Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Winning the Brexit argument is making me feel sick, I wish I was wrong

I disagree it's like Groundhog Day though...... 4 different government ministers state 4 different views of a single Brexit item. That's not living the same day over and over.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I disagree it's like Groundhog Day though...... 4 different government ministers state 4 different views of a single Brexit item. That's not living the same day over and over.

In some respects it is, regarding Brexiteers posts. It goes a little something like this:

Remain poster posts new information, usually facts about the economy or TM's latest embarrassment.
Brexit poster gets vexed and says we are ruining Brexit by being doom mongerers.
Pasta wakes up the next day and tells remainers they are full of shit and liars. He may or may not quote a post from as far back as a year. He'll then mention the NHS millions, call someone a liar again and flounce.
One of the other four leavers will post irrelevant/unsubstantiated/misunderstood quotes and figures.
PPF tells everyone to get over it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
More softening of Brexit in the latest papers the government have published and totally contradicts what Theresa May said in January. Strong and Stable.....lol. Arse and elbow more like.

Either making it up as they go along or just playing politics (we tried but failed)

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Remainers are the ones that believed the country would allocate to the NHS more than we actually paid to The EU.(they still believe in the figures and bang on about it all the time) Remainers must have believed therefore that £0.00 was available to give to other funding after we Leave. They are clearly a bit gullible so yes its more than likely they believed the untrue scare stories that the economy would crash immediately.

Have you found that mechanism yet that can control the numbers of EU nationals(workers and non workers) from entering the country in the first place, like you claim we don’t bother using, you went a bit quiet on that …..yet again.
Think I will have to put you down as talking out of your arse, or the simplified version….. a liar.

That horse bolted with the A8/12 countries. We chose not to implement controls when other countries did to the new entrants. We could have done the same to turkey if they were going to join (they won't that was another lie).

The UK has the right to restrict FoM through:
Suspension of the FoM for up to 7 years from when a new member country joins by:
Preventing/prohibiting movement;
UK can insist upon work permits for each migrant; and
Benefit/Welfare “tourism” is illegal

We chose not to use any of these controls. We could have done but didn't. But you knew that right?

Further explanation.

UK chose not to control the 2004 inflow of migrants

Certainly it is true that one of the sharpest rises in net migration came in 2004, when the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia joined. However it is also fact that the UK was one of only 3 of the original EU members to choose not to apply transitional restrictions on these eight countries and as such the UK invited this surge. They could have avoided it if they wished. Restrictions can apply for up to 7 years after a new member joins the EU and there are provisions to restrict movement if there should be any localised “surges”.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You're either a dribbling idiot or someone making a daft attempt at a wind-up. Perhaps you could tell me where I say that Turkey doesn't have a border with Syria.

You said it over and over again.I'm sure if you look back through your unedited posts you will find it easily,if you remember to look through Lincoln Imp's stuff.:D

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My view - come and chuck this in my face if wrong.

Economy will go to crap when we leave. So far we have been sheltered thanks to the tanking pound and interest rate cut. People have not yet adjusted their spending despite the annual difference between pay rises and inflation being bad. This can only go on for so long before it comes crashing down.

I worry about our crucial public services which rely on skill foreign labour. The applications to work in NHS have nosedived and applications to train as nurses the same. This will come crashing down.

I liked being part of something big and having the option to move around and work where I want. I wanted my kids to share these opportunities. This will have to change.

I liked a peaceful Northern Ireland. Growing up my dad was in the navy and I remember well how he had to conceal all evidence of his job for fear of being a target. Anything that puts this at risk is a bad idea.

I like clean beaches, safe fire proof clothes and household materials and i liked that our government could not do whatever they fancied whether labour or Tory. I liked the checks and balances that kept us centre.

I like that my kids have friends at school from all different background and serveral countries. They are 8,7 and 7 and they understand many different cultures from Europe and further afield. His best friend at school is a Slovakian lad whose parents have faced some terrible abuse since the vote which they never heard pre vote. The geek chap from work says the same. Him and his wife want to start a family but can't be sure re their rights so don't want to risk it.

I could go on and on. So many of these things have nothing to do with the economy.

Don't think it's very nice you calling a work-mate a geek.You Remain lot think you can get away with it,but it's probably a hate crime

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How can an avid Remainer that I presume was an advocate of 'project fear' conclude that currently our economy is under-performing, comparatively you must be in utter shock at its resilience.

It is a desperate attempt for anyone to cite one quarters growth against other EU member states as a reliable indicator no matter which way it swings (unless its the extremes of recession or boom), a longer set of data is bound to give a clearer trend.

If you currently choose this particular short term data as your own personal indicator of Brexit, I can only guess this wasnt used when we were topping the G7 league in Q4 2016.

Although we would all prefer greater growth, to assess the UK's one quarter growth of 0.3% as some clarification of a Brexit induced failure then it's worth noting that in Q2, Belgium @ 0.4%, Italy 0.4%, Denmark 0.5%, France 0.5%, , Portugal 0.2% is hardly an endorsement of the virtues of Remain either.

It's impossible to debate with you as you seem determined to put your head in the sand.

We are going to leave the EU, so let's leave with our eyes open to the realities of the world in which we'll play a part. Whether I was a retainer or not is immaterial. I'm a realist. We all need to be realists and drop the dreams that we might once have had - on both sides.

In the meantime, this may help you...

https://subscription.economist.com/...MI-qyCn93q1QIVSrftCh30Ngr8EAAYASAAEgLZZvD_BwE

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's impossible to debate with you as you seem determined to put your head in the sand.

We are going to leave the EU, so let's leave with our eyes open to the realities of the world in which we'll play a part. Whether I was a retainer or not is immaterial. I'm a realist. We all need to be realists and drop the dreams that we might once have had - on both sides.

In the meantime, this may help you...

https://subscription.economist.com/...MI-qyCn93q1QIVSrftCh30Ngr8EAAYASAAEgLZZvD_BwE

Or not...

The Economist has a research and analysis division which claims to be a world leader in global business intelligence – the grandly named Economist Intelligence Unit or the “EIU”. As well as offering subscribers research updates it also does consultancy for corporations who want to know what is going on in the world. The EIU says “our knowledge of economics, politics and socio-demographics is second to none. If you need to see into the future, we can help.” Using “bespoke modelling and scenario analysis” the EIU “can provide country, industry or market scenarios based on expert judgement, modelling” so, “if you need to understand how a country or industry will respond to an event… we can model that too.” Corporations pay good money for the research and expect it to be reality-based rather than just journalists’ wishful thinking…

Guido has got hold of the EIU report for Britain dated June 28, 2016, five days after the referendum result. On politics it forecast:

• Our baseline forecast is that Boris Johnson—the former mayor of London and one of the leaders of the “leave” campaign—will succeed David Cameron as the Conservative Party leader and prime minister… Theresa May won.
  • This process will commence with the triggering of Article 50 of the EU treaties to begin the exit process; we expect this to happen by the end of 2016. It was triggered in March 2017.
  • The Labour Party is mired in an acrimonious leadership crisis. We expect that the party’s hard-left leader, Jeremy Corbyn, will be ousted, and/or that there will be a formal split. Jezza’s not going anywhere. Labour isn’t splitting.
  • They also predict a second referendum will lead to a “jump in support for UKIP.” That remains to be seen.

On the economy EIU forecast:

• They expected a contraction of 1% in 2017 (compared with 1.8% growth previously) as a slump in domestic demand pulls the economy into recession. UK GDP is on course to grow 1.9% in 2017. No contraction. No recession.
  • They forecast the number of those in work to fall by hundreds of thousands. More people are in work than ever…
  • They gloomily forecast a rapid deterioration in the fiscal position, falling tax revenues, increasing unemployment. None of which happened…
  • They predicted the US Federal Reserve would have to hold interest rates. The Fed raised rates.
  • The EIU predicted anxiety-driven declines in world stock markets, “When an event promises to strip 6% of GDP from the fifth-biggest economy in the world, it is harder for the rest of the global economy to grow as quickly.” Brexit “will ensure that the global economy continues to underperform its potential for at least another two years”. World stock markets have rallied strongly post-Brexit.

https://order-order.com/2017/06/23/the-economist-lack-of-intelligence-unit/

Perhaps http://www.astrologyweekly.com/ would be a better bet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here