Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Aug 23, 2011
..... and a bigger majority now want the UK government to get on with it. So it played no influence in the result.

That doesn't mean a lot more people agree with it but are bright enough to know that being stuck it no mans land is the worst possible situation. Once they decided to do it, they needed to get on with it. The longer indecision goes on the more harm it causes

Aug 23, 2011
Probably the best thing to do is to outsource it rather than the expense of creating all that for ourselves again. Perhaps we could ask the EU to do it?

The tories love to privatise things, maybe they'll privatise the whole government. China might be interested, they have lots of cash and we need to be trade with them rather than europe.....apparently

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Still at it then.
Virgin employee predicts armageddon in airspace shock-more Branson crap.
Boris didn't draft Article 50 letter-he isn't a lawyer.
Loads moaning about lies on a bus-was it this one?

2.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Probably the best thing to do is to outsource it rather than the expense of creating all that for ourselves again. Perhaps we could ask the EU to do it?

i dont know where the idea has come from that these industry standards bodies, agencies, commissions etc have disappeared. they have spent the past 40 odd year overseeing existing UK laws and regulation, and the integration of EU law into the area of concern.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
That doesn't mean a lot more people agree with it but are bright enough to know that being stuck it no mans land is the worst possible situation. Once they decided to do it, they needed to get on with it. The longer indecision goes on the more harm it causes

You selectively quoted me there.

What I also said was that were was no evidence of any Brexiter regret.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It was an hour after Leave won. It won on lies, we all know that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/

The statement was questioned before, as I know Farage had his own spiteful agenda to push rather than this government one, but there is no way the government owned up before the vote.

They still avoided the question yesterday.
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4NewsDemocracy/videos/1257132887697985/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

I think you are harping on about this a little too much, Labour have been promising extra millions everywhere all the time without much success, there is an undoubted net financial gain back to the UK in terms of our EU contributions, whether this will then go in part to extra funding for the NHS or not I suspect is irrelevant, for most as long as appropriate funding is in place and a good service delivered then to a point who really cares what proportion comes from these savings, but everyone knew that we were contributed billions net and people had a view on that value.

The point remains that we will save £billions on contributions, no doubt you will argue that we might lose more by not being inside the club, I say not, but the plain figures confirm one thing, in 2016 we contributed over £13 billion to the EU budget and in return the EU spends back £4.5 billion still leaving a net contribution of £8.6 billion by the UK, without the rebate it would have been £4 billion more.

Be as imaginative as you like, but there is an obvious real saving on not paying it, the rest is forecast, assumptions and undetermined outcomes.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
at value.

The point remains that we will save £billions on contributions, no doubt you will argue that we might lose more by not being inside the club, I say not, but the plain figures confirm one thing, in 2016 we contributed over £13 billion to the EU budget and in return the EU spends back £4.5 billion still leaving a net contribution of £8.6 billion by the UK, without the rebate it would have been £4 billion more.

And let's not forget Remain's "Armageddon" of "no-deal" where we have to revert to WTO rules. Assuming that's a 10% duty on everything imported from the EU, I make that another £50,000,000,000 (50 billion) each year into the greedy hands of the Exchequer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you are harping on about this a little too much, Labour have been promising extra millions everywhere all the time without much success, there is an undoubted net financial gain back to the UK in terms of our EU contributions, whether this will then go in part to extra funding for the NHS or not I suspect is irrelevant, for most as long as appropriate funding is in place and a good service delivered then to a point who really cares what proportion comes from these savings, but everyone knew that we were contributed billions net and people had a view on that value.

Be as imaginative as you like, but there is an obvious real saving on not paying it, the rest is forecast, assumptions and undetermined outcomes.

You realise we will still contribute a huge amount to our main trading partner, probably more if no deal is done in tariffs, and a deal is likely to maintain a significant contribution. You don't seriously think we're saving that money do you? I've not heard many people supporting Brexit maintaining we're going to be better off, that ship sailed the day after!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You realise we will still contribute a huge amount to our main trading partner, probably more if no deal is done in tariffs, and a deal is likely to maintain a significant contribution. You don't seriously think we're saving that money do you? I've not heard many people supporting Brexit maintaining we're going to be better off, that ship sailed the day after!

Well thats exactly an example of 'forecast, assumptions and undetermined outcomes', might also be worth factoring in our trade deficit with the EU, which would mean in your scenario we might be a net beneficiary of £billions of similar retaliatory tariffs to our imports from the EU, so it doesnt seem an obvious and immediate one way loss, although for me it would be negative outcome for both the EU and the UK.

Can we save money ?

Well as a starting point of being £13 billion ahead with many wider opportunities, I do yes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And let's not forget Remain's "Armageddon" of "no-deal" where we have to revert to WTO rules. Assuming that's a 10% duty on everything imported from the EU, I make that another £50,000,000,000 (50 billion) each year into the greedy hands of the Exchequer.

thats a mighty big assumption when we dont have to apply any import duty under WTO rules, let alone a blanket 10%. why wont people get that :wrong:

supposing that we did, it would promote the consumption of UK sourced products and services, which is so many people want, isn't it? and that figure needs to offset the current import duties from outside the EU (because total imports are are around 500bn, EU is a little under half). so in totality there isn't a £50bn cost, there is an undetermined cost well below £50bn.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well thats exactly an example of 'forecast, assumptions and undetermined outcomes', might also be worth factoring in our trade deficit with the EU, which would mean in your scenario we might be a net beneficiary of £billions of similar retaliatory tariffs to our imports from the EU, so it doesnt seem an obvious and immediate one way loss, although for me it would be negative outcome for both the EU and the UK.

Can we save money ?

Well as a starting point of being £13 billion ahead with many wider opportunities, I do yes.

So by your logic you are assuming the taxes will be paid by the exporters into our exchequer with no change to those export prices? It's not going to hurt our economy at all, just a net benefit to the treasury? I find this train of thought staggering. You're just guessing though, which you are entitled to do, but it is a guess that even 'leave' economists don't appear to be forecasting.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Has Turkey gained EU membership yet? I thought that was imminent

I am not sure thats fair, many EU ministers had indicated that Turkey should be considered for membership and negotiations were ongoing since 2005, so it was on the table.

It could be argued that the Leave campaign who were probably smeared as racist insisting this was a bad move by the EU having foreseen likely incompatible geographic, political and cultural differences showed greater awareness of the situation.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The EU aren't talking to Turkey now, but our Government is sucking up to them and their dictator. You couldn't make this up.

I expect this will be revived if Turkey have any money.
eut.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here