Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will they stop me buying property in Germany?

Germany (and with cash) no, but non-EU nationals need approval in a number of EU countries and have to satisfy certain criteria such as property type, purpose and your residency status. And then there's the issue with moving your money and all the paper work this will entail and I guess there is the possibility they might stop you moving money by making it prohibitively expensive.

What I will say is your chances of buying a German property with a German mortgage will be greatly reduced after Brexit. Many banks refuse to lend to non-EU people due to the utter ball-ache of the paperwork required and the risk. And German mortgages are way way cheaper than British ones so you'd be daft to buy on a UK mortgage....if a Brit bank would lend for this purpose. Then there's the exchange rate. Again, if you have cash you can buy but any other process it's becoming prohibitively difficult....ie the answer is if you are a normal person brakes will be applied with buying in Germany.

As for now it's an absolute breeze. I have bought a place with a low ten year fixed German mortgage and everything from start to finish took me 3 weeks. Just need them to build it now.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Germany (and with cash) no, but non-EU nationals need approval in a number of EU countries and have to satisfy certain criteria such as property type, purpose and your residency status. And then there's the issue with moving your money and all the paper work this will entail and I guess there is the possibility they might stop you moving money by making it prohibitively expensive.

What I will say is your chances of buying a German property with a German mortgage will be greatly reduced after Brexit. Many banks refuse to lend to non-EU people due to the utter ball-ache of the paperwork required.

But that doesn't mean no thou does it. Are the Spanish for example seriously going to stop brits getting mortgages on holiday homes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But that doesn't mean no thou does it. Are the Spanish for example seriously going to stop brits getting mortgages on holiday homes.

I thought I pointed out very clearly it will be prohibitively difficult for normal Brits to buy in Germany post Brexit.

You'll have to ask someone else about Spanish mortgages....Germany is where my experience lies.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Well it does if you can't get a mortgage. On paper and in theory yes, you can move to somewhere in the EU if we leave but reality? Very different. For example are you aware of the existing rules that govern foreign property ownership in France? Automatic transference of ownership, the Mayoral dictats? It isn't going to get easier if we leave! It'll be nigh on impossible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are the Spanish for example seriously going to stop brits getting mortgages on holiday homes.

Might not be the Spanish. What if the UK government wants to put the breaks on money leaving the UK by popping a tax on it...British money for British people etc? At the moment there is no "might" about it....you have total and absolute freedom.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No they weren't. This tiresome argument has been done to death on this thread already. So either you're ingnorant, stupid or willfully ignoring the facts. Or maybe we have a very different interpretation of what "free" means. Which is it?

Just a few names off the top of my head - Christopher Isherwood, the Durrells, Oscar Wilde, O.V.S. Bulleid, The Beatles, Petula Clarke and Graham Greene all managed to do it, all pre EEU.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just a few names off the top of my head - Christopher Isherwood, the Durrells, Oscar Wilde, O.V.S. Bulleid, The Beatles, Petula Clarke and Graham Greene all managed to do it, all pre EEU.

Hardly your man on the Clapham omnibus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Me and you have had this discussion many many many times and it's utterly boring for us and for everyone else. I'll leave it here. There's nothing new to be said.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

With respect, I'm not sure that coming up with seven names proves a lot. And you forgot Cliff Richard. My main concern though is the loss of the sense of shared citizenship so fondly hoped-for by Churchill 70 years ago, and which we increasingly had for 40 years, the feeling that we were people together with shared rights and obligations, free to settle and work, no longer strangers. The knowledge that if we were students like my niece we could study in Aachen as easily as in Manchester. The doors are now shutting across Europe, for British people at least. That's a shame for me, and a bigger one for all our children. Trade deals with India won't really replace all we're about to lose.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With respect, I'm not sure that coming up with seven names proves a lot. And you forgot Cliff Richard. My main concern though is the loss of the sense of shared citizenship so fondly hoped-for by Churchill 70 years ago, and which we increasingly had for 40 years, the feeling that we were people together with shared rights and obligations, free to settle and work, no longer strangers. The knowledge that if we were students like my niece we could study in Aachen as easily as in Manchester. The doors are now shutting across Europe, for British people at least. That's a shame for me, and a bigger one for all our children. Trade deals with India won't really replace all we're about to lose.
Well, not surprisingly, I don't carry around in my head a complete list of Brits living in Europe pre EEU. I'm just disproving the rather ridiculous notion (one element of project fear, I suspect) that Brits never could and never will be able to live and work abroad without being in the EU. It's just nonsense.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, not surprisingly, I don't carry around in my head a complete list of Brits living in Europe pre EEU. I'm just disproving the rather ridiculous notion (one element of project fear, I suspect) that Brits never could and never will be able to live and work abroad without being in the EU. It's just nonsense.

Nobody is claiming that. We are saying leaving the EU would make it a lot harder for a lot of people and impossible for many. Of course people will still travel and live abroad. The point is that many who can do that now may not be able to, certainly not as easily amen for some, the restrictions may well prohibit this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You were not disproving anything with your completely out of context and glib response. No one said Brits would not be able to live and work abroad. You have a stock simple reply which on this occasion doesn't remotely fit the discussion me and someone else were having. If you want to re-read my very clear post then please do...then we can have a discussion. But if you chose to respond to statements which have not been made and which are totally out of context then there's no point in carrying on.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well it does if you can't get a mortgage. On paper and in theory yes, you can move to somewhere in the EU if we leave but reality? Very different. For example are you aware of the existing rules that govern foreign property ownership in France? Automatic transference of ownership, the Mayoral dictats? It isn't going to get easier if we leave! It'll be nigh on impossible.

My father-in-law already owns a property in France. Transference of ownership to who? I don't get this part.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
What if the UK government wants to put the breaks on money leaving the UK by popping a tax on it...British money for British people etc?

What about restricting the amount we can take overseas to £50? That happened a few years back - I'm sure they still have a template for it.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not for the Germans, no.

Surely,history,since we have been in the EU,states that there were just a few Nazis oppressing 46 million brave German freedom-fighters,and they are all jolly fine people now?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My father-in-law already owns a property in France. Transference of ownership to who? I don't get this part.

It's complicated and really requires a detailed explanantion so I'd Google it if you are that interested but it basically means if the local authority do not feel you are present enough or do not keep the property in a way they deem suitable they can repossess the building and transfer ownership to the region or they can transfer ownership over to a previous owner who makes a claim. That can, of course be a good thing sometimes but I'll leave you to figure out the reasons it's not great for Brits wanting to own property abroad under likely restrictions bought about by our likely departure from the EU.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm just disproving the rather ridiculous notion (one element of project fear, I suspect) that Brits never could and never will be able to live and work abroad without being in the EU. It's just nonsense.

But no serious person has ever said that. And I'd have thought that no serious person would ever have believed that they had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here