Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
It's not so much the lies that are making me vote remain per-se, but more the fact that the leave campaign cannot, or simply refuse, to TRUTHFULLY tell me what life will be like if we vote leave. If I don't know that, I ain't gonna vote for it. I know what life is like remaining in the EU, and better that than something I don't know.

It'll be the same except we have a proper immigration system and control of our lawmaking process. What are you expecting people to be untruthful about, that gremlins will come and attack us ??!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But what if the Leavers miraculously came up with a coherent arguement to leave?

Anyway, I hope it was a big fat Merkel sized X by REMAIN

Having literally just spoken to a poor Canadian lad who is running a small business here and is super stressed about his visa application which has now taken 6 months to process I am fully in. I don't want that crap for my fellow country men; I want them to have opportunities.

You hope correct. :thumbsup:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm sure I'll end up saying the same thing in 40 years too.

Maybe you will maybe you'll have left for pastures new,for Brighton's sake let's hope not.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Corbyn says workers rights will be protected by the EU and the real threat is the Conservative government. That's the same Conservative government that is vigorously supporting his Remain stance. Something doesn't stack up.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What Corbyn said about voting in on the 23rd June and then campaigning for reform of the EU on the 24th June is the key here.

Cameron wants the EU corporatist status quo, Corbyn wants a version of the EU that would reject their domination, so despite being diametrically opposed to what they want the EU to be they still support the same outcome.

One of them has to be wrong...............so, on the basis that Cameron is the current PM the reality is that a vote for remain is a vote for Cameron and his Tory vision of EU wide free markets, zero hour contracts, institutional privatisation, TTIP and austerity.

Those who think otherwise are not dealing with this political reality...........they are deluded fools.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Suppose it is a remain,i think it will be there, will not be a need for a 2020 General election,Corbyn is unelectable and everything is so wonderfully wonderful in the EU the economy is fine it's all good and dandy....job done....

Relieving me of witholding my Conservative 'protest' vote for the way Dave Cameron has gone about proceedings during this referendum.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Do you think the EU politicians are surprised at how much genuine antipathy exists towards the EU in this country? I mean the public have been fed every horror story possible about the Brexit impact and to date there are still large numbers of people saying "you know what, I would still rather get out". If the EU worked at all on any level, this should have been an absolute shoo-in for Remain. The fact that its not speaks volumes.

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
It'll be the same except we have a proper immigration system and control of our lawmaking process. What are you expecting people to be untruthful about, that gremlins will come and attack us ??!!

Thing is only about 10% - 14% of acts of parliament are directly related to EU legislation with the lower figure directly enacting EU requirements and the remaining 4% being influence by the EU therefore it seems like we do have control of our lawmaking process. So Brexit claims we don't are a complete fallacy and really don't stand up to scrutiny! Secondly Brexiteers do seem, to me any way, to be mixing up the courts. Firstly the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) ensures EU law is interpreted and applied the same in every EU country; ensuring countries and EU institutions abide by EU law. Then there is the European Court of Human Rights that is not part of the EU. It hears applications alleging that a contracting state has breached one or more of the human rights provisions concerning civil and political rights set out in the European Convention on Human Rights and its protocols. The convention currently has something like 47 states as part of the Council Of Europe and its more than likely that the missed informed Brexiteers (the numpties) are getting hot under the collar about this but this has nothing to do with the EU.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It most definitely will NOT be the same - even the Leave campaign admits there will be a material economic shock - no one knows how long this will last, but it could easily be lengthy. It will take a VERY long time to renegotiate all the trade deals, and the rest of the EU will almost certainly shove us out when the two year deadline elapses. So, come Summer 2018 we will be out of the EU with no negotiated trade deals. 45% of our exports are to the EU, and all the companies concerned (and hence employees of those companies) will be negatively impacted. Scotland will have another Referendum, vote to leave the UK, and stay in the EU. Who knows what will happen politically after that. There's a good chance the far right of the Tory party will form a government, and then the problems will REALLY begin. Full scale privatisation of the NHS, break-up of the BBC, tax cuts for the rich, repealing most of the labour laws that protect the average Joe....the list goes on. This is the problem - Vote Leave means we run the real risk of being governed by the loony Boris/Gove public school Oxbridge cohort with ZERO understanding of life for 99% of the population. Added to which we will lose our freedom of movement within the EU, and have to accept our lowly position in the world as will befit a nation with 1% of the population. We will be Billy No Mates with no power and no political leverage. We will probably have more control of our immigration, but that will be a very small crumb of comfort. And lawmaking will be controlled by Boris, Gove and their cronies - good luck to anyone who prefers that to the current position!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It most definitely will NOT be the same - even the Leave campaign admits there will be a material economic shock - no one knows how long this will last, but it could easily be lengthy. It will take a VERY long time to renegotiate all the trade deals, and the rest of the EU will almost certainly shove us out when the two year deadline elapses. So, come Summer 2018 we will be out of the EU with no negotiated trade deals. 45% of our exports are to the EU, and all the companies concerned (and hence employees of those companies) will be negatively impacted. Scotland will have another Referendum, vote to leave the UK, and stay in the EU. Who knows what will happen politically after that. There's a good chance the far right of the Tory party will form a government, and then the problems will REALLY begin. Full scale privatisation of the NHS, break-up of the BBC, tax cuts for the rich, repealing most of the labour laws that protect the average Joe....the list goes on. This is the problem - Vote Leave means we run the real risk of being governed by the loony Boris/Gove public school Oxbridge cohort with ZERO understanding of life for 99% of the population. Added to which we will lose our freedom of movement within the EU, and have to accept our lowly position in the world as will befit a nation with 1% of the population. We will be Billy No Mates with no power and no political leverage. We will probably have more control of our immigration, but that will be a very small crumb of comfort. And lawmaking will be controlled by Boris, Gove and their cronies - good luck to anyone who prefers that to the current position!

Yeah, but apart from that··········

I agree with every word

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i see, vote leave is a vote for NHS privitisation? :rolleyes: on other hand, vote remain means having TIPP, which will lead to the privitisation of the NHS. :wink:

its got to sharks jumping sharks now.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Do you think the EU politicians are surprised at how much genuine antipathy exists towards the EU in this country? I mean the public have been fed every horror story possible about the Brexit impact and to date there are still large numbers of people saying "you know what, I would still rather get out". If the EU worked at all on any level, this should have been an absolute shoo-in for Remain. The fact that its not speaks volumes.

Surely it's the other way around. Given that just about everyone in the country has some level of suspicion/concern/antipathy towards the EU, it is remarkable that more than half the population still appears ready to vote Remain. Apart from the economic arguments, the only logical explanation is that the majority understand that the alternative is NOT a nice cosy GB, but a country governed by a few elite who have zero love of the NHS or any other public institution. The fear of Boris & Gove is greater than the fear of Merkel :)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You forgot plague of locusts and magnetic polar shift

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
it most definitely will not be the same - even the leave campaign admits there will be a material economic shock - no one knows how long this will last, but it could easily be lengthy. It will take a very long time to renegotiate all the trade deals, and the rest of the eu will almost certainly shove us out when the two year deadline elapses. So, come summer 2018 we will be out of the eu with no negotiated trade deals. 45% of our exports are to the eu, and all the companies concerned (and hence employees of those companies) will be negatively impacted. Scotland will have another referendum, vote to leave the uk, and stay in the eu. Who knows what will happen politically after that. There's a good chance the far right of the tory party will form a government, and then the problems will really begin. Full scale privatisation of the nhs, break-up of the bbc, tax cuts for the rich, repealing most of the labour laws that protect the average joe....the list goes on. This is the problem - vote leave means we run the real risk of being governed by the loony boris/gove public school oxbridge cohort with zero understanding of life for 99% of the population. Added to which we will lose our freedom of movement within the eu, and have to accept our lowly position in the world as will befit a nation with 1% of the population. We will be billy no mates with no power and no political leverage. We will probably have more control of our immigration, but that will be a very small crumb of comfort. And lawmaking will be controlled by boris, gove and their cronies - good luck to anyone who prefers that to the current position!

..... Boom

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Your right. You got to look for the information yourself. Today RT news featured the protests in France, featured the breakdown in communication between the German and Turkish governments, this all shapes the EU, we wouldn't get this news on the BBC. All we get is poncey crap about Corbyn and workers rights, which we had before the EU anyway. If people are basing their vote because membership fee quoted might be wrong that is pathetic, because they are completely missing the point and have not looked deep enough In to the EU

This is really great. In the space of a few minutes we have had claims from one Brexit quarter that the British media is pro-Remain and EU-funded and from another that if you really want to find unbiased journalism you should watch a Russian television station.

This sort of stuff simply makes more people likely to vote Remain.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

Could write something not dissimilar for when the EU implodes.

I'm quite surprised that you so firmly believe that a country of our size cannot be successfully independent. Is it because of the complexity of the unwinding process? Or because you believe nation states can only survive these days as part of a bigger group?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i see, vote leave is a vote for NHS privitisation? :rolleyes: on other hand, vote remain means having TIPP, which will lead to the privitisation of the NHS. :wink:

its got to sharks jumping sharks now.

it also appears the remainers think the tories will be in power forever ...........corbyn must be a waste of space.i suppose

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cameron wants the EU corporatist status quo, Corbyn wants a version of the EU that would reject their domination, so despite being diametrically opposed to what they want the EU to be they still support the same outcome.

thats because the EU is all things to all people. actually, the EU isnt specifically corporatist, its bureacratic and open to lobbying. so any group that can raise a voice can wield large influence, be that companies, NGOs, policy institutes, trade unions special interest groups or anything resumbling a guild. the individual is discarded, there's no room for the views of the people. so i can see how it suits left and right a like even if they have different objectives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here