Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cuba

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Here we go, at last something I'm an expert on. Fill yer boots NSC I'm in.
Veradero. Beautiful soft sand all the way. Great hotels.
Hop On/Off tourist bus runs the entire length of the strip to all hotels. Use it to get into the local town. Keep on it to drive past Al Capones house.
The local town is both touristy and local flavour. Some good restaurants at night.
Havana. It's a must do. From Veradero it is a coach trip away. Book the trip with an overnight show. You should get one morning free plus full guided tour of all the famous places you've seen on TV.
The old cars are just as you'd expect although Cuba is changing. In one of the trips into the local town haggle with a driver to take you back to the hotel. Quite cheap and worth it to drive along in a 1950's open top Cadillac.
Don't expect Coca Cola, McDonalds or much Western produce. 99% is imported from China but the Rum is good.
In Havana you will be taken to the old town, a world heritage area. In the square with the old church, far end is a brew pub. Food and ale is excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Drop them a small tip to keep the personal ash tray.
Currency. They use the Convertible Peso as tourist currency and that is what you have to use. Exchange at the hotel, rate is fixed. Word of warning though, check, double check and check again your money at the exchange before you walk away from the counter. Con artists.
In Havana you will be very very safe so walk around and go of the tourist track. Obviously don't be flash, but I always felt secure.
And finally you will get fed up with Ernest Hemingway.
Feel free to PM me.
It will be an experience.
Superb. Thanks!

And thanks to all who've posted, I knew NSC wouldn't let me down on this.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I went to Cuba 5 years ago. Lovely country and lovely people. Safe as houses, has the lowest crime rate in the Western Hemisphere, and the poster that reckoned he had his trainers knicked, if caught the culprit would get 7 years.
Took over loads of crayons and pens from the Poundshop, the kids love them. Left all my toiletries and some clothes when i left.
Took Pounds Sterling, easy to change and decent rate.
I woud go again in a heartbeat, but i daresay the Americans will spoil it soon.

Oh and the evening entertainment at the hotel was the best i have come across, some good music.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
One the best holidays I've ever done.
I stayed in the same part as you did. Did some of te normal tourist trips. Havana over night stay is a must. Phenomenal show and amazing city. So much going on. If the do a jeep tour with the locals do it, taken off road in to the "villages" which really does show the povert these people live in. On that trip there was a speed boat ride up the river, lobster fresh out the ocean for 7 dollars, amazing cocktails, swimming in an underground cave and so much more. I went at this time of year. Some cracking late in the day storms but weather was scorching apart from that.
I'd see as much as you can because in 10 years it will be so very different I think.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Unfortunately not. She's fluent in English swearing too.

I used to date a young Spanish lady, and actually went out of my way to get told off, it was so sexy and forgotten very quickly .... She once sent me to buy some new pots & pans and I came back with a scalextrix set..... Oh boy that was fun

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went 3 years ago, absolutely loved it
We toured the island, rather than stay in an inclusive resort, and saw the real country
Highlight was staying 4 nights in old Havana, wanted to go before the Americans arrived...guess it will be so different in a few years time

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Went 5 years back - the culture is so very differnt there - here's a few things.
Tourist Peso is fixed to the USD so if you use USD you will likely be paying twice for conversion - take GBP
Local Peso is fixed 25:1 to the tourist Peso - so if you tip 1 Peso [aka 1 USD aka ~80p] the local can spend this as £12 which goes a very long way.
As others have said, giving them things they can't buy is more important than tipping - silly things like tooth paste and soap seemed to be received like gold and diamonds. Pencils and paper for the kids is like Christmas - thier warmth and appreciation is utterly sincere.
To work in Cuba you must be Cuban - no outsiders allowed to work.
There is zero unemployment in Cuba - great memories of 6 men stood in a circle drilling the road up - only one drill, so each taking turns.
The colour of car reg-plates identifies if it is a government official, a taxi, a local or a rental/hire car.
National service is compulsory when leaving school at 18 - everyone must do 1 year. If you want to go on to uni - you must do 2 years National Service to be considered.
They are skillfull in "towel-art" - you'll see soon enough [don't forget to take photos]

I learned most of this when I spent an afternoon with a local. He was a weather-beaten man driving around in a horse and cart. When I hopped in with the missus and asked him to show me his town, I think he misunderstood [his English was not great, but way better than my Spanish] - he took me to his house. "Come see, my 3 horse, 2 cow and 40 chicken." We met his wife and daughter and he told me so much about Cuban life and history. I've never met a person so proud of owning so little - quite humbling.

Fascinating place, lovely people and a cultural experience quite unlike you will probably have had anywhere else. Enjoy.

Oh yes, Club Havana and a cigar is just awesome.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Trainers & Levi's
Security will offer you a good deal to 'swap' your old jeans and trainers. I expect a Rooney Utd shirt is better than sterling (money not the player).

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Anyone been? We're going next month for a couple of weeks. Staying in a hotel in Varadero but obviously want to explore a bit locally, spend a couple of days in Havana etc.

One thing that's confusing me is currency as some places say you should take US dollars and others that this is daft because of the 10% exchange rate surcharge. Looks like it's probably best just to take £ and use the exchanges there (carefully as they rip people off) but I'm not 100% sure. Cos it's a closed currency you can't get any changed until you get there from what I've read.

So. Any advice, recommendations etc etc?

Last year I went to Havana and Varadero (4 days in Havana 7 in Varadero).

When in Havana I hired a guide and driver in a 50's car for $90 (£70ish), He was an ex-Government translator that now teaches history at the University and does guides on the side to make a bit of extra moolah. He was very knowledgable about the history of Cuba and tailored the tour to our desires. I am happy to provide you with details for the guy when you are in Havana.

When in Havana also make sure you check out Floriditas where Hemmigway would go for his Mojito's (a bit of a tourist trap but got to be done). My experience with Cuban food in Havana is that the menu's pretty much where every you go are the same(Chicken, Lobster or Steak with rice and beans)

I also visited Vinales valledevinales_medium.jpg

Which if you have time is definitely worth checking out(We went with the same guide that showed us round Havana) it is however a 2 hour drive from cuba or 4 hour drive from Varadero. It is where they make all the cigars and coffee we spent the morning looking around Farms and sampling the coffee and cigars. If you want to buy cigars this is also the place to do it. We went to a place that sold tobacco to Montercristo and bought cigars for $1 each. In the afternoon we went on a boat tour through underwater caves which once again was absolutely terrific.

Varadero is like most beach resorts, not much to do apart from beaches and visiting the markets that all sell the same cuba toot. Don't expect service like other caribbean resorts however, Cubans although extremely friendly do not do 5 star service. Don't do the Jet Ski's they were made in 1960 soviet russia and are extemely slow and boring. Do do a sunset catamaran cruise however, it's a great way to see the coast line of Varadero. If you want any further advice give me a shout!

Oct 25, 2003
when we stayed in trinidad (the cuban trinidad not the other one) we stayed with a bloke who had been a military doctor in his youth and had worked in angola and various other revolutions. Also was a part of the cuban revolution and had loads of photos of him with castro, che guevara etc

i'd recommend the revolution museum in havana, it's jam packed with propaganda but very interesting. Also have a look around the hotel nacional de cuba in havana and maybe have a cocktail there. It's incredible looking at all the photos of the famous people to have stayed there- american gangsters etc. you can do a tour and they show you what was previously the 'mafia suite'. It's the hotel that inspired the cuban scenes in Godfather part two

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Here we go, at last something I'm an expert on. Fill yer boots NSC I'm in.
Veradero. Beautiful soft sand all the way. Great hotels.
Hop On/Off tourist bus runs the entire length of the strip to all hotels. Use it to get into the local town. Keep on it to drive past Al Capones house.
The local town is both touristy and local flavour. Some good restaurants at night.
Havana. It's a must do. From Veradero it is a coach trip away. Book the trip with an overnight show. You should get one morning free plus full guided tour of all the famous places you've seen on TV.
The old cars are just as you'd expect although Cuba is changing. In one of the trips into the local town haggle with a driver to take you back to the hotel. Quite cheap and worth it to drive along in a 1950's open top Cadillac.
Don't expect Coca Cola, McDonalds or much Western produce. 99% is imported from China but the Rum is good.
In Havana you will be taken to the old town, a world heritage area. In the square with the old church, far end is a brew pub. Food and ale is excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Drop them a small tip to keep the personal ash tray.
Currency. They use the Convertible Peso as tourist currency and that is what you have to use. Exchange at the hotel, rate is fixed. Word of warning though, check, double check and check again your money at the exchange before you walk away from the counter. Con artists.
In Havana you will be very very safe so walk around and go of the tourist track. Obviously don't be flash, but I always felt secure.
And finally you will get fed up with Ernest Hemingway.
Feel free to PM me.
It will be an experience.

Is the overnight show the Tropicano, remember going there which included a free drink - for 2 persons a bottle of rum and 2 cans of coke.
Stayed in Varadero for the millennium and loved every minute of Cuba a great country although still very rough around the edges 16 years ago?

We found most people reluctant to take money as tips other than the usual restaurant, hotel type workers but they really appreciated the smaller things in life for the children - pens, crayons, toothbrushes, toothpaste, comics, books, etc.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Is the overnight show the Tropicano, remember going there which included a free drink - for 2 persons a bottle of rum and 2 cans of coke.
Stayed in Varadero for the millennium and loved every minute of Cuba a great country although still very rough around the edges 16 years ago?

We found most people reluctant to take money as tips other than the usual restaurant, hotel type workers but they really appreciated the smaller things in life for the children - pens, crayons, toothbrushes, toothpaste, comics, books, etc.
Yes to the show. Booked with First Choice and used their trip. Overnight in the National Hotel, full of history but as a First Choice tourist we were shoved in the 'cheaper' side with breakfast in the basement. No 5* service for us. But walking around the garden and explore what you can of the hotel just gives the sense of history.
In the centre of Havana there are a load of steam trains, just left to rot. Everything is falling apart with very little money for repairs.
Interesting thing about the car plates mentioned earlier. There are designated 'lift' points in towns where a steward stands on the side of the road and stops certain cars who in turn have to give a free lift to a person going there way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was thinking of going with the mrs for a week but the flights seem pricey to me at £1K a pop... any pointers on cheaper fares ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Went Around five years ago, spent two weeks in guardalavacka (sp) with two days in Havanna. Absolutely loved every second of it. Friendliest people on earth who have so very little. Took over some pens, paper etc to hand out at a local school who were very apprechitiave of it. Havanna is an amazing city which unfortunately hasn't had much money spent over the last few years hence much of the old architecture is crumbling,
If you go to Havvana well recommend Club Tropicana - and yes the drinks were free (rum included in entrance fee, as were as many cigars as you wanted!)
Couple of things that made me laugh, going to a bar and ordering two pina coladas, charged about fiver (equivalent). For this I was given the drinks and two half bottles of rum. Once finished I went back to get a couple more and was given another two half bottles of rum. Said to the person that the pina colada mix was ok and didn't want the further half bottles to carry about for rest of day. Bar,an looked at me oddly and then said wanted equivalent of £4 ( or thereabouts!) the mixers are what pushes all drinks price up
secondly at the airport flying back, 200 cigarettes were around the same price as a pack of chocolate bars.

Would go go back in a heartbeat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here