sector and education bodies etc etc have rallied against it.

My take is to stop fighting May and allow her to shape her vision. Those that cannot see the warning signs now will certainly see them in a years time if she's left to it. And then someone else can come along and stop the country from driving over the cliff.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Apart from a few Tories and a handful of other types I cannot think of anyone else who sees a hard Brexit as the way forward.

There's quite a few energetic posters on here want one. One or two call it a real Brexit or something and rather more say we haven't really left the EU unless we have it and anything else would be anti-democratic and an absolute betrayal of the 17 million people who specifically wanted it and anyone who thinks otherwise is a loon, a leftie, a tory or even a shithouse shill.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fact :wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What will they be telling us next? Selfish ***** vote Tory? :lolol:

(Joke-I feel I have to add this caveat these days to stop certain types getting their knickers in a twist)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I would suggest the thickies are the political elites / establishment figures (ie the Nick Cleggs etc) who were passionate for us to remain - but over decades did nothing to address the legitimate concerns of people who wanted to leave, or see significant reform at the very least - inspite of having ample opportunity to do so.

Their inactivity and arrogance is coming home to roost.

Of course, the other group of "thickies" are those who are unhappy with the result but couldn't be arsed to vote :shrug:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You could just as easily say only thickies or very naive stupid people would vote for Corbyn and his extremist lefty Marxist rent a mob. Where in his warped world , money is free for everything and terrorists are really freedom fighters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You could just as easily say only thickies or very naive stupid people would vote for Corbyn and his extremist lefty Marxist rent a mob. Where in his warped world , money is free for everything and terrorists are really freedom fighters

If you have done some extensive research and this was the outcome then yes, yes you could.

I'm guessing you voted Brexit then? :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
in [Corbyn's] warped world , money is free for everything

Everyone knows there's no such thing as a money tree. Well, apart from the evergreen 'Pick off £1billion to buy some DUP votes' cash tree, that one is thriving.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
intelligence.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Bry has this one.

The thickies were the politicians who really did seem to assume Remain was a done deal.

The amount of worst case scenarios that have come out since and were never once mentioned when campaigning is astonishing.
That's before we even get to the nonsense like the bloody bus et al.

They could have picked on any subject and hammered Brexiters into the ground, but instead decided to play nice, I assume because they thought they'd already won.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would suggest the thickies are the political elites / establishment figures (ie the Nick Cleggs etc) who were passionate for us to remain - but over decades did nothing to address the legitimate concerns of people who wanted to leave, or see significant reform at the very least - inspite of having ample opportunity to do so.

Their inactivity and arrogance is coming home to roost.

Of course, the other group of "thickies" are those who are unhappy with the result but couldn't be arsed to vote :shrug:

Now this is a thicky.

An irate local farmer told me he voted to leave as a protest against EU bureaucracy that delayed payments of his subsidies. He thought Defra was an EU department. He didn’t realise it was The Department for Rural Affairs and that the EU had fined our governmental department for its incompetent administration of subsidies

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...bill-white-paper-european-union-a7558886.html

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Those who wanted us to leave and those who wanted significant reform are two separate issues. If you're against the EU, then you're against the EU and nothing's going to change that but various UK governments addressed a lot of British concerns: Thatcher negotiated a refund from our contributions, Major negotiated an opt out from the working hours directive and the Schengen agreement, Blair didn't join the Eurozone and Cameron asked for (and got) concessions on in-work benefits.

It was also the UK who pushed most heavily for EU enlargement (as a means of weakening German dominance) and was a major promoter of qualified majority voting. These two, taken together, are probably the biggest reform of the EU in its history and one instigated very heavily by the UK.

So, people who wanted reform had plenty. I suspect it's the people who wanted out that were the dominant ones though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here