Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

50 Years of Hurt - Half a century of England / FA disasters in one thread

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's actually more accurate to say "66 years of hurt with one glorious exception". We were crap before 1966 as well. I watched a British 1950s documentary about the 1954 World Cup, probably made just after it ended. We were playing Uruguay in the quarter-finals (yes at least we had got that far), and the plummy voiceover said something like "This was a chance for England to win back some of the sporting pride she has sadly lost over recent years". They showed the goals from our 4-2 defeat and then said something like "sadly it was yet another defeat."

Ever since the rest of the world learned to play the game we've always been poor and we've never been one of the top nations. If we were a club side we'd be Coventry City. They won a Cup once.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Keegan quiting the job whilst in the toilet at Wembley after losing to Germany!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
2002 still upsets me the most.

THAT Ronaldinho free kick. It's not fashionably to say but we had a really good team that year. If we'd got through that game then it was Turkey in the semi final and a POOR Germany in the final.

That was our chance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's actually more accurate to say "66 years of hurt with one glorious exception". We were crap before 1966 as well. I watched a British 1950s documentary about the 1954 World Cup, probably made just after it ended. We were playing Uruguay in the quarter-finals (yes at least we had got that far), and the plummy voiceover said something like "This was a chance for England to win back some of the sporting pride she has sadly lost over recent years". They showed the goals from our 4-2 defeat and then said something like "sadly it was yet another defeat."

Ever since the rest of the world learned to play the game we've always been poor and we've never been one of the top nations. If we were a club side we'd be Coventry City. They won a Cup once.

A 6-3 home defeat and the 7-1 away defeat to Hungary preceded that world cup.

England lost 5-1 at Wembley as far back as 1928 to Scotland too.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
2002 still upsets me the most.

THAT Ronaldinho free kick. It's not fashionably to say but we had a really good team that year. If we'd got through that game then it was Turkey in the semi final and a POOR Germany in the final.

That was our chance.

With Danny Mills at right-back, Trevor Sinclair in midfield not to mention Emile Heskey up front?

If we'd won our group, rather than finish second we'd have played Senegal-Turkey-South Korea to get to the final, not Denmark-Brazil-Turkey too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apart from qualifying for the 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986 and 1990 WC Finals you mean?

*No England fans were harmed in the making of that video :thumbsup:
You also qualified in 1998, so you have also actually qualified for a major tournament in the past quarter of a century. :thumbsup:

It is quite extraordinary that Scotland have NEVER gone beyond the group stages of a tournament. This is part of the reason it embarrasses me as an Englishman to consider Scotland any sort of football rival. We are absolute gash historically, but somehow you're significantly worse. Your record is trumped by footballing powerhouses such as Wales, Northern Ireland, and Iceland. And Denmark, the Czech republic, Austria, Switzerland, Greece... Christ, there are loads.

Come to think of it, pretty much all of Europe except Finland, Albania and the Baltic nations have gone further in a World Cup than you plucky porridge wogs. :lolol:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The blazer clad old boys at the F A who have thrown millions at foreign managers who can barely speak English and couldn't motivate for the life of them.

Rupert Murdoch pouring money into the game so now we have the lowest number ever of English players to consider. I read an average of 68 starting each week.
Mind you, that can also be true of Wales, Ireland and N. Ireland and they have just done ok.
Why do successful club managers turn into bumbling idiots when they get the England job?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You also qualified in 1998, so you have also actually qualified for a major tournament in the past quarter of a century. :thumbsup:

It is quite extraordinary that Scotland have NEVER gone beyond the group stages of a tournament.

It's always been powerhouse sides from outside Europe that have reached the knock-out stages of world cups by beating Scotland that are part of their group stage problem though, such as Peru, Costa Rica and Morocco.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
With Danny Mills at right-back, Trevor Sinclair in midfield not to mention Emile Heskey up front?

If we'd won our group, rather than finish second we'd have played Senegal-Turkey-South Korea to get to the final, not Denmark-Brazil-Turkey too.

Ignore me.

I've just looked at our 1998 team. That one's annoyed me more now.

I was 11 at the time so didn't quite realise what a good team that was! :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's always been powerhouse sides from outside Europe that have reached the knock-out stages of world cups by beating Scotland that are part of their group stage problem though, such as Peru, Costa Rica and Morocco.
Cheeky 1-1 draw against Iran anyone? :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ignore me.

I've just looked at our 1998 team. That one's annoyed me more now.

I was 11 at the time so didn't quite realise what a good team that was! :lolol:

I agree with you in regards to 1998, it was a better squad. Again, we didn't win our group then though and faced Argentina-Holland-Brazil to get to the final rather than Croatia-Germany-France.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Rob Green against USA

I saw this game in a sports bar in Boston. Down one end was a group of maybe 10 English lads getting pissed and (just a little) loud, singing various songs at the rather larger group of US fans (300?) in the rest of the bar. Typically, they only had one song (which we delighted in reminding them of) - "U.S.A. U.S.A." Green let that shocker through and they came up a second one: "Our Goalie doesn't suck". I started laughing at them, then stopped, as I thought about it - fair cop, really.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Euro 2004 - our best team imo, the only tournament we played with both Rooney and Owen together, and with Beckham and Gerrard and Scholes and Lampard all in the same team

First game, 1-0 up against France, missed a penalty and Zidane scored twice in injury time. Wonder what could have been if we'd won and taken that momentum forward. As it was the brilliant Rooney got injured early against Portugal in the quarters and we lost in penalties. Again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here