Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Im fairly certain you havnt really got to grips with this whole snowflake/safe space thing yet,arse about face springs to mind.

But thanks for calling [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] a snowflake who needs a safe space though, this has certainly made my day.:lol:
Poor bloke will be choking on his gin and tonic when he reads that.

I know, he's a card this one.........I would argue he has increased the entertainment factor on this thread though, some of the others are lacking spirit.

The quasi-tantrum style of his posts is original, you can literally smell his damp bedclothes in the parental box room.

Probably just needs to "get some".

Bless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You fail to understand the role of parliament. Nor do you take into account the objectives of the referendum, which was not to deliver a guiding decision for our parliamentarians. The referendum should lead our MPs to see that the electorate is unconvinced by the perceived value of the EU and therefore believes that under current arrangements, we should leave.

That does not mean that this is the course of action that our government or parliamentarians need to take. There are other options. The most sane would be to return to the EU and say that as far as the UK electorate is concerned the EU needs reform and that reform should be forthcoming. What's not advisable is to throw the baby out with the bathwater at the first possible opportunity - which is what our unelected Prime minister is seeking to do.

well its a shame that's not how the debate was framed before the vote. i recall the remain camp telling us... no threaten us, that a vote to leave would mean immediate decline of our economy, an emergency budget, recession by end of the year. Osborne and all the others were quite insistent that this wasn't a trial run, there wouldn't be another vote, there wouldn't be a chance to change our mind, we vote leave, we're out.

funny, because of course there was no direct legal power to leave immediately, and its acknowledged that the patriarchal tone was a factor for a lot of people voting against remaining. if they had portrayed the referendum as you suggest they'd have a lot of room to change their mind after, Cameron wouldn't have resigned and who knows what we could have negotiated with the EU. one day the distraught remainers will recognise that the remain camp fcked it up, they never made a case why to remain and lost.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I answered earlier. It has equal legislative power as the other two branches.

even though it doesnt and is subservient to the Commission. what an odd sort of "equal" that is.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I answered earlier. It has equal legislative power as the other two branches.

So what you are saying is that the EU Parliament has law making powers the same as the unelected EU Commission?

This is not what the diagram you posted suggests? This exchange is really not going very well for you is it.............

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
well its a shame that's not how the debate was framed before the vote. i recall the remain camp telling us... no threaten us, that a vote to leave would mean immediate decline of our economy, an emergency budget, recession by end of the year. Osborne and all the others were quite insistent that this wasn't a trial run, there wouldn't be another vote, there wouldn't be a chance to change our mind, we vote leave, we're out.

funny, because of course there was no direct legal power to leave immediately, and its acknowledged that the patriarchal tone was a factor for a lot of people voting against remaining. if they had portrayed the referendum as you suggest they'd have a lot of room to change their mind after, Cameron wouldn't have resigned and who knows what we could have negotiated with the EU. one day the distraught remainers will recognise that the remain camp fcked it up, they never made a case why to remain and lost.

Which goes back to my original point. Perhaps the Lords can now do the job that Parliamentarians have failed to do.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Which goes back to my original point. Perhaps the Lords can now do the job that Parliamentarians have failed to do.

stop prevaricating and get on with the process? i suppose you mean ignore the vote, and fall back in line with EU to proceed with further integration.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Quite calm love, merely providing a gentle reminder for some of the feeble minded that the discussion on the EU's democratic legitimacy needs to move on, EU reform is coming and mainly because of Brexit. I have no doubt that in the end this will be positive overall, the EU will have to cut its budget and largesse, European nations will regain their sovereignty.

Once again the peoples of Europe owe a debt of gratitude to the fortitude of the British people.

Makes your heart swell with pride doesn't it?

I am not so sure that the 24 nations that are net recipients of the EU will be thanking us for reducing the budget, nor the 3 remaining net contributors for creating pressure on them to step up.
In fact, not sure that we will actually be paying much less in to EU coffers once we are out, we currently enjoy a rebate on what our contributions should be, if that gets torn up and we start paying piecemeal to be in this bit or that bit, we could end up paying more.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see on Sky News Theresa May ventured into The House of Lords today to watch proceedings, for whatever reason. Apparently the only other occasions since the war a serving PM has done this was John Major in 1990 and Clement Atlee during the India Bill in the late 1940s.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I see on Sky News Theresa May ventured into The House of Lords today to watch proceedings, for whatever reason. Apparently the only other occasions since the war a serving PM has done this was John Major in 1990 and Clement Atlee during the India Bill in the late 1940s.[/QUOTE

Still thinks she's Monarch May even though she lost in the Supreme Court. Boris was hanging around too, its called intimidation

People slam the Lords until they need them, like stopping George Osbourne's raid on the poor last year

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Christ on a bike! My post was nothing about the difference between the CM and the EU. It was about the role of parliament. But if you want to use the post for some cheap score to make you feel better then carry on.
Cheap score? No, not interested. But refuting poor arguments and refusal to accept the facts, that's different.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You would get your MEP to propose and bring forward EU legislation to alter the areas we have concerns with.
Yeh right. That would be like getting the council to come round and fill pot-holes in the road, and allocate a regular carer to your aged parents, -would it? Easy peasy - all you have to do is ask nicely.

Geez!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You fail to understand the role of parliament. Nor do you take into account the objectives of the referendum, which was not to deliver a guiding decision for our parliamentarians. The referendum should lead our MPs to see that the electorate is unconvinced by the perceived value of the EU and therefore believes that under current arrangements, we should leave.

That does not mean that this is the course of action that our government or parliamentarians need to take. There are other options. The most sane would be to return to the EU and say that as far as the UK electorate is concerned the EU needs reform and that reform should be forthcoming. What's not advisable is to throw the baby out with the bathwater at the first possible opportunity - which is what our unelected Prime minister is seeking to do.

I know what you are saying about going back to the EU but I think that would cause a war, half the nation has been sufficiently poisoned by the right wing press. We have a narrow win for leave and we go for the most extreme Brexit possible, May is failing to bring the country together and could well fracture the Union with it

Its bizarre the people I know who voted Brexit all seem risk adverse in their lives, yet seem happy to put the nation at huge risk going forward.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No he couldn't. But it the response of a crybaby snowflake to run off sulking the second they don't get their own way.
We should fight for what we think is right and take charge! But we are 52% snowflake bedwetting wet flannels now it seems.
No. Don't you understand anything (daft question: no, you obviously can't). 48% bedwetting (your phrase, not one I would normally sink to using, but in your case I'll have to bring it down to your level) because they didn't get their own way. That, snowflake, includes you.......................

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I know what you are saying about going back to the EU but I think that would cause a war, half the nation has been sufficiently poisoned by the right wing press. We have a narrow win for leave and we go for the most extreme Brexit possible, May is failing to bring the country together and could well fracture the Union with it

Its bizarre the people I know who voted Brexit all seem risk adverse in their lives, yet seem happy to put the nation at huge risk going forward.
Poisoned?
Don't need the right wing press to tell me how to vote...I just look around the EU and see big problems and I don't like a glorified "agency/middleman "organisation dictating what you can and can't do.

The biggest threat to wonderful Europe is the lefties or should I say"was a wonderful Europe " instead.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here