Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lingard in full England squad

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Lost count of the times I've said on here Lingard was a fine player when he was with us. Had this knack of finding space when there wasn't any and extremely intelligent running off the ball. So obviously well coached.

But you had to actually watch him to see that.

Whether I'm happy about him being in an England side is another matter though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He is only a young winger! Adding to that LVG played him often in a defensive role. We may find it odd that hes been called up, however at least he is the future unlike Cahill, Jags and Rooney who have all been terrible this season.

He is 24 in December.. younger than that lot, but not exactly young

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Andros Townsend has replaced Raheem Sterling in the squad due to an as yet unspecified injury.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The only good thing about the international break is that it gives Beram more time to recover from his injury.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He is 24 in December.. younger than that lot, but not exactly young
if 24 is not young then im confused. He has the potential to play in a world cup and a euros before he hits 30.

Cahill and Jags will be no where near the team in two years and Rooney maybe struggling if his current decline is anything to go by.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I'm fairly sure Lingard's already been called up to past squads? Why's it such big news?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Still think Defoe has got it in him. One of those players who England managers don't seem to like (same as Crouch) but who are goal scorers.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I still feel Michael Keane from Burnley is one of the best young English CB's.

Only reason Smalling and Stones get called up is because they're at "big clubs"

What? Smalling and Stones are probably England's 2 best centre backs. In this case, nothing to do with what club they play for. Michael Keane is good but he's nothing particularly special, in fact I'd go so far as to say that our very own Dunky is better!

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
What? Smalling and Stones are probably England's 2 best centre backs. In this case, nothing to do with what club they play for. Michael Keane is good but he's nothing particularly special, in fact I'd go so far as to say that our very own Dunky is better!

That's your opinion and mind was mine, you can't tell me you don't think players get overlooked because of who they play for?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
That's your opinion and mind was mine, you can't tell me you don't think players get overlooked because of who they play for?

Of course they do, very often and it's a real shame that that's the case, but with this I'd say it's fair. Smalling was fantastic last season for Man United, one of the better CBs in the league and Stones has immense potential and has been showing it in his first few games with City.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Of course they do, very often and it's a real shame that that's the case, but with this I'd say it's fair. Smalling was fantastic last season for Man United, one of the better CBs in the league and Stones has immense potential and has been showing it in his first few games with City.

I did say ONE OF the best in OP.

If you look at the stats, Keane has been one of the best defenders in the league this season for tackles, interceptions, duels etc and on and on. I know Burnley have conceded a fair few but he's been standout every time

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Good player with excellent movement, had a great game against Stoke on Sunday I thought. Much better than 2/3 years ago when he played for us. He might not play for a top 6 team for the whole of his career but will be a good honest player.

Not sure whats wrong with selecting a young player who's contributing well to a team who are currently 6th in the Premier League?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Glenn Johnson?!?!?

Must be Southgate's way of saying that he isn't interested in the job full-time. He does realise that this is a World Cup Qualifier doesn't he?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Lingard starts today.

The last 3 times Lingard has played at Wembley, he has scored a goal.

I think his call-up is merited. Compared to a few years ago, England are not loaded with natural wide players. He has had a decent few months playing for a team not firing on all cylinders and he has sometimes produced in big matches when more esteemed colleagues have not, no time more so than the FA Cup final when the match was on a knife-edge in extra time and his team had been reduced to 10 men.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here