Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's not yearning for Empire it's yearning for the same situation as the vast majority of countries in the world. Our membership of the EU is not 'free'. If we don't like our Government we can vote them out if we don't like the direction the EU is taking what can we do?

And some EU countries have record unemployment and terrible growth so how do you show what bit is down to EU membership?

Are we going to try and be like those brilliant economies Brazil and India? They are a reasonably comparable side to us and look at how they fare. I wouldn't want to be anyone other than rich in those.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Oh for the empire hey? Leaving a largest free trade block to negotiate loads of other ones with different rules and regulations will make us free?

We have record employment levels, very low unemployment, since the EU formed record overall growth and yet somehow we still yearn for a past that doesn't actually exist. It is all very odd
Don't be fooled by those stats as 1000's of business's and millions of people are in severe debt and poverty...
The issue with many is that this idiotic EU organisation should not have as much power over countries as it does....Can you imagine Spain or Greece etc trying to leave?bloody hell they'd have zero chance and all the countries bar France and Germany are hamstrung and controlled.
These people in Brussels don't care about migration issues wether it's Europeans or the huge influx from Africa and the middle east and the many that have perished trying to get in Europe.If you're in a bad recession you'll get no help but if you do well you get a £2 billion fine :D
This organisation could actually work if every country had its fair share of people in it making the big decisions...Maybe an election from each country that picks one big gun.It should be run by people's of each country fairly and equally and if you want to leave you should not have to pay many many billions and be punished.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Are we going to try and be like those brilliant economies Brazil and India? They are a reasonably comparable side to us and look at how they fare. I wouldn't want to be anyone other than rich in those.

I notice you didn't answer any of the questions. We are going to continue to be one of the biggest economies in the world with a security council seat in the UN, newly regained seat at the WTO, central pillar of NATO, friend and Ally to our European neighbours.. Brazil and India are some of the fastest growing economies in the world. I look forward to the UK having the freedom to make new trade deals with these countries proritising our interests over those of 27 other nations.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Don't be fooled by those stats as 1000's of business's and millions of people are in severe debt and poverty...
The issue with many is that this idiotic EU organisation should not have as much power over countries as it does....Can you imagine Spain or Greece etc trying to leave?bloody hell they'd have zero chance and all the countries bar France and Germany are hamstrung and controlled.
These people in Brussels don't care about migration issues wether it's Europeans or the huge influx from Africa and the middle east and the many that have perished trying to get in Europe.If you're in a bad recession you'll get no help but if you do well you get a £2 billion fine :D
This organisation could actually work if every country had its fair share of people in it making the big decisions...Maybe an election from each country that picks one big gun.It should be run by people's of each country fairly and equally and if you want to leave you should not have to pay many many billions and be punished.

So you would be happy for a country with 200k population to have equal control as 60 million? Look how people in this country are irritated by Scotland being over represented. In fact DUP hold sway. Are people happy with that?

My issue with the EU is that they let people in who shouldn't have been allowed as the economies were too weak. Not sure that makes the whole thing wrong though.

We are not in the euro so still have control of monetary policy whereas they don't. Some countries wanted to benefit from EU but not change.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

How about us being like that brilliant economy,Venezuela?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I notice you didn't answer any of the questions. We are going to continue to be one of the biggest economies in the world with a security council seat in the UN, newly regained seat at the WTO, central pillar of NATO, friend and Ally to our European neighbours.. Brazil and India are some of the fastest growing economies in the world. I look forward to the UK having the freedom to make new trade deals with these countries proritising our interests over those of 27 other nations.

We already have tariff-free access to countries covering 60% of our trade. We are ditching this on the hope that we MIGHT be able to do deals which improve trade covering the other 40%. But to achieve such deals we will have to make a whole range of additional concessions. How do we know any of those deals is going to be better than the arrangements we have via our membership of the EU? We can offer a market of 60m people, but the EU offers 400m people. If I was India or Brazil I know who I'd rather trade with.

Plus, of course, if any UK business wishes to trade with the EU after we've left they will still have to adhere to EU regs. The additional bureaucracy that Brexit will bring about is just incredible. But that's another issue Brexiteers sweep under the carpet...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well,that doesn't surprise me.Let's see if I can break it down for you,sort of an idiot's guide.If you go and live in an EU country,your tax will go to where you have said you would like it to go to,if you can find a job.Is that simple enough for you?The emoji at the finish is waving-try to think about when you have waved to people.Could it mean goodbye?

Oh I see. If I don't like Brexit, leave the UK.
No.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We can offer a market of 60m people, but the EU offers 400m people. If I was India or Brazil I know who I'd rather trade with.

India, Brazil will want to trade with whoever has the market and the lower barriers to that market. they'll want both, its not a binary choice, trade deal with the EU or the UK.

Plus, of course, if any UK business wishes to trade with the EU after we've left they will still have to adhere to EU regs. The additional bureaucracy that Brexit will bring about is just incredible. But that's another issue Brexiteers sweep under the carpet...

what the regulations we already have? some additional bureacracy may apply to those that export to the EU, meanwhile the >80% of the economy that does not deal directly with the EU would be freed from some. 19000 laws and regulations the EU has brought in to support a single market when the vast majority of the economy is not cross-border.

Jan 30, 2008
Unfortunately for Leavers, the EU is getting (and will continue to get) stronger. We will get weaker, as we have no credible plan for the future, and many of our key industries are in the course of relocating to continental Europe. No one is envying us - on the contrary, we are a laughing stock. I still find it incredible that so many leaders of the Leave campaign spent so long telling us how awful the EU is, but spent zero time working out a plan for life post-Brexit.

Fortunately I have an Irish grandfather and will be able to rely on an EU passport in the future. I have also saved a reasonable amount, and have a decent proportion of my assets denominated in Euros or Dollars. I can speak French and Spanish, and have a smattering of Italian and German. So, I could obviously just say "sod it, I'm alright Jack". But I'm still a patriotic Brit, and I despair what is happening to our country.
no you're not , you would be getting behind Brexit if that was the case :facepalm:
regards
DR

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The inverted comma at the beginning does indeed suggest a quote,as does the one after choice,finishing the quote from some anonymous BBC minion.Possibly the sketchy knowledge of English is acceptable nowadays at the BBC-wouldn't surprise me at all with the ever-falling standards of their programmes.Perhaps you should get your eyesight checked if you couldn't see the end-quote.Have you been a football referee?
It is normal when quoting to say who you're quoting. I'm not sure you should blather on about falling standards of English when you haven't learnt how to apply spaces next to punctuation marks. It is something most people learn in Year One.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Front page of the Mail of Sunday tomorrow is a big splash about how the French are planning to use Brexit to rip the city of London to pieces. This splash suggests this is a shock to some. Finance is easy money and a MASSIVE source of revenue for this country. Anyone who did not see this coming is a complete idiot. Staggered they have run a splash which is essentially saying "more evidence project fear was project realistic"

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It is normal when quoting to say who you're quoting. I'm not sure you should blather on about falling standards of English when you haven't learnt how to apply spaces next to punctuation marks. It is something most people learn in Year One.

Ooooooh,a little tetchy tonight are we?My standards of English,eh?As I don't work for the BBC, perhaps you are under the miss-apprehension that I might give a toss about my standards of English.Year One is something introduced since my schooldays,but I do understand you are attempting,rather badly,to insult me.Water off a duck's back sonny.Introducing things like Year One doesn't seem to have improved the teaching standards,if that's what you've been through.Oh,and is your eyesight really poor?Try wearing boxing gloves.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Front page of the Mail of Sunday tomorrow is a big splash about how the French are planning to use Brexit to rip the city of London to pieces. This splash suggests this is a shock to some. Finance is easy money and a MASSIVE source of revenue for this country. Anyone who did not see this coming is a complete idiot. Staggered they have run a splash which is essentially saying "more evidence project fear was project realistic"

Try looking for some news from 2017:tumble::yawn:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Try looking for some news from 2017:tumble::yawn:

I know the Mail on Sunday would love to take us back to the glory days but I would suggest the front page of tomorrow's paper is actually 2017 news.

Oh you want a finance base in the largest free trade block in the world. Do you want it outside or inside the free trade area?

BUT WE ARE BRITAIN.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Front page of the Mail of Sunday tomorrow is a big splash about how the French are planning to use Brexit to rip the city of London to pieces. [

Cant see how, we will be free to trade with the rest of the world without the dead hand of the EU.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I know the Mail on Sunday would love to take us back to the glory days but I would suggest the front page of tomorrow's paper is actually 2017 news.

Oh you want a finance base in the largest free trade block in the world. Do you want it outside or inside the free trade area?

BUT WE ARE BRITAIN.

Largest?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here