Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 managers tapped up by the Telegraph

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Also don't see Jimmy doing anything particularly bad or even committing to anything. Barnsley guy on the other hand will be in a lot of trouble. Be interested to hear others' opinions on JFH...?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Also don't see Jimmy doing anything particularly bad or even committing to anything. Barnsley guy on the other hand will be in a lot of trouble. Be interested to hear others' opinions on JFH...?

I read something today that sort of summed it up. Within the context of how football operates it probably seems quite normal.

In my head it's quite simple. If you working fulltime for a company and are even thinking taking from money from a potential supplier (even within a different context) - you need your head examined.

.. but then I don't work in football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not saying it's right but if the Telegraph wanted to name them, they'd have done so. They're probably hoping for more evidence to come their way but won't name names on the say-so of one agent. Sue, Grabbit and Runne would be on the phone quicker than you could say "Super injunction"

Ah, Sue Grabbit and Runne. If these fail, then I recommend Boots, Boots, Boots, Boots Marchinup and Downagain :lolol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Agree with this.

I wonder if the telegraph is going to release in batches of 3? 2 lesser offences (if any) and one major.

As if this is all they have got after Big Sam, it's a bit shit

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I read something today that sort of summed it up. Within the context of how football operates it probably seems quite normal.

In my head it's quite simple. If you working fulltime for a company and are even thinking taking from money from a potential supplier (even within a different context) - you need your head examined.

.. but then I don't work in football.

The fact that it seems quite normal is in my opinion alarming. In my view, he compromised his position by agreeing to be paid in this way.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's not tittle tattle. They'll have names and damning evidence. They wouldn't have gone this far without their lawyers giving the green light.

The Telegraph is watertight on these things. Remember the expenses scandal ?

They named names in the expenses scandal because they had been given evidence along with them. Other papers were offered the same package but weren't convinced. Which was their mistake.

This is somewhat different. All the Torygraph seem to have on the eight (or is it now seven?) appears to be the word of an unlicensed agent who was banned for match-fixing and they have passed the information on to the FA, who will bring their proven investigative powers to bear - remember the Stevens report into 17 suspicious transfers? No, neither does anyone else - and precisely nothing will happen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be in the minority, I usually am, but I dont think that Sam should have resigned after being set up by a newspaper trying to recover its failing readership. He was just hung out to dry in search of sales of the paper. They gave got one big scalp and all else will just fade into the dark.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I may be in the minority, I usually am, but I dont think that Sam should have resigned after being set up by a newspaper trying to recover its failing readership. He was just hung out to dry in search of sales of the paper.

He quite clearly talked about getting around rules, taking money, and didn't resign.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mutually agreed to leave with a £1m pay off. I personally see nothing wrong with anybody able to circumvent a rule which is obviously not very secure and fullproof in the first place. Isnt this what solicitors do all day long look for loopholes in the laws.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Mutually agreed to leave with a £1m pay off. I personally see nothing wrong with anybody able to circumvent a rule which is obviously not very secure and fullproof in the first place. Isnt this what solicitors do all day long look for loopholes in the laws.

You have a point. There is far more corruption in society than is often thought and some of it would not be exposed by the Telegraph for sociopolitical reasons.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd guess there's enough people on here that have played local non-league football to confirm that corruption, favours, bungs and backhanders run right the way through the game down to it's roots.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

It isn't just about laws, what about ethics and morals?

We live in a society that seems to applaud people that "get away with things", if everyone paid their dues and contributed to society in a positive way it would be better for all. Unfortunately life's not like that and there are too many that are happy to overlook their their own morals and responsibilities for personal gain.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007

And if that's what a commercial enterprise wishes to do then they can employ lawyers to help them. Rather than do that however they try and tap up insiders in the sport which is the behaviour the Telegraph exploited for their investigation.

The one person you would hope would have some integrity, loyalty to his employers and sufficient judgement to tell them where to go is the England manager. You would have thought that the fact Big Sam had landed the one job he probably thought he'd never get would be enough for him to do what it took to keep it. But no. Big Sam got a big chubby on for some extra spons and showed his lack of judgement, his lack of class and his greed driven stupidity.

It's a shame because he would probably would have done alright for England.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pre Jimmy Hill days there was always the 'money in the boot' especially for good amateur players, so not a new idea.

Indeed, and agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here