Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Have you no heard of the Great Repeal Bill, the White Paper for which is due to be published today?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-great-repeal-bill

This will enshrine all the European laws from the last 40 years into British law, so there will be no sudden black hole in the legislation. Parliament can then decide as and when which bits it repeals or replaces. Presumably, then, this rule will still apply, and if Parliament thinks it is a good thing they won't change it.

Sure, and what if they don't like that part of it...... They can change it at will (I believe)

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I doubt £650 million investment would be heading to Heathrow if there was any realistic chance of the doomsday scenario occurring, do you? World's biggest sovereign wealth funds not good enough then.

A high proportion of Heathrow's passengers are just transferring flights to go elsewhere.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I doubt £650 million investment would be heading to Heathrow if there was any realistic chance of the doomsday scenario occurring, do you? World's biggest sovereign wealth funds not good enough then.

Nobody thinks that if an agreement is not sorted soon there will be no flights ever, but there could be a period where planes are grounded. Heathrow itself will not suffer too badly from that, the shops and airlines will.
The risk in an investment in Heathrow, is that by being outside the EU, it loses more hub business to Schipol and others inside the EU. This will reduce the footfall that they provide to the shops, and therefore the chargeable rents, and the fees from the airlines.

Nobody thinks Heathrow will close, it will still be a profitable airport, but it will probably be less profitable.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Have you no heard of the Great Repeal Bill, the White Paper for which is due to be published today?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-great-repeal-bill

This will enshrine all the European laws from the last 40 years into British law, so there will be no sudden black hole in the legislation. Parliament can then decide as and when which bits it repeals or replaces. Presumably, then, this rule will still apply, and if Parliament thinks it is a good thing they won't change it.

Just like that eh? Writing bills, agreeing them in parliament, taking them through the Lords, just like that? And it's going to removing all the little bits of regulation that the brexiteers don't like. Just like that. Fantasy politics.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure, and what if they don't like that part of it...... They can change it at will (I believe)
I've no idea whether the 49% restriction is a good thing or a bad thing. You appear to very worried they might change it. Well, I suppose they might (or might not!) - the point, however, is that it won't automatically be scrapped by the Brexit process.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You are more than likely right, but to suggest airlines are not worried and dismissing the problem is foolish - they are 100% are - the ones that fly to the EU more so - Norwegian Air are taking the piss with some of the rates they charge, which UK companies are struggling to match at the moment - this will be even harder moving forward.

It goes back to the point I made yesterday, we have 2 years to sort out massive issues - with each sector suggesting they have the biggest impact on the UK and will take months to sort out.

Thank you. As I said previously I don't blame individual sectors for fighting their corner and yes, of course, the negotiations will be fiendishly complicated. Not so sure about people who continually highlight the worst case scenarios no matter how unlikely just to bash Brexit though.

I expect a lengthy transitional period will be needed for numerous sectors.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Nobody thinks that if an agreement is not sorted soon there will be no flights ever, but there could be a period where planes are grounded. Heathrow itself will not suffer too badly from that, the shops and airlines will.
The risk in an investment in Heathrow, is that by being outside the EU, it loses more hub business to Schipol and others inside the EU. This will reduce the footfall that they provide to the shops, and therefore the chargeable rents, and the fees from the airlines.

Nobody thinks Heathrow will close, it will still be a profitable airport, but it will probably be less profitable.

Could, might, probably.....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've no idea whether the 49% restriction is a good thing or a bad thing. You appear to very worried they might change it. Well, I suppose they might (or might not!) - the point, however, is that it won't automatically be scrapped by the Brexit process.

From a UK job point of view its a bad thing, why would Delta if they owned 51% keep the number of heads in the UK?

They would not need to.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thank you. As I said previously I don't blame individual sectors for fighting their corner and yes, of course, the negotiations will be fiendishly complicated. Not so sure about people who continually highlight the worst case scenarios no matter how unlikely just to bash Brexit though.

Because it is a potential, and it highlights how foolish (in my view) it was - unnecessary risk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Then what happens when these and other transitional arrangements, if they happen, go on well beyond 2019 though?

Is that acceptable though? There are reportedly several EU institutions we will need to stay under the remit of during such transitional arrangements. For how long? Is that Brexit meaning Brexit? I get the distinct impression some people may be disappointed with such an outcome - http://www.ukip.org/six_key_tests_to_prove_brexit_means_exit

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
the trickle has been there for years, offices move, jobs come and go. last week Deutsche Bank took out new lease on offices in London, as one counter example to this claim of an exodus. companies will move some operations to EU, meanwhile their will be some EU based firms looking to move operations to London to maintain access to the markets here. some will see risks, some will see opportunities.

its like the stories of the airline above: Heathrow investors are continuing because they see the long game, while Ryan air claims they will move operations looking for short term gain (its hardly a surprise they see growth elsewhere than the saturated UK market). its going to be a long couple of years pouring over every claim and counter claim, most of which will be full of bias and bluster to furnish agendas, probably a good idea to switch off from the whole thing and come back in 2019 to see what the final score is.

Deutsche bank are not moving jobs from Germany to London, they are moving London employees in various buildings to one building, I suspect that some of the 7,000 employees will be cut in the process and some will move into the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just like that eh? Writing bills, agreeing them in parliament, taking them through the Lords, just like that?
Yes, that is the normal process for legislation in our democratic system. 'Just like that' is a rather flippant way of describing the democratic legislative process though; there is usually quite a lot of consideration and debate that goes into the process as it passes on its way.

And it's going to removing all the little bits of regulation that the brexiteers don't like.
Actually, it will be 'all the little bits' that Parliament doesn't like. Only it won't be 'all the little bits' just like that; changes will be made and some of the laws will be repealed or replaced as and when the Government sees fit, after due consideration and debate in Parliament. I seem to remember remainers had some fantasy politics dream of reforming the EU - well, now they will at least be able to reform some of the laws they feel the EU should have reformed.

Just like that. Fantasy politics.
Yeh, right.......................................

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
From a UK job point of view its a bad thing, why would Delta if they owned 51% keep the number of heads in the UK?

They would not need to.
Fair enough. You'll be glad to know that it's not happening, then. Well, not unless the UK government decide to change it at a later date.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The sovereignty of Parliament will be bypassed in most of the changes to incorporated EU law.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Or the far more likely none of the above.

You don't think anyone is sensible enough to opt for transitional arrangements rather than grounding flights causing chaos then.

World largest Sovereign wealth funds seem OK with the risk.

I'm adding this to your Brexit predictions LIST.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I see that Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, was not part of the process to draft the Article 50 letter.

Odd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here