Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lingard in full England squad

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
That is an awful squad. It's Malta and Slovenia ffs, with respect to them let's blood some youngsters or try out the likes of Dann and Shawcross. What's the point in returning to old plodders like Jagielka and Johnson.

Shawcross was tried before. The night Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored 4 goals against England. He currently plays for the team 19th in the Premier League with a goal difference of -11. That will be why he's not in the squad.

Qualifying matches are not times for experimentation. That's what you use friendlies for.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Lost count of the times I've said on here Lingard was a fine player when he was with us. Had this knack of finding space when there wasn't any and extremely intelligent running off the ball. So obviously well coached.

But you had to actually watch him to see that.

Whether I'm happy about him being in an England side is another matter though.

Just thought this was worth a bounce. Even me as one of his staunchest supporters on here was skeptical about him being in the England side. What does everyone think now?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just thought this was worth a bounce. Even me as one of his staunchest supporters on here was skeptical about him being in the England side. What does everyone think now?

Yeah his movement was always great even when with us, as decent as he was for us I didn't see him breaking into the Utd side though, so fair play to him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That was a sensational goal yesterday. He does seem to have that in his locker for the big occasion - remember that glorious strike against the filth in the FA Cup Final. He was bang average for us, but he's come on leaps and bounds these last couple of years at Utd, and is well worth his place in the squad now IMO.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah his movement was always great even when with us, as decent as he was for us I didn't see him breaking into the Utd side though, so fair play to him.

Seems to be his M.O. breaking into teams and making himself indispensable.

I've definitely noticed post-Albion, there's a higher than average number of times I think 'Why's no one marking Lingard?' I can only assume this is related to his exceptional off the ball running. I would argue that the pure possession style that we were playing at the time we had him didn't suit him at all, he didn't really get the space to take up dangerous positions as he appears to be doing for England at the moment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
That was a sensational goal yesterday. He does seem to have that in his locker for the big occasion - remember that glorious strike against the filth in the FA Cup Final. He was bang average for us, but he's come on leaps and bounds these last couple of years at Utd, and is well worth his place in the squad now IMO.

I felt (and I'm prepared for the flaming here) that you didn't really get an appreciation for what he did unless you really watched him. My position at that time in ESU was very helpful for that, I'm not sure I would have noticed much had I been in the North.

No doubt he has improved but the things he did well with us remain the things he does well now at a higher standard.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I felt (and I'm prepared for the flaming here) that you didn't really get an appreciation for what he did unless you really watched him. My position at that time in ESU was very helpful for that, I'm not sure I would have noticed much had I been in the North.

No doubt he has improved but the things he did well with us remain the things he does well now at a higher standard.

And playing with better players makes a huge difference to his type of player. My son and I both watched him play for us, the same games and from the same part of the ground. I raved about him, thought he was excellent, most of the time for us, my son thought he was a waste of space, and we should have sent him back to Manchester.
Different opinions.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He was good for us and has developed well. BHA is playing a part in England's World Cup success - great isn't it :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I think he was better than "bang average" with us. As has been said many times ( [MENTION=14921]spring hall convert[/MENTION] on here, but many others elsewhere) his movement off the ball was superb with us. His finishing wasn't all that and he needed to beef up because he wasn't strong enough on the ball. Personally, I always wondered about his finishing, but he seems to have addressed that.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I thought he was MoM yesterday. His movement off the ball was genius at times, and his work rate despite the amount of kicks he received was second to none.

Or was that my albion tinted specs?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I thought he was MoM yesterday. His movement off the ball was genius at times, and his work rate despite the amount of kicks he received was second to none.

Or was that my albion tinted specs?

He was only the width of a post and a poor finish away from being in the reckoning for the Tunisia game as well imo.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here