Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You need to get out more.

:D quite possibly although I thought some of the NSC responses were predictably dismissive.

Quesion Time was broadcast from Wakefield, Yorkshire. Those northern twats don't even want to be part of the UK, neve r mind Europe.

"Gods country" my arse.

Glad my kids don't go to school in Wakefield

Me too, I have never seen so many thick necks. The whole male population seemed to be built for door work.

Rather proves the point some audience members were making.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I am sure the people of Wakefield will be pleased to find that their next wave of migrant health workers are more likely to be Pakistani than Spanish. We know how popular Muslim migrants are up there. But maybe, in the event we leave the common market and our economy takes a dive, less British doctors and nurses will be looking at a move to Australia.

I also forget that northerners are racist too.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He may not be aware but we're debating the Single Market because our access to it is essential to the economic health of the UK. ???

He seemed very aware that voting Leave = ending our membership of the Single Market as did the then PM... Chancellor ... Boris ... Gove, Me ... Jim in the West ... you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
He seemed very aware that voting Leave = ending our membership of the Single Market as did the then PM... Chancellor ... Boris ... Gove, Me ... Jim in the West ... you.

Quite unbelievable the bloke on the far right on the QT panel criticises the elite given his upbringing and the fact his company regularly buys multi million pound property portfolios. About as far from working class as possible.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I remember this fellow was quoted many times and was a supporter of Remain. Obviously he is a very clever person and his views were respected by many.

You’re making a TERRIBLE mistake’ Stephen Hawking slams Remain plot to keep Britain in EU
STEPHEN HAWKING today blasted scheming Remoaner MPs who are trying to subvert the referendum result and keep Britain in the EU, telling them: “You’re making a terrible mistake.”
The renowned physicist, who supported staying in the Brussels bloc, said politicians should not dismiss the Brexit vote by characterising leave backers as ‘thick’
And in a broadside at out of touch politicians like Lib Dem leader Tim Farron he accepted concerns over globalisation are “absolutely understandable”, even while admitting he is a member of the scorned liberal elite.
Mr Hawking, who is Britain’s best known scientist and a respected thinker, made the remarks on the same day new Lib Dem MP Sarah Olney vowed to work to overturn the referendum result.

In a comment piece for The Guardian he said the world was entering the “most dangerous moment in the development of humanity” due to environmental concerns and the collapsing trust in political establishments across the globe.
Mr Hawking, who openly admitted to being part of an intellectual elite in Cambridge, said that world leaders “need to acknowledge that they have failed and are failing the many”.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...wking-Remain-MPs-subvert-EU-referendum-result

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Quote Originally Posted by deletebeepbeepbeep View Post
You need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Quesion Time was broadcast from Wakefield, Yorkshire. Those northern twats don't even want to be part of the UK, neve r mind Europe.

"Gods country" my arse.
Quote Originally Posted by nicko31 View Post
Glad my kids don't go to school in Wakefield
Quote Originally Posted by Baldseagull View Post
Me too, I have never seen so many thick necks. The whole male population seemed to be built for door work.

Dear oh dear, i wonder what the response would be if these comments had been posted by those in favour of Brexit and so called "right wing" views.
I think the usual card and expletives would have been used many times.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Quite unbelievable the bloke on the far right on the QT panel criticises the elite given his upbringing and the fact his company regularly buys multi million pound property portfolios. About as far from working class as possible.

A bit like Boris/Gove fighting the establishment or Trump draining (repopulating) the swamp. Mind you having a privileged upbringing or considerable wealth doesn't necessarily enrol them in the elite/establishment or disqualify them from having concerns about people less fortunate than themselves (or respecting the referendum result). Just makes it harder to believe there isn't some ulterior motive at play .. like personal ambition/vanity.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A bit like Boris/Gove fighting the establishment or Trump draining (repopulating) the swamp. Mind you having a privileged upbringing or considerable wealth doesn't necessarily enrol them in the elite/establishment or disqualify them from having concerns about people less fortunate than themselves (or respecting the referendum result). Just makes it harder to believe there isn't some ulterior motive at play .. like personal ambition/vanity.

It just comes across as a bit rich him trying to put across that all remainers are part of some elite. I voted remain because if I miss three paychecks I'm out on my arse with the other poor *******s on the streets of Brighton, and I worry with Brexit that could seriously happen. Not because I'm part of some sort of 'liberal elite'.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

So? It's a bad idea. The reason the govt and everyone else is trying to walk away from it is because they know how damaging it is. We're desperately trying to 'have our cake and eat it' as the memo says. As predicted EU has us over a barrel because we will and should not sacrifice thousands upon thousands of jobs and a huge swathe of the economy to Brexiteers economically illiterate fanaticism.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It just comes across as a bit rich him trying to put across that all remainers are part of some elite. I voted remain because if I miss three paychecks I'm out on my arse with the other poor *******s on the streets of Brighton, and I worry with Brexit that could seriously happen. Not because I'm part of some sort of 'liberal elite'.

Completely agree there is far to much lazy generalising on both sides.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh dear,still going then?I do feel sorry for the lovely people of Wakefield being maligned on here by idiots the locals would eat for breakfast.None of your craft-beer sipping softies would survive a night on the Westgate run!:cheers::lolol:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So? It's a bad idea. The reason the govt and everyone else is trying to walk away from it is because they know how damaging it is. We're desperately trying to 'have our cake and eat it' as the memo says. As predicted EU has us over a barrel because we will and should not sacrifice thousands upon thousands of jobs and a huge swathe of the economy to Brexiteers economically illiterate fanaticism.

Economically illiterate. Don't make me chuckle.

This "you are wrong because you're stupid" argument is really getting on my nerves. You're not quite as smart as you think you are.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Ahem .. your forgetting the minor matter of democracy. Your (Remains) argument was broadly based on economic factors including membership of the Single Market. The Leave side prioritised sovereignty, 'taking back control' in numerous areas including immigration, the primacy of UK law, making our own trade deals and where UK taxpayers money goes. A majority rejected your argument and expect their priorities to take precedence when we negotiate our future relationship with the EU . Which includes the cost for future access to the single market.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I understand your concerns, but why do you think this might be the case if/when we leave the EU?

We have had very hard economic times whilst being part of the EU (and good times). Being part of the EU has not helped the poor people of Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece and France stay in employment. These countries (the people) suffer terribly with high levels of unemployment.

I am not claiming the economy will be better if/when we leave the EU, but I am saying that being a member of the EU does not guarantee good levels of employment.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I understand your concerns, but why do you think this might be the case if/when we leave the EU?

We have had very hard economic times whilst being part of the EU (and good times). Being part of the EU has not helped the poor people of Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece and France stay in employment. These countries (the people) suffer terribly with high levels of unemployment.

I am not claiming the economy will be better if/when we leave the EU, but I am saying that being a member of the EU does not guarantee good levels of employment.

A bit of sense amongst the panic and prophecies of gloom.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Whatever your political view on Brexit it is incorrect to claim it is economically illiterate.
I would argue that an economic structure that admits members on the basis of fraudulently achieved entrance criteria (organized by Goldman Sachs) is economically illiterate. A common currency without a shared banking system and financial
flows from rich to poor areas is economically illiterate. Leaving such a system at a time of shifting trade patterns is a political judgement and will simply set the terms for a new economic direction. Not so different from the new direction set when we joined.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember this fellow was quoted many times and was a supporter of Remain. Obviously he is a very clever person and his views were respected by many.

You’re making a TERRIBLE mistake’ Stephen Hawking slams Remain plot to keep Britain in EU
STEPHEN HAWKING today blasted scheming Remoaner MPs who are trying to subvert the referendum result and keep Britain in the EU, telling them: “You’re making a terrible mistake.”
The renowned physicist, who supported staying in the Brussels bloc, said politicians should not dismiss the Brexit vote by characterising leave backers as ‘thick’
And in a broadside at out of touch politicians like Lib Dem leader Tim Farron he accepted concerns over globalisation are “absolutely understandable”, even while admitting he is a member of the scorned liberal elite.
Mr Hawking, who is Britain’s best known scientist and a respected thinker, made the remarks on the same day new Lib Dem MP Sarah Olney vowed to work to overturn the referendum result.

In a comment piece for The Guardian he said the world was entering the “most dangerous moment in the development of humanity” due to environmental concerns and the collapsing trust in political establishments across the globe.
Mr Hawking, who openly admitted to being part of an intellectual elite in Cambridge, said that world leaders “need to acknowledge that they have failed and are failing the many”.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...wking-Remain-MPs-subvert-EU-referendum-result

Remarkable words from a remarkable man. Respect.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Remarkable words from a remarkable man. Respect.

He didn't say Brexit was a good idea. Far from it.
The bit Soulman missed out of the express' take on the interview was:

Speaking about Brexit, he added: “It was, everyone seems to agree, the moment when the forgotten spoke, finding their voices to reject the advice and guidance of experts and the elite everywhere."

He's only repeating it was an anti-establishment vote, **** all to do with the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here