Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Let's wait and see what the PM says in her speech in a week or two. If we don't reach agreement with EU (which is looking increasingly) unlikely then WTO it is. Time will tell.

It would be great if you could supply a list of experts we can believe and those we can't. You seem reliant on the views of economists here but dismissive elsewhere. Odd.

If everyone adopted a wait and see attitude before righting us off and have even half an open mind it would be nice and save all the bickering.

I thought mentioning the experts that Remainers held in such high regard before and during the referendum would provide some possible context to our currency realignment. No idea if they are right or wrong but you guys hang on there every word (when it suits).

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
If everyone adopted a wait and see attitude before righting us off and have even half an open mind it would be nice and save all the bickering.

I thought mentioning the experts that Remainers held in such high regard before and during the referendum would provide some possible context to our currency realignment. No idea if they are right or wrong but you guys hang on there every word (when it suits).

It's funny that they seem to believe all the doomsayers but when there is positive news it's yeah but.........

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have always argued against referendums on national issues and, whilst I can certainly understand the case for a follow up to the last one once the consequences are known, my preference would be for a general election. If you're determined to find inconsistency consider your own position - joyful that the last referendum was held but furious that another one might be. And as for a Brexiter accusing someone of wanting to take Parliament out of the loop, well, I can only admire the chutzpah...

Not sure how i can be furious over something that parliament have agreed wont be happening. but good to see your calls for another referendum are slipping away and that your focus is now being concentrated elsewhere. Is this a Liberal Party election victory you are counting on to overturn the original referendum?.........Good luck with that.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
So to be clear. Leavers celebrating the good unemployment figures, this is all continuing a trend in place before the vote and is happening when we are full of people taking all our jobs. Can I ask why you want to change things when they are going well*?

*by well I mean unemployment because this is going well while other indicators suggest problems are coming (unless we are celebrating increased spending based on debt).

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Lowest unemployment for years,they must admit something is going well. Blahblahblah but but but the banks

Lowest unemployment is good (linked to Brexit) BUT falling unemployment should see wages going up but it isn't so we are all getting poorer.

Slowest growth in developed world, rising inflation, weakest pound for a generation - obviously not linked to Brexit of course.

You lot really need to read about cognitive dissonance and then read what WTO might mean.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So to be clear. Leavers celebrating the good unemployment figures, this is all continuing a trend in place before the vote and is happening when we are full of people taking all our jobs. Can I ask why you want to change things when they are going well*?

*by well I mean unemployment because this is going well while other indicators suggest problems are coming (unless we are celebrating increased spending based on debt).

Sorry but according to yourself and your friends unemployment was going to rocket upwards almost straight away to unbelievable levels. We are just pointing out this particular bit of doom just hasn't materialised. I'm glad you agree with what you said in your post.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

I've tried to make out your message, your meaning and even perhaps your intent but, bugger me, I cannot make head nor tale of this post. Grammar is atrocious.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Re a general election overturning the vote. This will not happen. The leader of the opposition is the strongest brexiteer of them all and he will love all the Henry VIII powers he will have if he wins. The lack of scrutiny by parliament in the brace new world is EXACTLY what Corbyn wants. I am staggered that many right leaning leave/Tory voters have not realised the risk here.

If Brexit happens and it goes badly (as it seems to be) then the tories will lose the election and prime minister Corbyn will do whatever the hell he likes. Is that really what people want? I don't think many people have thought about the long game here.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I've tried to make out your message, your meaning and even perhaps your intent but, bugger me, I cannot make head nor tale of this post. Grammar is atrocious.

I think you mean "The grammar is atrocious" because otherwise you would be celebrating my lack of grammar as you appear to think it is Atrocious.
Forgive me for writing in a haphazard way while I lie in bed ending my day checking whether people have realised what is going on.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I think you mean "The grammar is atrocious" because otherwise you would be celebrating my lack of grammar as you appear to think it is Atrocious.
Forgive me for writing in a haphazard way while I lie in bed ending my day checking whether people have realised what is going on.

Not at all Mr Atrocious, you go ahead and chill. Have fun.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Lowest unemployment is good (linked to Brexit) BUT falling unemployment should see wages going up but it isn't so we are all getting poorer.

Slowest growth in developed world, rising inflation, weakest pound for a generation - obviously not linked to Brexit of course.

You lot really need to read about cognitive dissonance and then read what WTO might mean.

Pay issues were caused by the bank collapse in 2009 when most if not all suffered pay freezes or pay cuts. Most have never recovered from this. To blame this on Brexit is very weak when this issue has been around for years. Weakest pound ????? Still nowhere near again what yourself and other Doomsayers were predicting in your apocalypse. On the rise again now as well

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sorry but according to yourself and your friends unemployment was going to rocket upwards almost straight away to unbelievable levels. We are just pointing out this particular bit of doom just hasn't materialised. I'm glad you agree with what you said in your post.

Where have I ever said unemployment will rocket before we leave? I haven't because it is nonsense as nothing has materially changed yet. Yes sterling crashed but unemployment takes longer and people who thought it would be instantaneous are daft. My prediction is that it will go up reasonably quickly once we leave as we feel the pinch and that every single leaver will say "economic cycle" (which we are in now but you seem to pretend otherwise).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Re a general election overturning the vote. This will not happen. The leader of the opposition is the strongest brexiteer of them all and he will love all the Henry VIII powers he will have if he wins. The lack of scrutiny by parliament in the brace new world is EXACTLY what Corbyn wants. I am staggered that many right leaning leave/Tory voters have not realised the risk here.

If Brexit happens and it goes badly (as it seems to be) then the tories will lose the election and prime minister Corbyn will do whatever the hell he likes. Is that really what people want? I don't think many people have thought about the long game here.

Agree with you on Corbyn. That is a worst case scenario, low interest rates would be a thing of the past and plenty would then struggle

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Pay issues were caused by the bank collapse in 2009 when most if not all suffered pay freezes or pay cuts. Most have never recovered from this. To blame this on Brexit is very weak when this issue has been around for years. Weakest pound ????? Still nowhere near again what yourself and other Doomsayers were predicting in your apocalypse. On the rise again now as well

Again - where did I say this? I have always said not left yet.

To blame a crisis 10 years ago on low wages now is quite the leap. Yes we had frozen wages etc but this is year on year growth. The usual trend is for unemployment decrease to wages grow at faster rate but now wages are stagnating and falling behind inflation. Nicky Morgan the chair of treasury select committee is launching an investigation into what is going on. Big suggestion that everyone has got too used to low interest rates. Something needs to be done and when interest rates go up that is when people like me with a mortgage will really feel the pain. Every year we get poorer as wage increases are well below inflation and then mortgage rates up. Some tight times ahead for me and many others.

The one good thing that could happen is that rates increases could crash housing market and make it more affordable in the long term.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Agree with you on Corbyn. That is a worst case scenario, low interest rates would be a thing of the past and plenty would then struggle

That is the way it seems to be going though isn't it? Pretty much everyone now agrees that Brexit will hurt for several years so labour will probably romp the election. Then what?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Again - where did I say this? I have always said not left yet.

To blame a crisis 10 years ago on low wages now is quite the leap. Yes we had frozen wages etc but this is year on year growth. The usual trend is for unemployment decrease to wages grow at faster rate but now wages are stagnating and falling behind inflation. Nicky Morgan the chair of treasury select committee is launching an investigation into what is going on. Big suggestion that everyone has got too used to low interest rates. Something needs to be done and when interest rates go up that is when people like me with a mortgage will really feel the pain. Every year we get poorer as wage increases are well below inflation and then mortgage rates up. Some tight times ahead for me and many others.

The one good thing that could happen is that rates increases could crash housing market and make it more affordable in the long term.

Not disagreeing on the rates issue. If well when they do go up it will make life tough for many many people. I believe Corbyn and his crew are the greatest danger to this scenario

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
That is the way it seems to be going though isn't it? Pretty much everyone now agrees that Brexit will hurt for several years so labour will probably romp the election. Then what?

Brexit won't win Corbyn an election, it will be all the false promises they will make then realising there's not enough money in the pot to pay for it all

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Not sure how i can be furious over something that parliament have agreed wont be happening. but good to see your calls for another referendum are slipping away and that your focus is now being concentrated elsewhere. Is this a Liberal Party election victory you are counting on to overturn the original referendum?.........Good luck with that.

No change from me regarding the benefits of General Elections over X-Factor referendums. Always preferred them. A fine British tradition. Totally with Margaret Thatcher on the gruesomeness of one-issue charades. And after a lifetime of almost always voting LibDem, to no effect whatsoever, I'm hardly likely to be counting on success there.

Still, as you always said that a soft Brexit is no Brexit at all, I can favour the possible crumb of comfort that a Labour victory might bring. But I'm hardly counting on that either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here