Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
A more accurate account here. Headcount in the UK will not change, "Whatever the outcome, London will remain for us a very significant regional hub and a significant global hub
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/21/gold...urope-in-first-stage-of-brexit-reshuffle.html

It did actually state "“Whatever the outcome [of the Brexit talks], London will remain for us a very significant regional hub and a significant global hub. London will remain a very significant important centre.” in the Guardian report as well.........in amongst the gloomy headline.

D

Deleted member 22389

It did actually state "“Whatever the outcome [of the Brexit talks], London will remain for us a very significant regional hub and a significant global hub. London will remain a very significant important centre.” in the Guardian report as well.........in amongst the gloomy headline.

I'm going to start looking for proper sources of news on stories like this now. People moan about the Daily Mail, Express, The Guardian also loves its headlines.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A more accurate account here. Headcount in the UK will not change,

Not what was reported.

It shouldn't be too difficult to read and repeat what was written, but for some it obviously is.

The actual report states 'Goldman Sachs also confirmed that this movement away from London would not necessarily result in a net reduction of workers in the U.K.'

This is not in anyway a statement that says the UK headcount will not change. It is however a clear statement that if the net headcount does reduce in the future, the use of 'not necessarily' gives the Bank an out for not breaking any promises on job losses in London

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm going to start looking for proper sources of news on stories like this now. People moan about the Daily Mail, Express, The Guardian also loves its headlines.

Exactly, put up the Mail, Express etc and the sources are terrible, put up some of the "liberal" sources and they think it's all ok.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

But it doesn't state that London will remain as important as it is currently, and they are clearly boosting their European operations given the stated hiring of additional staff from the remaining 27 EU countries.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Exactly, put up the Mail, Express etc and the sources are terrible, put up some of the "liberal" sources and they think it's all ok.

That's the same Guardian that Arron Banks said was the only newspaper he read during the Brexit campaign as it was the only one that was balanced in his view, by the way.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's the same Guardian that Arron Banks said was the only newspaper he read during the Brexit campaign as it was the only one that was balanced in his view, by the way.

Yep, so we all have to agree with Arron Banks view do we.........all hail Arron Banks. :bowdown:
By the way i do know who he is.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep, so we all have to agree with Arron Banks view do we.........all hail Arron Banks. :bowdown:

No, I didn't say we all had to agree with him. He backed UKIP and wanted a 'leave' vote, so I for one didn't agree with him on that for example, anymore than I agree with his Tweets today. I was just saying that one of those most prominent and influential on the leave side doesn't have a problem with The Guardian.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No, I didn't say we all had to agree with him. He backed UKIP and wanted a 'leave' vote, so I for one didn't agree with him on that for example, anymore than I agree with his Tweets today. I was just saying that one of those most prominent and influential on the leave side doesn't have a problem with The Guardian.

Ok, but on many issues the Guardian has its bias, the same as other news sources. Does that tit George Monbiot still do a turn in the Guardian.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
your question was "how much do we pay and how much are we short changed". you're quite right no one has apparently done an official full cost/benefit analysis of membership of the EU, weighing the benefits of tariff free trade, labour movement etc against costs of regulations, compliance etc, borne by business. so you cant say that the benefits outweigh the costs. either way there's a very real, tangible £8.5bn ongoing and only £4.5bn incoming to cover all those development, regeneration funds etc. EU doesn't give us positive fiscal benefit, thats the point.

It's obvious why the EU wont itemize anything, the place has never been audited. if for nothing else this should set alarm bells ringing.

How on earth are we supposed to have faith in a set up like that, just stand by and let some corrupt crooked bas*ard run the show.. ..yes i f*cking will.:facepalm:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's obvious why the EU wont itemize anything, the place has never been audited. if for nothing else this should set alarm bells ringing.

How on earth are we supposed to have faith in a set up like that, just stand by and let some corrupt crooked bas*ard run the show.. ..yes i f*cking will.:facepalm:

And what do the European Court of Auditors do?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

This lot you mean. EU auditors refuse to sign off more than £100billion of its own spending
Critics attack the EU for demanding that David Cameron pays a £1.7 billion bill despite an official audit failing to give a clean bill of health to more than £100 billion of Brussels spending .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This lot you mean. EU auditors refuse to sign off more than £100billion of its own spending
Critics attack the EU for demanding that David Cameron pays a £1.7 billion bill despite an official audit failing to give a clean bill of health to more than £100 billion of Brussels spending .

Can leavers actually agree amongst themselves. One says the EU has never been audited while another refers to a 2014 story about the EU being audited.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I usually avoid getting involved in debates about good/bad economic news but this exchange really surprises me. London is arguably one of the two greatest financial centres in the world but Goldman Sachs is now saying that as far as they're concerned it will in future be no more than a 'significant' global hub (the bank specifically distances itself from calling it 'very significant').

And Brexiters apparently regard this as GOOD news?

As it happens I didn't vote Remain for economic reasons but this seems like a classic example of Brexiters putting on their rictus smiles, disappearing into fogs of self-denial and claiming that everything is absolutely fine even when it's clearly not. "Listen everybody! London is not actually going to be insignificant according to Goldman Sachs! Isn't that great!"

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I

And Brexiters apparently regard this as GOOD news?

Where did i state it was GOOD (make sure it can be seen ) news?.... i stated " "“Whatever the outcome [of the Brexit talks], London will remain for us a very significant regional hub and a significant global hub. London will remain a very significant important centre.” in the Guardian report as well.........in amongst the gloomy headline."
Again what you want to see is NOT actually there.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Where did i state it was GOOD (make sure it can be seen ) news?.... i stated " "“Whatever the outcome [of the Brexit talks], London will remain for us a very significant regional hub and a significant global hub. London will remain a very significant important centre.” in the Guardian report as well.........in amongst the gloomy headline."
Again what you want to see is NOT actually there.

So you accept its not good news then?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Outside Brighton central library there's an interesting installation called "Before I die I want to..." The title is repeated across all four sides with blackboard spaces for people to finish the sentence in their own way. In the middle, on the side facing the street, in the most prominent of places, someone has written "...feel safe in the UK". I felt a little shame.

That’s quite sad really.
Whilst safety fears are naturally likely to rise during a sustained period of high threat levels of terrorism, the chalk drawer should take comfort in the knowledge the security forces are doing a great job and have thwarted a number of planned attacks over the years.
One day these terrorists will be defeated and the chalk drawer will feel safe again, I would generally advise him/her though to put these matters into the back of their head and just go about their day to day life as normal and not worry about it.
Not sure how you feeling shame is relevant ether, doubt very much you are a crazy jihadi..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here