Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The current yellow card count

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think yesterday you could have been booked for possession of an Albion shirt or looking slightly bewildered about some of the decisions; after all, all the cards came our way. I can only think that Knocky ran in front of Wednesday fans having just scored, but then, he couldn't do much else as their ground tends to be full of Sheffield Wednesday fans! What was he supposed to do? Manfully shake hands with his team-mates and stride purposefully back to our half?! Get real, ref!

What you say may be perfectly true, but players have received fair warning. Officials are going to stamp down even harder on this this season. Another unnecessary booking really.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All the posters criticising our players for the yellow cards clearly don't understand the game and have never played competitive sports. Years and years of normal play has been changed overnight and the players passion in the heat of the fight has to change overnight it's not quite that easy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the posters criticising our players for the yellow cards clearly don't understand the game and have never played competitive sports. Years and years of normal play has been changed overnight and the players passion in the heat of the fight has to change overnight it's not quite that easy.

Nothing has really changed because swearing and dissent always carried a booking it is just the refs application of the rules that have changed and they are applying it more rigidly. Children are brought up to do neither in a match.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I wish refs would start giving cards for the stuff that really pisses me off, rather than things like 'excessive goal celebrations.'

Top of my list would be:

Simulation
Shirt pulling
Deliberate blocking of opponents at corners / free kicks, with no intention of going for the ball
Luminous boots
Ridiculous beards
Arms covered in tattoos
Getting off the team bus wearing huge headphones
Crossing yourself and offering up a prayer when coming on a second half substitute

Straight red for the last 5, so far as I am concerned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It is the referees interpretation of the rules, rather then the rules themselves which have changed.

In any case what would you recommend then?, just letting players carry on as they were, and risk them missing many more games than neccesary through suspensions?

I'm sorry but I reiterate, clubs knew the rules before the start of the season, so players just need to adapt to them. It isn't just the Albion, the same rules apply to everyone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

What a load of bull.

At the end of the tenth (10) game of the season Murray sarcastically claps a decision from another card happy ref.
A totally braindead move that earned him a card.

It's got fook all to do with playing competitive sport and everything to do with being to stupid to realise there's consequences for acting like a spoiled little brat.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Anybody else remember when it was VERY rare for the ref to get his little book out and take somebody's name?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It is the referees interpretation of the rules, rather then the rules themselves which have changed.

In any case what would you recommend then?, just letting players carry on as they were, and risk them missing many more games than neccesary through suspensions?

I'm sorry but I reiterate, clubs knew the rules before the start of the season, so players just need to adapt to them. It isn't just the Albion, the same rules apply to everyone.

What a load of bull.

At the end of the tenth (10) game of the season Murray sarcastically claps a decision from another card happy ref.
A totally braindead move that earned him a card.

It's got fook all to do with playing competitive sport and everything to do with being to stupid to realise there's consequences for acting like a spoiled little brat.

I know the rules haven't changed and I'm not taking about the stupid yellows but Bruno and Baldock yesterday were very minor moans by them and didn't deserve cards. The Alex Fergeson style of play with players getting into the refs face all game it what needed to be stamped out not what we now have.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In the case of the red cards shown to Baldock and Stephens I am only counting the first yellow shown, then the red separately (and not adding the second yellow to the count for yellow cards).

I am not sure if the first yellow counts when a player is sent off for two yellows. so the list is a worse case scenario assuming the first yellow shown still counts to the totting up ban.

Got ya. I'm pretty sure they don't as you'd be getting punished twice. I don't think either yellow will count so they're both on one - perhaps someone can confirm?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know the rules haven't changed and I'm not taking about the stupid yellows but Bruno and Baldock yesterday were very minor moans by them and didn't deserve cards. The Alex Fergeson style of play with players getting into the refs face all game it what needed to be stamped out not what we now have.

Yep. And a couple of teams we've played at the amex this season have done that the whole game and got nothing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thanks for this. Just to clarify: have you separated out yellows from reds? In other words, has Stephens, for instance, picked up three yellows, and then the two further yellows that yielded him the red?

Are you counting Baldock & Stephens' yellows that lead to their red? If so, I don't believe they count as yellows essentially so both would be on one? I think....?

In the case of the red cards shown to Baldock and Stephens I am only counting the first yellow shown, then the red separately (and not adding the second yellow to the count for yellow cards).

I am not sure if the first yellow counts when a player is sent off for two yellows. so the list is a worse case scenario assuming the first yellow shown still counts to the totting up ban.

Got ya. I'm pretty sure they don't as you'd be getting punished twice. I don't think either yellow will count so they're both on one - perhaps someone can confirm?

For the purposes of clarification:-

When a player receives two yellow cards in the same match (and is therefore dismissed), he serves an immediate one-match ban (eg Dale Stephens missing the Wednesday game after being sent-off against Ipswich). The penalty for receiving these two cautions has therefore been received and served, and they are not counted in the cumulative total of cautions that will potentially lead to a ban for receiving 5 and then 10 yellows.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Baldock 3 Yellow 1 Red
Bong 5 Yellow
Bruno 2 Yellow
Duffy 3 Yellow 1 Red (Only 1 Yellow with us but all count towards possible suspensions)
Dunk 4 Yellow
Hemed 2 Yellow
Kayal 1 Yellow
Knockaert 4 Yellow
Murray 1 Yellow
Norwood 4 Yellow
Sidwell 1 Yellow
Skalak 1 Yellow
Stephens 3 Yellow 1 Red

Dunk, Knockaert and Norwood all 1 Yellow away from a ban.

Can't find the cut off dates for this season but last season it was 30th November for 5 Yellows, 2nd Sunday in April for 10 yellows and end of season for 15 yellows.

This list has some inaccuracies. In terms of the ongoing tally of cautions that will potentially lead to a ban for receiving 5 (and then 10) yellow cards, the current totals (including the Wednesday game on Saturday) are as follows:-

4 cautions: Dunk and Knockaert
3 cautions: Norwood
2 cautions: Bruno, Stephens, Baldock, Hemed and Duffy (who has recieved one caution with Albion and one with Blackburn)
1 caution: 7 players

Plus, Bong has received 5 cautions and already served a one-game ban, so 5 more bookings by the 2nd Sunday in March will result in a two-game ban

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Going by what AZ Gull has posted below they will both be on 2 yellows. Baldock got booked against Forest and Sheff Wed. Stephens against Brentford and Burton.

For the purposes of clarification:-

When a player receives two yellow cards in the same match (and is therefore dismissed), he serves an immediate one-match ban (eg Dale Stephens missing the Wednesday game after being sent-off against Ipswich). The penalty for receiving these two cautions has therefore been received and served, and they are not counted in the cumulative total of cautions that will potentially lead to a ban for receiving 5 and then 10 yellows.

Makes sense, I wasn't sure and makes a change for the FA/FL to do something logical.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All the posters criticising our players for the yellow cards clearly don't understand the game and have never played competitive sports. .

Sorry but that's twaddle. Go to any rugby match and you'll see players charge into other at full pelt - it's highly competitive. But you'll hardly ever see a player argue with a ref because they know they'll be penalised. It's not difficult

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Challenging the ref is "normal play"?. If someone tells you to button up it really isn't that difficult regardless of the circumstances.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I received a yellow card from Subway. Does that count?

160307_RSL_WebPromotionsPage(700x350)_SUBWAY.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here